Day 28 and 29, strange energy drops, almost like low blood sugar? What gives...

suzytee

I'm on day 29 and have had a good run...no major issues throughout. But both yesterday after breakfast (about 1/1/2 hours after) and today both after breakfast and lunch, I have experience a strange feeling of energy loss...almost like low blood sugar but I'm not hungry to eat something. I haven't changed what I'm eating and know that I am compliant with the template...B- 3 eggs and about a cup of sauteed veggies, serving of berries with coconut flakes. L- large bowl of veggie beef soup made with bone broth and other leftover broths, 1 whole med. tomato with 2 spoonfuls mayo dressing. I just feel weak and am not sure what it is. I thought for a minute maybe I needed potassium. I happened to have keto sticks and checked and it was fine. I had a large glass of water and it seemed to subside, but I keep well hydrated so I can't figure out what the problem is. I should be a fat burning machine by now...day 29. Any thoughts ???

Well I am always well hydrated...I'm post menopausal...and I always have fruit for breakfast with lots of veggies..always carrots, so...well I had been taking all 3 teaspoons of Natural calm, one early in the day and 2 before bed, but I had cut back. So today I added back the 3rd teaspoon after breakfast. We shall see...though I'm already feeling weird in my legs. But it's day 30!! If the morning doesn't go well, I'll add in a sweet potato for lunch and see if that makes a difference. Still feeling no results from Natural calm at night. Oh well.....I do still heat up a bit at night so nothing I can do about that I guess.I"m going to start lowering the thermostat a wee bit each night and see if that helps.

I am feeling quite wobbly today...I have a sweet potato in the microwave..not sure how well I can do with my yoga...this is weird. The steps nearly did me in...muscles are certainly missing something. I have avoided bananas through this due to the sweetness and the fact that my son needed weight loss and he would have devoured them. Guess I'll pick some up today and see if that helps. Any other ideas?

Yes...at pretty much every meal...I read that early on...that we needed to salt...Magnesium overdose???? But in the beginning of my whole 30, I had this same feeling but not quite so much...as in just a weird feeling of weakness in my legs, so one of the moderators said I might need magnesium. I was having some leg cramping which has subsided. Well I will not take it tonight and see if tomorrow is better. If I stop taking the magnesium and feel better do you still think I need to check my blood levels? How long till it leaves my system?

I don't think it would be severe, but in the clinic I work in now we do not recommend supplements unless blood levels show a depletion since it's very easy to have to much.

Our theory is that if you are eating a nutritionally dense and diverse diet (which essentially we all are while on Whole30) there is no need for added supplements unless you truly have a deficiency. It should be noted that 2 teaspoons of Natural Calm has the same amount of Magnesium as ordered for pt's with a mild deficiency in Magnesium.

The wobbly legs (I'm using wobbly legs meaning your muscles can't hold you up, not that you are lightheaded/dizzy and feel faint) was a real red flag when reading your post since that was what we had to look out for when I worked in ob/gyne. Magnesium is a natural "muslce relaxer" too much will give you severe muscle weakness.

I didn't mean to cause alarm, but I felt obligated to say that this is something that could happen. Obviously you should speak to your doctor if your symptoms continue.

No I am glad you did....I was told early on that I should try it. I may try an Epsom salt bath instead. I have osteopenia so am very aware of getting enough magnesium and thought this could only help. It is so highly recommended on this site. I will just watch the next few days. Today was better. I did have sweet potato for breakfast and it wasn't so severe so maybe just more starch? I'm slender so it won't hurt weight at all. Thanks for taking time to follow up!

Archived