Not Eating Enough

Danni_L

Did anyone else have this problem when they started? Im only on day two so I think its just about tweaking my diet, plus Im not even half way through the book.

How do you guys up your calories / over all food?

I seem to remember having similar issues when I first cut out carbs for gluten related issues.

So far today Ive had:

B - Scrambled eggs with sausage and lettuce

L - Tuna Salad with Celery Sticks

S - Watermelon and strawberries

and dinner will be a thai jungle curry with chicken (this is curry minus the coconut milk).

Is adding Clarified butter, coconut milk etc to my food the best way to up my calories / fat? Im a total cheese addict so thats usually how I get my calories up, but I know this is a chance to learn new healthier ways to up my intake for the day. Any suggestions or links are really welcome.

Hi Danni! Your food intake does look pretty low. If you up the protein and fat with your meals you most likely will not feel the need for a sweet, fruit snack mid-day.

I think that so many of "us" life long calorie counting, fat counting, carb counting people find it hard to rethink so much if not all of what we have been taught our whole lives, So don't count. Fill your plate with healthy, lean protein, lots of veggies and some fat. You don't have to make a "happy plate" but fill it up and eat until you are truly satisfied.

Best of luck in your W30 adventure!

P.S. Be sure to check the label on your breakfast sausage as these types of meats typically have sugar in them. And if it does not have any sugar please send me a link for the brand. ;)

• Moderators

Lots of people do not eat enough. The Whole9 meal template tells you how much to eat - a palm-size portion of protein, as many eggs as you can hold in one hand, veggies to fill your plate cooked in a measure of fat as big as your thumb (and more if you are hungry). Review the template here - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf.

You need real vegetables in your diet. Lettuce and celery don't really measure up. Go for sweet potato, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, etc.

I'm not sure how you're feeling, but the first few days I had no appetite. I was an emotional battle for me to get dinner down - but I knew I needed it! If that's what you're experiencing, I promise your appetite will come back in a few days. Try serving your tuna on cucumber slices, or with carrot sticks. (And check out the firecracker tuna recipe on theclothesmakethegirl - it will change your life. Seriously.)

For breakfast, try adding some shredded or finely chopped vegetables into your eggs - I've become a huge fan of eggs with shredded zucchini, onion powder, and garlic powder.

For a snack, try to get something with a little more protein, like deviled eggs (or just hardboiled eggs). Baked sweet potatos with ghee are great, too, but not a huge source of protein.

Hope that helps!

Wow amazing guys, just logged in this morning and seen all the responses, thanks so much everyone.

Shelli I will double check - they are from an organic butcher near us so I assumed they wouldnt, but starting to learn from looking at packages you cannot assume with ingredients its crazy whats added into stuff!

Like you say Im so used to counting carbs, calories etc, its a shift to something new.

Kshacklett, you are right Im not feeling overly hungry, although I was a bit towards the end of the working day yesterday. Firecracker tuna recipe looks AMAZING thank you :)

Im really enjoying myself so far (only day 3 I know!), but so much fun to take out some time to look up recipes and use tasty natural ingredients. With this extra info I streamline it a bit more!

Thanks for all the info everyone, very much appreciated :)

I'm having a real problem with this too! I can't seem to eat enough at a meal to keep me full until the next one, so I end up snacking. I am on day 4 of my W30. My husband and I are doing it together and we are both having the same problem. He's less of a snacker, so he just goes hungry until it's time to eat again.

Here's what I've eaten today:

B- 2 scrambled eggs with chopped veggies (onion/red pepper); banana

L- 4 ounces ground beef, broccolini, 1/2 sweet potato

S- apple/almonds

D- salmon, asparagus, salad, 1/2 sweet potato

Any thoughts or suggestions? I've been dizzy and spacey today--not good when you're starting grad school!

I'm having a real problem with this too! I can't seem to eat enough at a meal to keep me full until the next one, so I end up snacking. I am on day 4 of my W30. My husband and I are doing it together and we are both having the same problem. He's less of a snacker, so he just goes hungry until it's time to eat again.

Here's what I've eaten today:

B- 2 scrambled eggs with chopped veggies (onion/red pepper); banana

L- 4 ounces ground beef, broccolini, 1/2 sweet potato

S- apple/almonds

D- salmon, asparagus, salad, 1/2 sweet potato

Any thoughts or suggestions? I've been dizzy and spacey today--not good when you're starting grad school!

question 1: can you really only hold 2 eggs in your hand? That seems low.

question 2: 4 oz ground beef is the bare minimum, I think. Is that the size of your palm?

I also don't see much fat other than the almonds, did you have dressing on your salad?

You could still be transitioning to fat burning (check Robin's template: http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole30-timeline/) and that might be why you are spacey.

I just tested and I get 3 eggs in my hand, maybe 4. I will try adding another egg tomorrow. The ground beef patty was about the size of my palm, so I think that was about right.

I did add fat--eggs and sweet potato were both cooked in coconut oil. We ended up skipping the salad at dinner, so the only fat there came from the salmon.

I guess I'm still trying to get a handle on portions. I tend to reach a point with food (esp. veggies) where I've hit my limit--not one more bite will go down. Maybe I just haven't found the right veggies or the right way to cook them--I'm going to keep trying though!

I've found is that if I'm getting hungry then I'm not getting enough fat. It also could be that your body isn't absorbing all the fat your eating... but that produces the same problem of hunger between meals.

at breakfast we cook our eggs in oil and have half an avocado each

lunch I generally add some kalamata olives and/or cashews

if I don't have enough fat at dinner I'll grab a few olives or cashews.

Archived