1st Whole 30- Day 8 and wondering...?

Hi all! My name is Jessica, and this is my first post :) I started my first Whole 30 on January 9 so I'm now on Day 8 and it's going quite well so far (very surprised by since I have a HUGE sugar issue). I'm following the meal map (protein, 2 veggies, healthy fat) for every meal and am really trying to vary the types of veggies and meats I've been eating. I've read "It Starts with Food" as well as the article that is posted on this site about what to expect during your W30, but I don't seem to be experiencing any of these symptoms. I'm not very tired (no more than normal), not cranky, no bad cravings, no "carb flu" symptoms...I'm wondering if this is normal? I prepared myself to have a difficult time the first 2 weeks of my W30 and since I haven't seen any of these symptoms I was warned about, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Any thoughts, feedback, or comments would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

I did my Whole 30 September to October last year. I had only one rough day, where I was crabby (day 5 for me). Other than that, I felt better than usual the whole time. It was a pleasant surprise, as I was anticipating a rougher first two weeks given my huge sugar addiction. Awesome for you!

I never get the "carb flu" either, although I did have a headache for a few days this time. I was expecting to feel crappy during my first W30 and it started off so well I didn't see the meltdown coming at day 23. It caught me totally offguard and nearly derailed the last week.

Not that you will have a meltdown at day 23. :) I'm just saying that different people experience different things, and be gentle with yourself if you experience something challenging a few weeks from now. The more I read this forum, the more I realize that it's not as uncommon as I thought.

I'm on Day 17 right now and asked something similar about 5-7 days into things. I haven't had one bad day, other than a slight headache upon waking up on Day 2. My mood is improved, my sleep is awesome, my energy/happiness is just better throughout the day and I can tell I've been losing weight. My first thought was "OMG I'm not miserable, I must be doing something wrong!" but after the calm reassurance of some people on here, I'm happy to report that every day has been great so far. No rough patches, no crankiness and no physical side effects. I guess these things just effect different people differently.

Rather than dwell on what I might be doing wrong and why I'm not cranky, I've decided to just appreciate the fact that I'm not. If I hit a rough patch at some point, I'll deal. If I don't, wooohoooo!!

Congratulations on your success so far and good luck with the rest of your Whole30!

way to go Jessica. I hope you kill the sugar dragon. I'm on day 29 and have only had one time when I have been crabby, that was on days 5 through 21!! I think I even snapped at Tom (the moderator who left a comment above). Other than for those days it's been a snap. As I've said elsewhere, I'm going to consider it a victory if I don't GAIN weight. Am I the only one who is actually going to GAIN weight?? Serve me right all of the FAT GRAMS I've consumed. Insane.

Anyway, Go Jessica.

I too am almost through my first week of W30...day 6 to be exact. Before I started, I cleared my calendar thinking I would have headaches and need naps during the day!! I even made sure to have my migraine meds refilled! I decided not to schedule any tennis matches thinking I was going to be miserable.

Having said all that....I have NEVER felt better. I have a great amount of energy (I used to nap daily), I am happy (I've had bouts of depression), and best of all I am trying new foods and loving them!!

But like you, I'm wondering "what am I doing wrong?!?" I don't feel like crap like everyone says you should. I know for certain I haven't had any sugar, art. sweetners, dairy (I even clarified pastured butter for the first time ever--so easy!), or grains.

I have 3 kids that I make meals for 3x a day. They are about as non-paleo as it gets!! I am not even craving any of the sweets they are eating. They are apologizing to me for eating these things in front of me and I keep telling them it's ok, I don't really even want it. Is this normal?!?!?! This is a completely new feeling for me and I LOVE it, but I must be doing SOMETHING wrong, right??!!

Yeah, I didn't have much of a carb flu either. I fully expected one - the holidays were a massive period of tons of sugar and grains. Maybe because I had a week between finding the Whole 30 and starting it (I found it after having gone grocery shopping for the week) I did ease off some, but still. Weird.

So far (not quite two weeks in) I've had a few dehydration headaches (my fault), am eating way more than I ever expected, and have lost weight (I'm not a scale addict; I had a mandatory weigh-in at work). Had a few instances where I was a bit touchy, but overall, I'm doing good. The tiredness that hit about mid-first week has mostly gone away, and I'm being way more productive at work and home!

Jessica,

That's awesome and I'm a bit jealous. My husband and I were pretty sleepy and took long naps during our first week. My last week, as well, I had a few days of being pretty tired even though I got a full 8 hours. I still have digestion and other issues that aren't fully healed so I attribute my sleepiness to that. It might catch up with you at a weird time, or you might not have any issues during the 30 days. Just count yourself fortunate and enjoy.

Archived