Depressed on Whole30

I saw quite a few posts about how Whole30 has helped their depression, but I'm actually having the opposite problem. I'm 16 days into my second Whole30 (the first was last October) my cravings are totally under control, but I'm not sleeping well, and am depressed. I'm also getting almost daily headaches. Depression is something I've struggled with on and off before, but was feeling fine before I started. I'm following the rules as perfectly as possible, getting exercise, and going to bed at a reasonable time, but I feel very sad and withdrawn. I haven't cheated or stopped, but I have considered it repeatedly and didn't even think about it the first time. There have been no other changes in my life aside from exercising more (in the mornings). Stress level is always on the high side, but has remained constant.

Sure. :) A typical breakfast is an egg cup (egg, ground turkey, kale, mushrooms, and red pepper) with either some sweet potato and avocado (post-heavy workout) or just avocado. Lunch is a big green salad with a chicken thigh, lots of raw veggies, and salad dressing made with olive oil mayo. About twice a week, I sub some other protein like tuna or turkey. I also usually have a piece of fruit at lunch. Dinner is usually something like mixed veggies cooked in coconut oil (about a teaspoon) with some lean protein like ground beef, chicken, or salmon. Other common dinners are coconut milk curry over chicken and veggies or a bun-less burger with baked sweet potato fries (coated in coconut oil).

I've been struggling with depressed feelings this W30 too and I think for me it has a lot to do with getting enough sleep. I see that you say you aren't sleeping well; do you have ways you know of to improve that? For me feeling down seems to be connected to getting less than eight hours of sleep.

My sleep is TERRIBLE. I don't know which one is the symptom and which is the cause, though. Regarding fats at dinnertime, what would help up the fat intake without significantly upping the amount of food? I typically don't have a really big appetite at dinner.

I'm in the PNW too and I also had a bout of 'depresssion' during the middle of my Whole30 (I'm on day 33 now). I put in quotes because I've never been diagonosed or had any issues with it before this Whole30. My last Whole30 was last June/July, so it may be a daylight thing.

Just last night, I found out that my Vit D levels were low on day 14 (the day I had blood drawn) so that really might be the case for you as well.

I can't tell you to get out into the sun ;) , but you may want to talk to your doctor about supplements again.

I'd add a sweet potato to your dinner - embrace the starchy veg! For real, starchy vegetables play a big role in production of serotonin. Your blood sugar level may be too low - when mine is too low I have headaches and feel completely depressed and withdrawn.

Archived