First Whole30--9 pounds lost, energy stability gained

captainninjapeters

Now that is exciting! I lost 1/3 of the weight I was trying to lose over the next 16 months in only 30 days. More importantly, I was eating enough good food to perform well during my fairly-rigorous workout on most of the 30 days. I never had to count a thing and I was never starving.

The bigger win is actually kicking my terrible and profound addiction to Diet Mountain Dew. I was up to 2L of the stuff everyday before my Whole30.... now I know I can make it days without caffeine. The surprising thing for me was how much more stable my energy was without caffeine. I never reached a point where I woke up before my alarm but after only a few minutes of waking up-- my brain kind of cleared and I felt awake. My favorite part of this was that I was awake and I was calm. I am not sure I realized it but all the caffeine was creating an anxiety-ridden, heart-pounding awake that was actually pretty stressful. This calm-awake feeling stayed with me through the day, my job and school performance has been better, I stopped crashing at 5pm everyday and it took less than a page of reading for me to fall asleep when it was time for bed.

My skin definitely did clear up some.

AND, my stomach never hurt. I have confirmed allergies to soy and milk protein, as well as Celiac disease, and despite eliminating these foods from my diet for the last few years my stomach rebelled on a fairly regular basis. In fact, after eating a bowel of GF, soy-free cereal with almond milk this morning (I start on day3 of reintro since I am not adding back dairy and gluten) my stomach is mad. So.. that's annoying, But, moving on...

This lifestyle was VERY gentle on my wallet. I saved a ton of money by not eating out, not buying multiple 22oz Diet Mtn Dew bottles during the day for $1.25, and by avoiding expensive drinks at the bar on weekends. I also gave up my favorite online shopping site for my Whole30---temperance.

I am going to take a break for a while. Due to my allergies my diet is already intrinsically paleo to a degree. I am giving up soda of all varieties for the rest of the year. I am going to try to make food choices that fuel my body and my ridiculous schedule. AND... I am coming back for a Whole45 on March 18. Thanks for all of the support! :ph34r:

Congrats!! As a fellow diet-soda-aholic, I understand how big it is to give that up. I'm almost at the end of my W30 and trying to decide if I'll allow my favorite (Diet Coke with Lime) once in awhile. I know I shouldn't, but I still miss it so....*sigh.*

Also it's amazing that you're saving money on this diet. Wish I could say the same! ^_^

JJB, vanilla coke zero and diet coke with lime used to be my FAVORITES. I said to myself one day, "self, it's been 4 months since you've had one, just treat yourself"

It was the most disgusting thing I'd ever tasted. Sickeningly sweet, tasted like chemicals. Whole shebang. Stupid taste buds.

Congrats!! As a fellow diet-soda-aholic, I understand how big it is to give that up. I'm almost at the end of my W30 and trying to decide if I'll allow my favorite (Diet Coke with Lime) once in awhile. I know I shouldn't, but I still miss it so....*sigh.*

Also it's amazing that you're saving money on this diet. Wish I could say the same! ^_^

I've definitely played this game. I grew up drinking diet pepsi as a kid. My mother (until 5 days ago! Thank you ISWF) drinks 8-10 cans PER DAY so it was a staple. It definitely took a few trials of giving it up and going back before I kicked it for good. I find that if I really think about what I want, its usually something fizzy (sub seltzer) or something "different than water" (sub flavored seltzer water, added fruit or ginger etc, or iced tea).

And like Renee said, it will probably taste gross. This last time I ordered a fountain soda at chipotle (I liked fountain soda more so never had anything at home just every so often when out), took a couple drinks, and threw that overpriced cup in the trash. Ick

Amazing!! I am so happy for you! Congrats!

Now that is exciting! I lost 1/3 of the weight I was trying to lose over the next 16 months in only 30 days. More importantly, I was eating enough good food to perform well during my fairly-rigorous workout on most of the 30 days. I never had to count a thing and I was never starving.

The bigger win is actually kicking my terrible and profound addiction to Diet Mountain Dew. I was up to 2L of the stuff everyday before my Whole30.... now I know I can make it days without caffeine. The surprising thing for me was how much more stable my energy was without caffeine. I never reached a point where I woke up before my alarm but after only a few minutes of waking up-- my brain kind of cleared and I felt awake. My favorite part of this was that I was awake and I was calm. I am not sure I realized it but all the caffeine was creating an anxiety-ridden, heart-pounding awake that was actually pretty stressful. This calm-awake feeling stayed with me through the day, my job and school performance has been better, I stopped crashing at 5pm everyday and it took less than a page of reading for me to fall asleep when it was time for bed.

My skin definitely did clear up some.

AND, my stomach never hurt. I have confirmed allergies to soy and milk protein, as well as Celiac disease, and despite eliminating these foods from my diet for the last few years my stomach rebelled on a fairly regular basis. In fact, after eating a bowel of GF, soy-free cereal with almond milk this morning (I start on day3 of reintro since I am not adding back dairy and gluten) my stomach is mad. So.. that's annoying, But, moving on...

This lifestyle was VERY gentle on my wallet. I saved a ton of money by not eating out, not buying multiple 22oz Diet Mtn Dew bottles during the day for $1.25, and by avoiding expensive drinks at the bar on weekends. I also gave up my favorite online shopping site for my Whole30---temperance.

I am going to take a break for a while. Due to my allergies my diet is already intrinsically paleo to a degree. I am giving up soda of all varieties for the rest of the year. I am going to try to make food choices that fuel my body and my ridiculous schedule. AND... I am coming back for a Whole45 on March 18. Thanks for all of the support! :ph34r:

Renee - part of me hopes you're right. Maybe if I wait long enough I won't like it anymore, and the temptation will be gone. I grew up on diet soda...there's a picture of me drinking one when I barely look big enough to walk! It's been really hard to go cold turkey. I have a Sodastream for seltzer though. Having something (anything!) carbonated certainly helps.

Archived