Made the Mayo...ideas for eating it all?

Flynn

I avoided this for 23 days but last night I did it, I made the home made mayo and it is delicious!! Now I have a big jar of mayo. Last night I mixed it with a can of tuna. Today I'm using it as a salad dressing on greens, chicken, tomatoes, etc.

In my old life I used "veganaise" that lasted forever in the fridge...but how long does the home made mayo last? I feel like I need to eat it all as soon as I can because I've got a whole jar and I don't want to waste any of it or have it go bad! Any other great ideas for what to do with mayo? Spices to add to it that may make it more of a salad dressing?

Thanks all!

Hi gogo - I wouldn't worry too much about needing to use it "as soon as you can". It can stay in the fridge a while and be just fine. Others here may have better knowledge as to exactly how long, but I would have no problem with 2-3 weeks personally, and maybe more. ??

As far as uses, I use it on anything I can think of. It is great to use as a veggie dip by adding ANY spice you enjoy - oregano, basil, dill, onion powder, garlic powder - whatever! I use it all of the time for salad dressing by adding vinegar and all my favorite spices and then mixing it up until creamy. You can also use it for chicken salad or egg salad. I have even used it plain to dip my steak into.

I like it so much I actually debated dipping a strawberry in it last night. I didn't, but I do however think even THAT would be good. :)

• Moderators

I have eaten homemade mayo that was three weeks old and did not notice any problems from it.

I use mayonnaise whenever I roast a fish. My standard approach to salmon is to place it on foil in a baking pan, wet it with lemon juice. Dust it with salt, garlic powder, thyme, etc. Then slather it with mayonnaise. The mayonnaise keeps the fish moist while roasting at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

When cucumbers are in season, I like to cut some up into a container and then dress them with mayo, apple cider vinegar, and spices. That gives me an automatic side dish waiting in the refrigerator.

The cucumber salad that Tom describes is delicious and I've been eating it since long before I had ever heard of paleo, I also include sliced onions.

regarding the mayo, I've read that it stays good for about 2 weeks beyond the expiration date of the eggs but I've never had mayo last that long to test the theory.

we use it mostly for egg salad, carrot raisin salad, and sandwiches. By sandwiches I, obviously, am refering to meat wrapped in romain leaves.

I'm certainly going to try the salad dressing idea.

A la Tom's idea, I use it on lean meats (like chicken and some pork) when I'm roasting them, especially in the crockpot.

It's also great for attaching a coating or crust to something (like almond crusted chicken) that you don't want to batter.

We add it guacamole sometimes to make it "go farther."

I make ranch dressing out of it (and a fruit dip for my kiddos, but thats a post W30 thing bc it has honey in it)

Blend in some curry powder and mix with pre-cooked chicken breast pieces, flaked almonds and currants (if you eat dried fruit) and you get a British dish called Coronation Chicken (the legend goes it was first made for the banquet at Queen Elizabeth's coronation in 1953).

I also love curried mayo with smoked haddock and egg and cherry tomatoes, sorta like kedgeree but without the rice and cream.

Curried coleslaw is also amazing.

In essence: curry.

Wow, great ideas everyone! Last night I did the fish and put it on the grill, then I thought, what the h*ll and I put it all over some vegetables and grilled them as well and made an extra little side of dipping sauce...delicious! I don't think I'll have a problem finishing the jar anymore, thanks all!

Today (again inspired by Well-Fed) I squeezed in some lime juice, added some salt and a couple of shakes of cumin, and had cumin-lime sauce for my very boring poached chicken. I practically licked it out of the container. :)

Made Melissa's recipe. A bit too lemon-y for me. Will use for tuna salad and broiled fish. Next time, I think I'll use 1TBS lemon juice, and one of vinegar. Also, the consistency was a little thinner than I expected. It looks more like vanilla pudding than mayo. Is this how it's supposed to turn out? I keep seeing people describe it as 'creamy', so maybe so.

Archived