Made the Mayo...ideas for eating it all?

Flynn

I made my first successful batch of mayo tonight, after many failed attempts. I was doing a bit of research first and this link has a nice video and a suprising tip for success. In addition to having everything at room temp; she also adds a tsp of water, I guess it's a trick for the emulsification. Anyway, I whisked mine by hand and it's very thick. Next time I won't use EVOO, it's too strong-tasting and light green (!!) but I'm so proud of it, I'm going to eat it anyway. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/dining/easy-homemade-mayonnaise.html?pagewanted=all

• 2 weeks later...

I made mayo! I made mayo! This is huge people. I conquered my fear of raw eggs and it was delicious!

I made deviled eggs for my boys and they could not stop talking about how good they were and then we talked about all the yummy ways we could enjoy homemade mayo. I am especially excited to make dill sauce for my salmon with it. I haven't had salmon with mayo for a very long time and it is my favorite.

I saw an idea on pinterest to use a melon baller to hallow out cucumber ends and fill them. I think tuna with homemade mayo and pickles would be awesome this way. We shall try it tomorrow for lunch! Whoop!

p.s. Brandieelynne, I preemptively added a tsp. of water to my room temp. egg yolk/lemon juice combo before starting my blender. Mayo was the perfect consistency. Thanks for the tip!

I love to make a chicken salad with pulled chicken breast, mayo, curry, s&p, walnuts and grapes. YUM. I've tried it with tuna fish also when i was out of chicken and it was also good.

I also agree w/ the other posters regarding the coleslaw & cucumber salad.

You could also make little BLT bites and deviled eggs.

I love homemade mayo! I can't handle soy, so I started making my own. I lacto-ferment it to give it longer life, not that it lasts too long in this house.

After making the mayo just stir in a few tablespoons of brine from Bubbie's pickles or saurkraut, let the mayo sit at room temperature for a few hours and then pop it in the fridge.

• 2 weeks later...

I make my mayo (and store it) in a Ball plastic jar using an immersion blender. Makes for less cleanup since I just add the lid and place in the fridge. I essentially use the Everyday Paleo recipe and make a half recipe with one egg and one cup oil, but I do follow the Well Fed recommendation of using all room temperature ingredients. I add the oil using a bottle originally intended for candy making that I picked up at Party City. It sort of looks like a ketchup squeeze bottle and I began using it to add my oil after seeing a blog on Nom Nom Paleo about using something like this to drizzle in oil slowly. I marked the outside of the bottle so I always know how much oil to add for a one cup measure without dirtying a measuring cup each time. For the acid I use white wine vinegar, lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar. Super easy and super yummy. I read somewhere that homemade mayo lasts at least as long as the expiration date on the eggs.

Favorite recipe with mayo: chopped chicken, celery, grapes, walnuts, a little mayo and a little curry powder to taste. Under 5 minutes to make and a really awesome lunch. Just might have to make some tomorrow. :)

Edit: Just saw almost the same recipe described in an earlier post from cysgr8. I just add celery to mine for the extra crunch. Chopped apple is good in there too. :)

I tried something new yesterday and I'm super proud of it. I made mayo with bacon fat as the oil. It worked and it's mind-boggling delicious!! It's also way cheaper than any other route as that fat would usually just end up in the trash anyway!!

• 1 month later...

New favorite use for homemade mayo made with extra light olive oil and lemon juice with a small amount of organic mustard (instead of mustard powder) and a little cayenne. I defrosted some Key West frozen shrimp that I got at WF. Huge bag for 12.99. I cooked them for 4 minutes in my NuWave oven, but you can cook them however you like to do it. Cooled them and mixed the mayo, finely chopped cilantro and chopped celery. Wrapped spoonfuls of it in butter lettuce. Oh my was it good.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, we all thought we had beat the mayo horse to death, but I remember somebody posting a link to a YouTube that showed a fabulous little movie of someone making mayo with their stick blender in a beaker. They didn't drizzle the oil. They just kept the blender at the bottom until it started to thicken. Anyone remember who posted that or where it is. I did a mayo search, but haven't found it as yet.

Well, with a little YouTube search, I found it. I think it may be Mark Bittman's voice I hear on the video. Here's the link..I just made it. Took all of 20 seconds at the most and it's so good. I, of course, did not use Canola oil. I used Light Tasting Olive Oil. Link below in case anyone else wants it. :)

Holy smokes...I totally just was trying to post the link, not the frikin' video.

When cucumbers are in season, I like to cut some up into a container and then dress them with mayo, apple cider vinegar, and spices. That gives me an automatic side dish waiting in the refrigerator.

Tom, those cucumbers in mayo sound great. What spices do you use?

Archived