IBS and Period

Laujo

Hello,

I am on day 31 and have gone a whole month without any IBS attacks until today. This coincided with the heaviest day of my period and I wondered if anyone was aware of hormonal links between IBS attacks and periods?

Although I have had a rough day I am glad to have found at least one trigger. I'm going to stay compliant until this clears up, but any advice would be great :)

Your body releases hormones to get your uterus to contract when you get your period so it'll expel stuff. It can also have the same effect on neighboring tissue, so if you notice big changes in your movements around that time, that could be why. Some female-related medical conditions can cause the same issues during the period, but if you typically have normal cycles, perhaps you can just chalk it up to the hormones and see if things level out next month. Fingers crossed!

Your body releases hormones to get your uterus to contract when you get your period so it'll expel stuff. It can also have the same effect on neighboring tissue, so if you notice big changes in your movements around that time, that could be why.

I had wondered how these two were connected. It's very normal for me to have bowel changes on my heavy days, too.

Check this out for more of an explanation:m.everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/diarrhea-and-your-period

I don't necessarily agree with all their options to address it, but perhaps it'll at least help you understand it a bit better!

Thanks!

I normally have IBS issues when I have my period, but I think they were more noticeable this month as I managed to go a whole 30 days with no symptoms at all. My poor tummy feels like someone has been punching it.

I will see what happens next month.

Archived