Melbourne, Australia Post-Whole30

praxisproject

The piggy is in the slow cooker....

Ginger Mojo today, awesome, nice and bitey. Have been feeling awesome since I have been drinking the commerical kombucha, never had this feeling from the market one. It was nowhere near this fizzy and much much sweeter (far too sweet for me). Mojo favourite is the raspberry, but I have liked them all so far, only lemon left to try.

Loving the CoYo icecream, it's very satisfying, which I'm guessing is the lack of dairy. Slap Ya Mama also awesome on prawns.

Going to be having kombucha every day for 2 weeks... Day 1.

All out of raspberry Mojo, so it's gonna be mostly gingery the next two weeks :)

Piggy came out great, might have cooked him a little too long, but he's got an extra depth of flavour this time around, so might cook it longer next time.

Got enough Mojo to last me one a day for two weeks, some more CoYo icecream and Coyo yoghurt :)

Making a note so I won't forget, decided to have nachos on a whim today, not planned, not because I had to, not a crazy craving, just felt like I would enjoy it and ingredients seemed pretty good (bar the actual corn).

Oddly, have had no reaction at all to the corn so far, but when I made my own at home a few months back (with some organic corn chips made with palm oil), had a big reaction very quickly. These were very thin, so maybe corn load was lower, maybe my gut is stronger? Corn chips appeared to be white corn, very thin and not yellow corn and handmade fresh, not the factory kind which have been sitting around. Won't be making a habit of it, but nice to know I can have it without being sick (at least on the same day, wondering if this is just taking time to kick in).

Not a place I usually eat (Salsa's). Food is fairly unprocessed for a mexican place, there's wheat, rice and corn to avoid on the menu, along with cheese and sour cream, but there's reasonable salsas and salads, guacamole made with real avocado.

Not a great choice, but also not something I will eat very often.

I'm trying to be less afraid of things that don't make me sick (wheat/gluten or anything sinus-inflaming), I've become a bit too afraid of eating out, due to the number of reactions I've had to "gluten free" meals. I'm suspecting the bulk of these are soy sauce related, as they are all asian restaurants. I can understand the expectation that soy sauce doesn't contain wheat, so will be checking for this specifically when ordering from now on (no soy sauce). 

Potato I still cringe at the thought of, but it actually agrees with me very well. It should make eating out easier, but so many places put wheat on potato now, it's not always edible. Corn will never be a regular part of my diet again, but I love mexican and knowing I can have it if I want (even if I choose not to) without being sick, it's a nice feeling. It's the same with gluten free bread. I don't like most of it (fortunately I hate the taste of all soy-containing breads) but occasionally I would like to be able to have it, without being sick.

Good to hear you are improving. I put on 7 kg eating wheat for my celiac blood test challenge which came back part positive so I had the biopsy and it was clear. So it took me three months to lose the weight... Then time went by and I forgot how sick it made me so I started having it again and it really messed up my mind as well. I am happier being gluten and grain free now.

coconut cream in sachets! where have you been all my life! :D I'm about to go travelling... hope I can find some in time... any good brands to look for?

Yeah, I'm still all puffed up, might have to go back to ketogenic paleo to kick it, doesn't seem to be going down enough.

Oh and I totally won't go back to eating wheat... gave me too much of a scare to ever trust it again.

Note on the corn - didn't get the same corn reactions I've had in the past, but was verrrry tired the next day, went to bed crazy early, but felt fine in the morning. Not something I'll be likely to have again, but good to know I can have it in a pinch without losing any ability to breathe :) I've become very attached to clear breathing.

Actually felt like working out today (first time since the challenge), did over 300 leg squats.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Inspired to try new things today. New breakfast out (bacon, eggs and hollandaise sauce). Two batches of home made mayo (1 avocado oil, 1 macadamia oil) and new salmon pattie recipe for dinner. Green oil makes green mayo.

My first ever batch of mayo was mostly avo oil - the colour was funky!! Shame about the taste, I thought it was horrid!

I used Grove avocado oil. I like it, but I also like the mac one, which seems a little brighter in flavour.

Salmon Patties are the best I've ever made, Aussie recipe for an Australian sized can, which may be the difference.

http://www.ladyhomemade.com/2012/11/14/quick-salmon-patties-and-whole30-week-two/

This could easily be my new go-to meal to replace my curries, if I do nightshade free.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived