SOY IN MY TUNA?!

So, I've been Paleo since August or so, but not super strict or anything because I'm a broke college student on a budget and can't exactly afford grass-fed all the time. Anyways, I just started Whole30 three days ago and I've been eating tuna and I just realized that my tuna contains SOY. I had no idea. I threw out the rest of the cans I had, but does that mean I have to start over on Whole30 because I ate some? Or should I just take it as a lesson and keep going on my current 30?

I also was really surprised when I found soy on my "go-to" tuna pouches. I put those out at the office for people to take :rolleyes:. I was able to find some in the can (haven't found any pouches though) that do not have any nono ingredients (just for your future shopping endeavors - cause it's awesome to have access to some quick, cheap protein IMO). I'd just tack on 3 days to your Whole30 :D Good luck!!

Unfortunately, most canned tuna contains soy. Such a bummer! I am able to find compliant canned salmon more easily.

Soy is one of the big no-nos on the program, so I'd agree with Kat. Restart, or count it as tacking 3 days onto this Whole30. You are still doing great, and learned an important lesson in label-reading really early in your program!

Also, I'd like to mention that Whole30 doesn't mean you have to eat grass-fed all the time. You can still have an awesome experience without the grass-fed meats, though they are preferred for their higher ratio of Omega 3's. We eat grass-fed when we can, and we do the best we can the rest of the time.

Some have mentioned finding some of the big name tuna companies with some versions that were compliant. I think they were often in pouches and you might have more luck with ones packed in oil.

A mod will probably chime in soon, but you might want to think of adding a couple extra days at the end of your Whole 30 so you know you've had 30 soy free days. :)

Soy really is not good. Luckily you're only on day 3, 4? If I were you I'd just keep going and add those days on at the end. You deserve 30 really clean days so you can experience the full benefit. As has already been stated, whilst pastured, grass fed meat is undoubtedly the best it's possible to be completely complant without it. I'm on a limited budget so I get grass fed when possible but couldn't possibly afford it all the time. I just do the best I can. I prioritise getting organic if the meat's fatty and ordinary if it's lean. Good luck and glad you caught the soy early.

Starkist Selects low sodium tuna is soy free - great option if you're on a budget, since it's only a few more cents per can. You could try looking for a store-brand low sodium tuna to see if the same thing holds true - our store doesn't have a version like that, so I'm not sure.

Archived