Post Whole 30 Weigh in and Thoughts

Bethie Annie

February 1, 2013

Whole 30 Day 31

So here I am day 31.... Excited and Scared!

Here's my story

I have tried Paleo and a million other diets. My drinking never changed, still had my red wine. I would fall off "the diet" because I would lose the clarity, and drive (wine relaxation). I've never been terribly overweight because I either worked out like a mad woman, stuck my finger down my throat on occasion (gross, I know), took Psylum capsules after eating a heavy meal...you get the picture. I came across the Whole 30 link a few months back and thought..No way can I do that. So I pushed it aside. In December I came across it again, this time I thought..maybe I can. I figured after pigging out and alcohol during the holidays I'd be good and ready by January 2nd. So I prepared and prepared. I froze Emergency ground chicken and beef protein packets in 2 cup portions (little did my husband know, at the time, he was going to be in on this too) in little baggies. I made bone broth and did the same (2 cup portions, chicken and beef). I stared purchasing things like Ghee and stopped purchasing things that were not allowed. Revamped my kitchen cabinets, nothing but Whole 30 compliant foods to be found. I stashed flour, sugar, honey, agave etc in basement. I was gearing up. All the wine was gone and although I don't really drink liquor, that was literally locked up. My next step was to recruit friends and family to go along for the ride. My husband, my daughter and a friend of mine, who has always been health conscious, were on board.. Whoop, Whoop, I was ready! Day 1 (January 2nd) Easy day, we were all so excited! Fast forward to Day 10, not so much fun anymore :( Struggling with sugar cravings and wine withdrawal (didn't help that it was hubby's birthday and we were going out to dinner) Made it through though. Most of the time things went well, tried a lot of new recipes from PaleOMG.com and TheClothesMakethegirl.com. Saved the ones we loved (most of them) and pitched the others. I am surprised and happy to find myself at Day 31. I believe Whole 30 worked because I had a clear rules to follow & a start and finish date ("30 days, No problem! People suffer a lot worse for longer than 30 days!") All of my cohorts made it as well and are pleased with the results. My husband can't keep his pants from falling off without a belt. He has lost 15# My daughter lost a total of 12# but is extending her Whole 30 with a goal of 120#s. My friend feels wonderful, her back is pain free, she has lost weight (she didn't really need to) but is thrilled with her pain free back.

Wow! And here is my story

These are the issues I had pre-Whole 30

Stomach always feels full and bloated (it lays next to me in bed)

Tired mid afternoon

My nails are splitting, weak and soft

Skin is dry and I have an issue of dark patches with small flat warts along my jawline that recently reared their ugly heads during the holidays (I had been treating them with a very low dose of Retinol for over a year without results). Over the holidays they became inflamed (They are a virus, so I'm guessing between the bad eating and the alcohol my body had too much to deal with and put the virus on the back burner) I wanted to post a before photo but don't know how :unsure:

My eyes and skin look tired and dull

I don't sleep well

My thighs look enormous!

My hair is thin and a little dry and frizzy

Mental clarity is not good, I can't think of names that I deal with every day, they escape me. I am slow thinking, cloudy, I can't get my thoughts straight (like a hangover!!)

My clothes, especially my jeans, are tight and uncomfortable (I have a new pair of Lucky jeans I don't want to try on because I know they will be tight,I bought the size I always buy without trying them on.

Measurements...12/3/2012 Mind you this was prior to the Holidays, which I was un-restricted (knowing that I was starting the Whole 30 on January 2nd). So these measurements may not be accurate, I may have been even Bigger by Jan 2nd!

Age 53

ht 5:4"

wt 130#

Waist 28"

Abs (navel) 30"

Hips 37.5"

Thigh Rt 17.5" Lt 17.75"

Calf Rt 12.5" Lt 12.5"

Lean body mass 73.08

So now here I am at Day 31 Drum roll ....

Still age 53 (damn, I was hoping to be younger)

ht 5:4" (and taller)

Wt 123# (--7#s)

Waist 26" (--2 inches)

Abs (navel) 29" (--1 inch)

Hips 36.5 (--1 inch)

Thigh Rt 17" (--1/2", Lt 17" (--1/2")

My skin is vibrant all of the virus has disappeared! Not even a hint and the brown has faded to the point of unnoticeable unless you look close

My hair is still thin, but it's never been thick and its shiny, not dry

My nails are still thin, oh well, they were never great either, maybe they will improve as I continue to eat Whole 30 style

Mental Clarity.. Yep, Got it!

I've been avoiding the jeans, wearing sweats and waiting for this day.. They fit again!

Yeah!!! I am sooo happy! :D

Thinking back to the beginning...I dreamt of Day 31...hmmm what was I going to eat/drink on my first day back to "life".Today I'm afraid... I don't want to go back to that life, that eating. I feel too good and I know I can continue and possibly feel even better. I've decide to stick with the eating plan and try re-introducing red wine (just a little, mind you). I've read posts where you have a raging hangover the next day, I haven't had a hangover in years! Pre-Whole 30 I could polish off a bottle of red without a blink of an eye and function just fine (at least I thought) the next day. I have discovered that I am a lot "smarter" without red wine, dairy, grains etc..hmmm I think clearly! I feel terrific, lots of energy, My face problem is virtually gone!!

Things I will do differently

Take Pictures of meals and label with appropriate recipe

Keep a journal of feelings etc along with meals

Things I was not good at

Eating within the hour on days off

avoiding fruit during sugar cravings

avoiding coffee during sugar cravings

Great story!! Isn't it funny how we think we understand how certain food/drink affects (or doesn't affect) us, but it takes totally removing them to see the truth. I have had so many "addictions" like candy, diet soda, bread, peanut butter...I always convinced myself that I didn't feel sick or terrible so they must not be too bad for me. I'm on day 29 now, and have finally accepted that I DID feel sick and terrible. It was just such a routine thing that it didn't register the way it should. I think I'm going to learn this month, when I do some reintros, that some of my old favorites are just not going to sit well anymore.

Good luck and great job - it's a huge accomplishment!

That is awesome!! I just did my measurements today after finishing my first whole 30 and it was not as drastic as I had hoped :( I lost 1 pound, lol, really 1 stinkin pound! I was hoping for at least 5! My measurements stayed the same except for my stomach (huge bonus) and my chest/armpit area (the bra fat area). Both of those were down. My body fat percentage went from 27something% to 24something% so that is great! I'm going to keep it up, eating Paleo, I may not be quite as strict as the Whole30, but I do love how much better I feel. I'm also nervous about reintroducing wine. I could also finsh a bottle by myself and feel just fine. Which I did regularly! My husband and I are going to dinner tonight for the first time since starting our Whole30, we plan to stay on plan as much as possible, we've already found out they have a gluten free menu. But I'm sure we'll have a drink, and I really don't want to fall back into my nightly wine habit! I have also had a great deal more mental clarity the last 30 days!

That is awesome!! I just did my measurements today after finishing my first whole 30 and it was not as drastic as I had hoped :( I lost 1 pound, lol, really 1 stinkin pound! I was hoping for at least 5! My measurements stayed the same except for my stomach (huge bonus) and my chest/armpit area (the bra fat area). Both of those were down. My body fat percentage went from 27something% to 24something% so that is great! I'm going to keep it up, eating Paleo, I may not be quite as strict as the Whole30, but I do love how much better I feel. I'm also nervous about reintroducing wine. I could also finsh a bottle by myself and feel just fine. Which I did regularly! My husband and I are going to dinner tonight for the first time since starting our Whole30, we plan to stay on plan as much as possible, we've already found out they have a gluten free menu. But I'm sure we'll have a drink, and I really don't want to fall back into my nightly wine habit! I have also had a great deal more mental clarity the last 30 days!

MamaDrew

I wouldn't stress about the weight, I think the body fat % is so much more important. I'm sure your clothes fit differently too, which is always a bonus! The wine thing is an issue...I drank my bottle of red pretty regularly, as well, and I don't want to fall back into that trap. I'm going to try very hard to only indulge on weekends and mix in my Seltzer water between wines. The wine is what I am most frightened of, so maybe I will be a little more conscious of it. I had a piece of 80% chocolate a little while ago and although I was dying to have some during the Whole 30,much to my delight, it didn't do much for me.

Enjoy dinner!! :)

I didn't even think to measure before I started my Whole 30 but I agree with Bethie, the body fat is way more important!

I'm with you guys on the red wine. I drank it pretty regularly. Every Friday I opened a bottle and since I'm the only one drinking it, had to have it done before the weekend was over. Then it moved to week nights that I didn't have to work out. I would kind of like to have a glass but I really don't want to open that whole bottle.

Archived