Day 1. Missing my Diet Dr. Pepper, but excited...

LaDeb

So my husband I started today. We are going on a grocery shopping date tonight. we were going to Go last night but the temp below zero kept us home. The hardest thing for me is giving up my soda. I am very addicted to the stuff and we are going cold turkey. Already on 2nd jug of water today, water has never been big on my list. Ate eggs and snap pea pods for breakfast - seemed weird. Packed a lunch (another new thing for me).

So far, yawning and I bit nervous about what to eat, but excited and hopeful at the same time.

Quitting Diet Coke was one of the biggest challenges of my life (I quit last summer so it has almost been 6 months). One thing I love for the fizz is buying Kombucha (fermented tea) and adding a small amount to to sparkling water. It is satisfying that carbonation fix! Plus the Kombucha is kind of spendy so makes a bottle last a couple of days!

I quit coke zero when we started our Whole 30 on Jan 1. A couple days in I was really missing it and wine and whining to my husband about it and he said "how about fizzy water from the sodastream?" That helped a ton for me... at least I could get the fizzy tongue feel. I usually add a splash of lemon or orange juice to it, just enough so it tastes not like water. If you don't have a sodastream, grab some club soda (check the label) and you should be good.

I've been a soda addict for over 20 years. Hang in there, it is totally do-able.

Also, it's not a bad idea to get a little caffeine from tea or coffee for a couple days unless you want to do totally cold turkey. It should help you skip caffeine withdrawal headaches.

I gave up soda a few years ago but I know how you feel about missing your soda. I'm on day 9 and I still miss my morning coffee with cream and sugar. The first couple of days were the worst. After that though my energy and moods were greatly improving so that helps me fight my cravings. Just seeing all the improvements and how great I feel helps me miss my coffee a little less.

Archived