Nadia's PW30. "Let's fix it" journey.

Nadia B

What a coincidence, we got a new muscle up rig at the box, and I said I prob wouldn't be able to pull myself up (the first part of the muscle-up ifykwim) but coach did a jump & lift and I did it - felt awesome :) and a bit like a gymast getting the lift on to the rings :wub:

I feel totally blushingly thrilled that my pics pushed you in to the kitchen :)

Of course you did!!!!!! It is a personal lifetime achievement or at least a giant gold star. Aaah when I do it someday I will be jumping and screaming like an insane woman. Or fall on the floor rubbing my forearms with enthusiasm. 

Yea, I really needed to stop eating crapwraps (aka lettuce, deli meat and avo).

Carla, They are not bad, but not fantastic. 19 days will go by fast and you know that you need it to recover from that dairyland vacay. It is good, but I need to work on less dirty dishes techniques. Hope it is not a damned deep freezer in MTL, because I am wearing a leather jacket atm. :wacko:   

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's chilly an miserable here too.  Been rainy/overcast all day.

Truthfully the weather doesn't really bother me (I don't do heat and humidity too well - although better than I used to) but - yeah it is a little on the chilly side for August.

Check check. I am here and alive. Feeling alright and actually feeling some progress (feeling leaner?). Might be totally a placebo effect, but I'll take it.

- Food is alright (=boring) and I'm still fine with eggs. I ate a gluten loaded meal once (Thanksgiving waffles, yep Thanksgiving dinner in one bite in a form of chicken and waffles) and I did not feel sick at all. I am not sure what to do with this information, just typing it out here.

- Training is alright (= I am making progress) and I am in love with anything on the rings (mmmaybe not the L-sit chin ups). All in all, I am pretty good. Summer is fading away and I am sad to think that my bike needs to go in the garage. Also I am a bit curious how eliminating of active cycling will impact my overall hunger cues/anxiety/energy. Also, I went to the hot yoga for the first time in ages, boy was it good.

- I had an interesting conversation with the guy from our gym while we were foam rolling. He is a nutritionist. He asked me a week worth of meals and asked about my goals. What he said was interesting and gave me a lot to think about. He said that I will reach my goals if I keep 80-90% compliant (by this he means macros/portions/hunger signals/timing). The rest is for me to enjoy and have fun with food. "Look, you didn't eat protein post wo. This is a non-compliant meal. You were hungry and feel stuffed? This is non-compliant even if you ate good food. You lose your "fun points" on things like this, things that are totally in your control". I have never thought about it, how come?  

Ok, the real reason I am writing, dear bio-hackers, is that help is needed.  

1 - Why can I be dying and falling asleep in the middle of the day recently? I have been skipping coffee occasionally altogether some days, but I has developed a weird aversion to it. Some days I am umming and omming over my hot cup and others I am just meh, I don't want it. Very interesting, but confusing. Especially when I remember how I used to struggle not to gobble 3d or 4th cup per day.

2 - I have noticed that my feet are cramping like mad when I workout. Especially any running/jumping activity. We had a metcon with a park run between sets. I could not feel my feet at all. Magnesium? I am taking it daily.  

3. Sometimes I am dizzy and see light dots before my eyes. I know it has nothing to do with food here, but maybe you guys know what on Earth is it?

Cheers. 

a925724d-68f7-49e2-9b06-3244f92062d7_zps 185e2637-7517-4626-9f5f-953c50ccac10_zps

17f0604a-3b27-46dc-ac44-0c300f2d3f6a_zps 4254054a-c830-4716-b244-c3841c2bc05b_zps   

I am kind of ready for the fall tbh. Food wise for sure. Squashes and soups! I am counting days to my Japan trip and planning a surfing adventure in Jan (heal ankle heal). Barbados! Sometimes it's hard to be on your own but sometimes it's good to know that I have time/no obligations/financial flexibility to do stuff that makes me a happy girl. 

Could be other electrolytes (feet). From a chemist you can get something like Pedilyte - if that fixes your feet, it's some kind of electrolyte or sodium/potassium imbalance. Either that or magnesium always fixes leg/feet cramps for me :)

That's brilliant. Thanks. I consulted Google for symptoms of low potassium. I was like yep, yep and yep. Went to the list of foods high in potassium and was like, maaaan I have been barely eating any of these. Is that an official excuse to start eating bananas or sweet potatoes? Mmmm?  :D

No Pedialyte boo chemicals. Whole Foods sells packets of electrolytes that are made by the same folks as Emergenc- C. 

These have saved me. They sell others too but I think these taste the best. 

(coconut water helps too)

http://www.amazon.com/EMERGEN-C-ELECTRO-MIX-Lemon-Lime-4-2/dp/B002HWRY5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409593090&sr=8-1&keywords=emergen+c+electrolytes

No Pedialyte boo chemicals. Whole Foods sells packets of electrolytes that are made by the same folks as Emergenc- C. 

These have saved me. They sell others too but I think these taste the best. 

(coconut water helps too)

http://www.amazon.com/EMERGEN-C-ELECTRO-MIX-Lemon-Lime-4-2/dp/B002HWRY5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409593090&sr=8-1&keywords=emergen+c+electrolytes

Thanks, I'll have a look at my nutrition store. I have tried BioSteel and it seems alright (my coach is using it too and she is real food/paleo gal). 

Check in. All good. I feel less and less stress about food. I enjoy these moments of feeling in check and control. Clearly I have control freak  inclinations.

1. Eggs make me happy every day and it's hard not to eat 9 per day. People who say they are tired of eggs, I am laughing in your face. Try to live 2 years without them. 

2. I have developed aversion to coffee and chocolate. Come winter it will change but right now an odd espresso is all I can handle. 

3. Deep tissue massage is God sent. Found a dude across the street from my office and learned that my insurance covers his services. Bingo. 

4. Bottom up kettle bell press is so challenging. 

5. I was talked into taking the BOD. It's on Thursday. I am silly scared and I have no idea how Greg convinced me that I am a big girl and that they are not trying to judge/shame me. Oh my  :(  The problem is that I feel leaner and all proof I need is the presence of this feeling. I am scared that the test will prove me wrong. You know I am an unstable gal. 

6. My co-worker has signed me up to the Dragon Boat race. Today was the first practice, so much fun! I kinda wanna try this for real next summer. 

7. Ballet term starts this Sunday! 

8. Cirque Du Soleil show is TOMORROW!

Picture break. 

ab19f8d6-32e5-4183-8625-a7ce7d0d620b_zps b3dfcba3-7220-4857-94a5-b02f91e02f02_zps

590e298f-81b7-4900-844d-be4b7768198e_zps 927ac9f2-73f2-49ed-85e1-e2334f1b5e07_zps

Fun fact. We spent 1 night + 6 hours smoking this brisket. Apparently J wasn't really listening to my babbling about temps and techniques. While it looks gorgeous it was so dry. Paper dry. He was so mad and upset. I resurrected it with butter/garlic/pizza sauce the next morning. He is still pissed and I find it funny. 

Not so fun fact. On Saturday I have experienced a complete body shut down. I could not get out of bed. I was a weak and achy zombie. Everything was a blur and I was dizzy. I took 5 naps throughout the day between just sitting outside on my chair. When I stood up everything started spinning. I got magnesium and potassium up. I have dig out recent blood panel and figured that my iron is ridiculously low. What an irony, Liver Queen. Sunday was better and by Monday I was almost alright. Still would have numb hands and feet. Scary sh*t if you ask me. It might be my general gogogo during the week so my body decided to teach me a lesson. Sleeping everyday for 9-10 hours def helped. I do not want this ever happening again. But today I feel alright and I am going to the gym tomorrow in the morning. Because I am me. 

Btw, it's fall it's here! I eat roasted peach ginger ice-cream I made to say farewell to the summer as I type all this. 

I'm sorry to hear about feeling so poorly, but glad to hear you are recovering quickly.  Scary.

Peach ginger ice cream, I need some of that!   :)

I roasted peaches and added crystallized ginger. I think the recipe is on the Paleo Parents. Sooo good! 

I couldn't sleep last night and I decided to tell Kristina or Greg (gym manager and owner) that I am not doing BOD. It is not worth the idiocy I am going through mentally.

We did deadly sprints (magic egg pre workout let me hit the under 1 min mark every time! YAY! There are very few things that I hate more than running of ANY sort so double yay).

I walked up to Kristina and she said "oh here you are, let's do it now and not tomorrow". While I was mumbling something about being sweaty, she was rubbing the gel on the device. I thought "put your grown up girl pants on, Nadia". Long story short, I am up 3 lb and down 1,1 % body fat. I have lost 1 inch off my thighs and a bit off my waist. The most fascinating thing is that the biggest change is in my belly fat distribution. Scans look so gross on the screen haha. This is the area to come off last for me and everyone generally. Isn't it funny that it is pretty much the only part of me that has changed. GO FIGURE. I have mixed feelings but I am relieved that this scanning madness is over. Onward! 

Dragon Boat racing!  I have always wanted to do that.   Sounds like fun.

If you feel leaner - then run with that.  If you feel healthy - aka come to terms that you will accept the BOD results whatever they maybe then go for it.  If you don't think you can take it on, then don't force it.  I do this with the scale sometimes.  I mentally check if I can accept the number - whatever the number - it will be.  If I feel I can, then I go in for the weigh in.  If I feel it will send me down a slippery, unhealthy mental-beat-myself-up sort of thing then I avoid it until I am in a better mental space. 

Right now I am terrified on what the scale might say.  My clothes are fitting better so I think I have lost some weight during my whole 30 - but I am not 100% certain and what if the scale doesn't confirm my thinking?  Oh my.  Can I handle it?  Not sure.  Today is day 30 for me, so the weigh in is inevitable (for curiousity's sake).  In the end I can't let myself care.  Because it doesn't change who I am as a person.  After all I know I am healthier this past month, and my body feels happy.    Sorry for the rant here.

Really sorry to hear your plight.  Keep the potassium and magnesium coming in.  Adding some salt will help with the spots/dizzyness too.  (I used to get this from time to time in the begining)

Carla, rant away ;) It so silly and gets the best of us sometimes. World keeps turning, steaks keep coming and we are doing what we can. I guess we are used to get evaluation and feedback on everything we do fairly quickly these days, but this one is a tricky one. I hope you got results that did not upset you.

LM, I hope I sound cheerful, but I am just in autopilot mode. I am rereading your post sometimes to keep my head straight. I wish you could publish these notes.

OK, NOW TO WHY I AM POSTING THIS AT MIDNIGHT. I did an unexpected chin-up on my cousin's gym bar at their house. I was just hanging and goofing around, then started pulling to see how far I can get and bam my chin was over the bar. I did 2 (!!!) more after the shock has passed. Omg, I am so happy right now!

Tomorrow I will tell you how I got stuck in a wrong boat with competitive rowers instead of my newbie co-workers by mistake yesterday. I did not confess that I am holding a paddle for the second time in my life until the very end. You get the idea it is a story worth a good laugh. Unfortunately, my upper back muscles are not laughing today. First race is 8 AM tomorrow. So nervous but apparently my team sucks. Whatever, I get to yell "I'm on the boat" the entire day!

CHINUPCHINUPCHINUPPPP

Chin-ups!!! Go on ya good thing!!

have fun messing about on boats today , loved catching up on your posts, and what lovely phots. Have you been playing with taht studio app? I like it

Wee thanks. I am into nofilter photos so I try to adjust them minimally. Contast/brightness and white balance at best. Sometimes filters create great mood tho. Studio app? I think I have it downloaded. Is that the one for adding fonts and figures? 

So Dragon Boat Race happened. Two days we spent 8am-4pm on the lake. Raced, ate, tanned, ate some more and paddled our hearts out. It was brutal and awesome. I am positive I will sign up for training and will join a pro team. Such a nice workout outdoors. My upper back, arms, core and butt were on fire. Also it's a sprint type of activity where you go all out for 500 meters and then breathe like a whale on the beach. 

Funny story kind of does not need more of elaboration than in previous post. I was late for my team practice. I asked to join any boat to get some practice. They threw me on the random boat...with die hard pro rowers. It was the hardest hour in my life. Well not really, but close enough. At some point I was planning to tip the damned boat over so this hell would stop. Imagine their faces when I said that this is my second time holding paddle in my life? They got really upset that I am not racing with them and I got an invite to join the team the next season. Pretty rad. My team told me that they laughed and had a boat party compared to my training session. 

Saturday - cold water, wind and unprepared team. So much frustration! 3 races instead of 2. Sunday - 2 races - 2 wins. We got our sh*t together and gave our best. Winners in our division! YESSS. Bonus1 - accupuncture and deep tissue massage for free for participants. Bonus2 - burnt face as the sun was brutal on Sunday. 

I ate pretty badly my second day - lots of Greek yogurt and apples = available free on site + no time/desire to prep. Dinners were fine - big salads and steaks. Mild reaction but good feeling overall. Amazing that yogurt did not give me the usual severe reaction. I have few patches on my face and i know that it's from dairy. Still, it does not fall great in my comfort eating pattern. It is a treat or an easily digestible protein for days like these. No way it's back into my rotation. 

7b8899d5-c521-4629-bdd7-b8ef12281f3c_zps 2ccfb779-fe74-4442-bcbf-ffe552458a96_zps

Archived