Nadia's PW30. "Let's fix it" journey.

Nadia B

That looks like so much fun!  No blisters on your hands?

It is so much fun if your idea of fun includes mad soreness :D Mine does. Our drummer girl had no skin on her palm, but mine are fine. I wish we had a sleek fiberglass light paddles instead of the old school wooden things we had. It's like rowing with anchors :D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what's truly amazing? I tell you, several things. First, it's amazing how quickly I am back to eating well after reckless stupid eating (chocolate binge and by binge I mean 1/2 bar and 4 more candies hahaha). Another amazing thing is that I have noticed that slips like that motivate me instead of depressing me. Also eating bell peppers is amazing. Dinner of scrambled eggs with peppers and tomatoes. Yes please, can I have some more. Ballet is amazing. I came to the conclusion that everyone must dance. I don't think that you must have coordination or rhythm to dance. This is the best meditation, joy, self validation and hormonal boost. There are less than stellar things, but today I am all about happy things. 

P.S Japan trip is coming and I am not freaking out. Noodles, rice and soy every day will do their damage. Will I try to avoid it? Yes. Am I making big deal of it? NO WAY. 

P.PS Plantain chicken fritters from Grazed and Enthused blog are the only post wo food I can chow down. Finally not chocking on the chicken breast. Bingo. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am back from Japan. It was phenomenal. I love travelling more than anything else and I always get inspired after my travels. Eating compliant was pretty easy, every convenience store has decent food available for a quick meal. Egg rolls, chicken skewers, boiled eggs (perfectly boiled amazing bright yolks eggs), packed chicken breasts and roasted sweet potatoes (hot off the mini grill). I wasn't stressing out too too much about my food choices after couple of days. I ate a lot of starch (sp and rice). Loads of fresh seafood. I have eaten ramen (rich broth with egg, seared pork belly and noodles) but never finished all the noodles. I have eaten green tea ice-cream and local yogurt once. Biggest offender was soy sauce everywhere. I don't deal well with it AT ALL. Japanese people seem to have a balance with healthy food (and good portion control) and outrageous gluten loaded sweets/meals. They eat a lot of fermented stuff, cold rice (resistant starch) and freshest seafood. They eat all sorts of offal, nose to tail at it's best. They don't exercise excessively - I have seen ONE gym in Tokyo :D They go to hot spring baths religiously. They supplement with collagen religiously - you can buy all the supplement shots like liver shot or collagen in every convenience store. I came back tired, happy and with slight body issues anxiety (but who wouldn't when everyone around you is slender and tiny). Whole30 is in order. Tomorrow? 

1B8FA887-1B58-44AE-9D8F-B79BC1B63CE9_zps 7209D41A-F576-47F0-8552-9DE0146AA24E_zps

B026EB42-EF18-429F-8391-40067EEAD83F_zps D08DA35F-08F6-4C45-B874-05CF0A9A0D45_zps

5058691C-8202-4DCA-BB80-75FBDE28B934_zps B7B19331-C48D-45F7-9D2E-E3FC552FBE8D_zps

92D6A4F5-AA19-4CF8-97AC-F16379D43172_zps 0E55A658-756F-4CEE-A380-AF37B05A8F06_zps

D3E3B6AC-3D98-4249-B4F7-E9CE6FE22CB7_zps E3BC263C-0DE8-4040-AD5A-C57161651EA5_zps

6F18939F-320A-4560-BCB4-887C8736AF2B_zps 7B9F6CA0-7DAE-4428-A597-E65136A35873_zps

P.S I forgot, I have eaten one outrageous item - black burger from Burger King. Haha. It is completely black, colored with squid ink and bamboo charcoal. I tasted alright and I wasn't wildly sick, I was actually alright. Not into eating there ever again though :)

P.P.S I can't wait to go to the gym. I walked a TON and hiked up the mountains, but I miss my lifting times. 

Hi Nadia. I have been following your logs ever since I joined this community. I really enjoy reading about your adventures in fitness, travel, nutrition, and sometimes insanity.  :blink: Your willingness to share and be so honest here is really cool.

What compelled me to finally respond is your recent post about dragon boating. I had heard of this before, but never considered it for myself. I am not one to leave my comfort zone (ever!) and I have never really done anything athletic in my life. I'm not even comfortable with group fitness. For whatever reason, the way you described your experience totally inspired me. I read your post and within 5 minutes started researching teams in my area. By the end of that week I showed up for my first practice! Unfortunately, no one else did...river activities had been shut down due to toxic algae and I had no idea...but I finally made it out there last night. SO. HARD. But amazing. I am hooked for sure. You have no idea what a huge deal this was for me (afraid of meeting strangers, afraid of failing at anything athletic, sort of afraid of the water, afraid to get lost downtown...it's endless!). This is probably the first time I've just said screw it, I'm afraid and I'm doing it anyway...all because of your post. THANK YOU!!!  :wub:

Hi Nadia. I have been following your logs ever since I joined this community. I really enjoy reading about your adventures in fitness, travel, nutrition, and sometimes insanity.  :blink: Your willingness to share and be so honest here is really cool.

What compelled me to finally respond is your recent post about dragon boating. I had heard of this before, but never considered it for myself. I am not one to leave my comfort zone (ever!) and I have never really done anything athletic in my life. I'm not even comfortable with group fitness. For whatever reason, the way you described your experience totally inspired me. I read your post and within 5 minutes started researching teams in my area. By the end of that week I showed up for my first practice! Unfortunately, no one else did...river activities had been shut down due to toxic algae and I had no idea...but I finally made it out there last night. SO. HARD. But amazing. I am hooked for sure. You have no idea what a huge deal this was for me (afraid of meeting strangers, afraid of failing at anything athletic, sort of afraid of the water, afraid to get lost downtown...it's endless!). This is probably the first time I've just said screw it, I'm afraid and I'm doing it anyway...all because of your post. THANK YOU!!!  :wub:

Oh hey hello. You just made my less than stellar day a whole lot better. I am so proud that you showed up! Change is scary but it's the most rewarding feeling when you overcome your fear. /round of applause, please. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya! How are you all? I am alright. Weight is actually shifting. I think. YAY. I think it started to do so when I decided that being neurotic about what I eat MUST stop. I still eat good, but I just can't afford to over think it anymore. Anywho, I am posting a video of practice at the flying trapeze. Maybe I will encourage someone to give it a try? I didn't do my best and my flying was pretty sloppy. My calves were dooooone (so much squeezing knees to the bar). 

Video of my sloppy backflip in slowmo. Hehe. 

Saturday morning we had three benchmark workouts almost back to back. I thought I am about to die on average 10 times per minute. My goal was small - don't finish last and don't compromise the form (but our coaches are pretty anal about that, pardon my French). I managed to finish all three and I wasn't the last one. However, it's so hard to deal with the fact that I am nowhere close to where I want to be. Persistence and dedication is an obvious answer. My inner kid just wants to scream "bullish**t". I tried thinking "girl, your bones were broken in February and you couldn't do a back lounge without pain and now you sprint" or "you are not competing for anything" or "you love the process too, stop worrying about reps/numbers/times". I think I am addicted to being hard on myself. 

How do you guys deal with negative self talk? 

Love your Japan pictures. When being hard on yourself is the default--mine too--it's so hard to stop that tape from running. I started reading a book about cognitive behavior therapy (since I can't afford to see someone) that does help a bit when I re-read helpful parts of the book. The basic process is to be aware of the tape running, to ask yourself if the negative self talk is helping you achieve your goals and to change to a new tape, one that is self-supporting. Like anything I think it just takes a lot of mindfulness and practice.

The book is called Talking to Yourself.

Thanks, ordered it. I think re-reading is the way to go as I can't pick up the "be gentle with yourself" concept. When you tell me that you like a photo I do an inner wild dance.  ^_^  :ph34r:  :rolleyes:

Love the flying video, so cool!  

As for negative self talk, I also deal with that.  I try to stop it and distract myself with something else.  My favorite is to repeat "Only Love Today" over and over until I just move on to something else.  It was really effective for my road rage.   ;)   Marginally effective for negative self talk.

Love the flying video, so cool!  

As for negative self talk, I also deal with that.  I try to stop it and distract myself with something else.  My favorite is to repeat "Only Love Today" over and over until I just move on to something else.  It was really effective for my road rage.   ;)   Marginally effective for negative self talk.

I guess all of us are guilty of sabotaging ourselves. I should try the mantra too, thanks Sara. 

P.S Guys, do you have any good articles, like with solid research references about sodas? Bethany will understand my frustration, but J and I had a huge debate this morning (again). It started with me saying that my co-workers brought me a box of fried doughnut holes as a tease (I am mad that you never eat junk, it makes me feel guilty for eating it, this is my effort to fatten you up) and he replied that he had a croissant from his co-workers. I said that it's okay. He was surprised and started teasing me, saying that I can't be possibly supporting his choice of bread and butter. I said that if it's his own choice, you liked it and it is once in a while I have no problems with it. He went on: "I don't know a single nutritionist who would recommend a croissant". My point "you didn't eat it for health benefits. However, I know that a nutritionist would probably agree with me. It is not sustainable to eat 100% perfect all the time, it very well might be damaging for emotional health". Of course I was called a mad woman along with my argument that food choices must reflect your believes, goals and medical conditions. As long as this croissant aligns with them, you should eat it. We can't be further away from each other with our food believes. I am not perfect and mine have changed a lot during past two years from complete ignorance and orthorexia to calm acceptance and careful choices.

However, there are some things that no one in their right mind would argue. Well, here he is, my boyfriend is one of them. He thinks that GMO is a good thing because the planet is overpopulated and we need to feed everyone. I am not saying that this problem does not exist, still, you get the idea. He believes that healthy eating is eating out of guilt not by choice for everyone. Lots of gems like these. That's alright, I am not preaching anything to him nor I plan to. However, he drinks a lot of soda and thinks that artificial sweeteners are fine. They might not be AS evil as people think due to the lack of clinical evidence and their relatively "newness" in our diets, but I want to win this battle. This can't be right, I will never never think that drinking pop is not harmful. My arguments about hormonal responses and insulin resistance are not taken seriously.

Soooo tips, anyone? Thanks for listening to my venting.    

• Moderators

Oh dear. My best tip, though it may be impossible, is to agree to disagree and make food debates off limits. Agree not to try to influence each other's choices and live and let live. Easier said than done, I know, but as long as either one of you is trying "to win," you'll be in an argument if not fight. Even the best science in the world won't convince someone what they don't want to hear.

I just listened last night to my BFF and her husband talk about their realization that what they feed their kids just doesn't matter all that much. They used to fret about giving them nutritious food but now they've given up. Powdered sugar donuts for breakfast, pizza for lunch, hot dogs for dinner, all kinds of candies and treats and chips and sodas in between. And you know what I said? Nothing. Granted, I don't live with these people full time, and they don't pester me much about my food choices, but still. I just don't engage with people whose minds are made up or who aren't interested in another point of view. 

Good luck, Nadia B!

I agree with LadyM on this. As I do most of the shopping and cooking I try to make better choices for my husband where he will tolerate them but ultimately he is an adult and trying to win an argument with your spouse/significant other already means you have lost. A marriage has to be a partnership and practicing that in a dating relationship will help you determine if this is someone you can be in a partnership with. My husband has to always be my ally and vice versa. This doesn't mean that we don't disagree or argue, but it means that my goal in an argument needs to be to come to a mutual understanding whatever that is and not to win. I know how hard this is, but I know for me personally this food change had to be on my terms when I was ready and if anyone had tried to shove me into it I would have just gotten angry and dug in my heels.

Okay I did not choose words properly. I don't want to win an argument and just be the one who is right, I want to supply some information for his thoughts (I am not an authority obviously) so he considers quitting soda. I feel that with solid information and a bit of tease from me he would give it a try. Science and research will suggest that consumption is linked to various side effects, but research is scarce. So we are left with self experimentation. If he feels the difference he would think about it. That's all I hope. 

I never make comments on his food choices unless he asks me, nor I am trying to preach anything to him. It is solely the soda issue not the food argument. All good points though, folks. 

Lady M, I have read a bit on your log. This one is a toughie especially because kids are involved. heartbreaking and moderately terrifying. What you did is the only right thing in these circumstances. 

Bethany, true story, wise words. I'd hate to see him suffer because of that but there is a fine line between support and egoism in this situation. Me having problem with soda has nothing to do with him not having a problem with soda. At the end of the day I am the one with issues :)   

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all. Check-in. Doing alright, hanging in there. Literally. It has been a year since I broke my ankle and I was feeling overly emotional about how well I mended. Until I pulled my hamstring last night :D Reckless splits in the air duh. 

My immune system has been a wreck, I have been picking up every virus out there. Guess what, I have been way more relaxed about my diet, diary here and there, some gluten-free grains occasionally or even a slice of cake (gasp). I was pleased to learn that I am tolerating these so much better and I don't need to freak out about my food more than I want to. However, I largely attribute my immunity collapse to training lots and eating less than ideal. Maybe. 

Weight - I think it's same with some inches lost. Focusing on eating only when legitimately hungry and stopping when full. Also fat is on the lower side of the template. Appetite is a strange thing, some days I can't even think about food and some days I am a bottomless pit. I will leave it be as is, won't force myself eat if I don't want to. Training is good. Sleep is alright. Life is not bad at all, if only I can handle my body image distortion better. Hope you are all doing well. Cheers. 

bf4a6b4a-fcfa-426d-8145-133d14ccc4a4_zps

• 1 month later...

Hey people, Happy New Year! Just saying hello. Eating is very -ish but I am alright with this. My biggest "faults" are higher carb meals (apples apples apples and white rice), occasional whey protein and some random (like 1-2 times) gluten/legumes. Peanut butter I love you and hate you. Sigh. I did okay with all these holidays aka tons of food everywhere. Appetite awareness is the main thing acquired since turning to the whole30. I am quite happy they way things are, because my tummy seems to be doing well enough and my gym game is not too shabby as well. This year was so hard but absolutely awesome. I owe you all a gigantic thanks, you were here for me in my darkest moments of self doubt and you were here for me cheering me on my days of triumph. To the 2015, a better year for all of us. 

This is my year in 15 seconds. Pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySuM7tKBxcQ&sns=em

P.S I am off to Barbados on Jan 5th. Holly sharks, I AM GOING SURFING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya all. I am back from wonderful amazing spectacular Barbados. I was blown away by the beauty of the island and had the best time possible. Right now I am in a bit of a shock from the cold and darkness of Toronto. 

I was eating fish daily for lunch and dinner. It is wild caught here and so delicious. I have had a lot of rice as a standard side for meals. I was eating fried plantains daily and I am going through major withdrawal. I have eaten macaroni pie (local specialty) couple times. I have tried a salted fish baked patty once. I have had dairy free ice cream and a protein smoothie. Local eggs and chicken. Every restaurant has a rooster and a flock of chicks walking around. They cross the road to go to the beach like they are big deal. Hilarious. I seemed to do so well on high carb. I had energy, great recovery and sleep of the dead. I lost weight. My arms got skinnier which is way closer to the look I want. I had zero tummy troubles. I have never felt so good. 

So, my typical day would be:

8 am 2 eggs and a plantain or a sausage

9-12 surfing. Lots of paddling but it's just arms.

1 pm giant piece of fish + rice + salad.

Exploring the island, snorkeling, walking or chilling at the beach (and by this I mean planking or stretching).

6 pm fish + rice/mash/vegetables. Sometimes a piece of fruit, sometimes a dessert but a tiny one. Once we got drunk of a rum cake. Pathetic. 

I am wrecking my brain how to use my experience with food/activity back home. The day after I got back I ended up with poor digestion and nausea. What the f. My situation here is totally different, but should I add more fish to my diet? Stick to rice/plantain starches as they don't bother me vs sweet potato and squashes? Should I scale back on weightlifting as training hard was messing up my hormones? Do I have to accept the fact that I will have bigger arms if I keep doing aerial? Why the heck am I gaining so much muscles on my arms. Do I include more starches? Do I just need to move more? Increase vitamin D? I am puzzled. Therefore, pictures taken with my arm extension aka my phone!

18E55D1C-9DBE-4C77-9683-442EAE3F3F6D_zps DAFDB33E-76A1-4E64-8361-51B4B8A88EC1_zps

24DA82DC-D682-43E1-AC0F-025D1E4DB5B5_zps 3E592FF6-3D4F-47CD-8206-67A4BFEF28BF_zps

93274800-395D-4FCA-8678-6FDF279C9057_zps B3B6F95E-3AFF-4111-B231-0F37F17E2082_zps

Archived