Nadia's PW30. "Let's fix it" journey.

Nadia B

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that lululemon tried really to cater to dancers with their athletic tutu from a year or so ago.

Hi-larious

Year ago I was a happy hamster chewing box of cookies +30 lb. Gym? Dancing? What is lululemon? I had to google the look haha The ones in dancing store are way more modest. Maybe they will give it another try someday...

I love that lululemon tried really to cater to dancers with their athletic tutu from a year or so ago.

Hi-larious

Year ago I was a happy hamster chewing box of cookies +30 lb. Gym? Dancing? What is lululemon? I had to google the look haha The ones in dancing store are way more modest. Maybe they will give it another try someday...

Day 58. Dinner update.

Evening was way better than morning. Looks like it was collective grumpy day for wholefolks. Talks about tutus, bacon and kvass cheered me up. Thoughts about upcoming month and results set the right mood. Thus the mode "get your s together" turned on. I ran home, did laundry, cooked food, took a shower and ran to the ballet class. I like myself so much better like this.

E76A69FE-D451-4FE2-9A53-B487F2A0EFE6-335-000000D3F499435C_zpsc4becfc9.jpg

Dinner: roasted lemon curry broccoli + rosemary beef liver/bacon/onions + over caulirice + tomato + rapini (didn't eat them). Handful of blueberries. Why do people hate liver? This recipe is foolproof, trust me. Cook bacon + caramelize onions + fry liver with herbs and garlic + deglaze the pan. Done. A bit of honey added to onions will make this dish even better. Option - puree with ghee and liquid from cooking. Crazy good pate (nutmeg, tumeric and bay leaf are highly recommended). Besides being a so-called superfood it's cheaper than meat. Seriously, what's not to like about it?

Nausea during the class again. What is it now? Will my body deny all the food I eat? Is it the volume? What do I do with this...

Got home very late and had tea with a spoon of coconut cream.

!Day 60!

Damn, just when I thought that my sleep is getting better. I couldn't fall asleep until 1 am. That's like 2,5 hours past my regular bedtime. Woke up at 6 am again. It will pass, I'll fix it. It's ok. Just recording the fact.

AA2AF870-EBB6-4AE1-8FB4-CDAC076E9305-335-000000D3F258B7D9_zps8100295d.jpg

Made breakfast: cm vanilla coffee + sundried tomato/little bit of bacon/scrambled eggs + cauliflower wrap (I made both. They didn't turn out pliable as I hoped. Next time I will have to squeeze liquid harder and bake longer at higher temperature) + avocado lime ehmm ice-cream not really. It is inspired by this recipe of avocado ice cream, but there mine has no sweeteners, so it's more like chilled avo mush. I think I want to pour the mixture into ice cubes tray next time. Sad to admit but my breakfast looked better than it tasted. Avo thing was amazing tho.

On the other hand I am excited about lunch, yumm: what used to be a curry cauliflower wrap + rosemary liver + green beans + applemango.

9546ADA6-1A77-4B7A-87BE-3CCB44A2E076-484-000000E3811608A6_zps6f4ac634.jpg

My tummy does crazy things (let's put it this way), it's not happy at all. I drank tea and got a splitting headache. Is there anything I can eat not get a nasty reaction? Ah yes, cucumbers. And water. Maybe I can even go wild and eat some lettuce. Rehearsal after work if my stomach will let me.

Anywho, it's time for a monthly wrap up post. I will go over my original post trying to evaluate my progress, pin point problems and find ways to fix them.

Accomplished during Whole30 and after:

• quit smoking – Yes, I am absolutely positive that I won't going to smoke ever again
  • ditch scales (almost) – Yes, but it's because I know the number is up and it's going to upset me very much
  • stop counting calories – Yes
  • eat decent amount of food in general – I feel like I am overeating and need to review my portions
  • 4-5 hours between meals with no real hunger – Yes
  • have only 1 coffee a day – Yes
  • figured out a lot about how specific products affect me

Habits to break:

• nuts addiction – Definitely some progress here, but mostly because I don't keep them at home
  • eating out of the jar/can/fridge – Almost nailed this one
  • eating smth extra 5 minutes after having a meal – Fail
  • sneaking food while cooking – Can't tell, I think that I munch less
  • “fat girl†syndrome – This one is a BIG. FAT (hehe). FAIL. I am paranoid. Literally. I feel like I put on at least 10 pounds. I see the body recomposition going on, yes – more fat where it is not supposed to be in my opinion.

Major goals:

• transit to eating 80% paleo – I have no cravings for crap, but it was never an issue. Grocery shopping, cooking and eating out are very natural now. Good.
  • fix my sleep (struggling with insomnia and trouble sleeping) – first I was hybernating at 10 pm, waking up several times and get up before my alarm (7am) around 6 am. Now I can't fall asleep, wake up several times during the night and get up before my alarm at 5 AM. Zombie mode. Magnesium has no power anymore.
  • heal my gut (my digestion is out of wack completely) – Got better for a week or so. That was it, crazy stuff again. Started taking probiotics. No noticeable effect after a week.
  • learn to stop eating when full even if there is food left on the plate – Fail again. I miss this signal. I eat until I physically feel stuffed. My stomach thinks that World War III is tomorrow and there might be no food.
  • shift to more functional workouts (CrossFit/lifting heavy/etc) – Testing different CF locations and will pick one soon.
  • improve my stress management techniques – Yes, but can't take credit for that. It's the forum and support of the members that make the difference.
  • lean out and drop 3% of bf (no judgement, people) – Don't get me started.
  • be happy

Goals by the end of March:

• tailor my meal sizes, try to follow the template as close as possible
  • work on my eating pattern. I have troubles with technically allowed food. I fall into this eat it all/binge kind of behavior. What's remarkable here – it happened to me way less when I was lowfat 500 calories daily girl.
  • reduce starch and added fat intake, but I need more research on that
  • ditch dried fruits/nuts completely. Exception – I am eating out and food contains them. I think I'll go 2 weeks nuts free and then add dried fruits to banned list. Reason – I have dates at home and I want to wrap my bacon around them :D Which automatically breaks added fat goal too. I have to “clean up†the fridge, people. This is the technique.
  • stop buying fruits regularly = ditch them from my diet 80%. I am not overeating them, but I feel like they have no positive impact + trying to avoid sugar + I have troubles digesting most of them. I am leaving berries though. Again, exception eating out or socializing when it's the only option and I have to eat
  • limit caffeine even more and see if I can do without my morning coffee
  • prepare for my next Whole30 (somewhere in April)
  • plan dinner times better
  • no treats. I am pretty good with this, just stating that buying a coconut treat every time I go to organic store is not necessary. Cap Obvious here.
  • learn to cook meat. Don't laugh, I still suck and haven't moved beyond ground beef/pork/lamb

Looks ambitious, but won't hurt trying.

Day 60. Update.

I know it's 3 AM, but I can't sleep, so I am catching up on logging. Friday dinner turned into disaster. See this pretty picture?

4F30FE9B-E040-4D08-9D3F-E86D84D73580-1627-0000025418102D0B_zps33c8a04f.jpg

Looks yummy. It was yummy - turkey sausage + spinach/artichoke/hardboiled egg/bit lime avocado + tomato. Portion is smaller, good girl. Ate one more egg after, ok. Went to rehearsal and maaaaaan I wish I didn't. Intense nausea and stomache. Drank gallons of ginger tea after to settle my stomach, but didn't help. Ouch.

Day 61.

Bad sleep, obviously. Tried smaller breakfast: half sausage + hard boiled egg + fried plantain + spinach. Tea. Still hungry and tired after.

1C992D4E-CAA8-48D1-85EF-54E872C233C0-1627-00000254160A6DAC_zpsf6c7c236.jpg

What happened next could be best described by this picture

C61EFD0F-C5C8-44C2-BA1B-8FAF9C8BC848-162-0000000EC4081ECF_zps1ad00154.jpg

I debated with myself the whole morning that I will suck it all up and go to the gym, because I hate skipping gym. I tried several squats - ouch. I ate a pre wo meal to leave myself no choice (second half of the sausage). I was a bit late for the class, so I rushed out of home. Still feeling that I really going to skrew up todays wo I tried to catch the green light and cross the road. I sprinted. Stoped and felt that my legs are shaking and feel like noodles. While I was figuring out what's going on I was completely late for the class. Mad at myself I went to grab a coffee. Bonus - got it for free as I forgot wallet at home.

Went home still angry and promised myself to go wo tomorrow. As in hard times I started to cook as my comfort activity. Bonus - I have lots of food.

Went to ballet called Nijinsky after. Bonus - I get all the tickets for really cheap because I am under 30. I had lunch before - asparagus + two beef patties and a tomato. Grabbed couple squares of chocolate as it's a tradition to get treats and coffee during the internission. We shared chocolate between 3 of us. + 1 more coffee. Stomach hurts.

CF26F051-425A-4DE3-8983-AACD944227C5-1627-0000025413F7A45C_zps3ec2cc10.jpg

Then therevwas a lot of drama, skipping the details - situation was (and is) worth a whole jar of Haagen Daz or Movenpick. I stayed true to my food choices. I reheated the dinner like nothing happened - thai chicken + squash + rapini + bit of bell pepper. Also I ate blueberries with 2 teaspoons cm and flakes. Still a food for comfort, but good choice of food and small portion.

8F3DE3AB-2E30-41A9-94A7-2DA3A91E25E0-1649-000002563E3A1369_zps4a9c2853.jpg

Then I went to the masquerade party as staying home was NOT an option. We went to every possible junk food vendor after, as people were craving "drunk food". We went to them all - from pizza to burritos to poutine. Don't google it if you don't have iron stomach and nerves. I felt so good that I will wake up not feeling like, well, like they will feel like. Couldn't avoid akward conversations why I don't eat or drink anything. Had good time - danced and then danced more.

This is it. Hope everyone is having fun this weekend.

1D460742-B093-4F41-91F9-2950E8690166-162-00000017CD66BA96_zpsa4c6eb18.jpg

Just saw your " major goals".... If your not "happy" by the next time I read this..... I swear I'm driving up to Toronto and I'm gonna kick your ass!!!!

How's that for motivation???? Lol

Sounds familiar, that and the struggle with sleep.... Gotta just let every thing go.... Just let go... Unclench your jaw, slow your breathing, say WTF and walk away.... Let it all go

And look over your shoulder if your not happy damn it, because I have a craving for " Marche or is it back to Movenpick yet?" and I'm very stealthy at 6'2" :) :) :)

Your post is great... Keep it up. Great success so far and here's to wishing you even more in the future.... Pics are amazing!

Ok I actually snorted a little when you said you were keeping your dried fruit so you could wrap the dates in bacon...that makes total sense! I looooove bacon wrapped dates.

Krista, I was organizing cupboards and found the jar with "dates" I was talking about. Those. are. prunes. What a loser. I believe that works too :huh:

Hello there.

Thanks for dropping a line. Actually it is a great motivation. Simple food + simple solution to just let go. I like this a lot.

If your not "happy" by the next time I read this..... I swear I'm driving up to Toronto and I'm gonna kick your ass!!!!

Are you saying this to have an excuse to drive here and go to T and T on Cherry street? :P

Day 61.

Woke up hangover. I swear I didn't drink last night. Veggied out in bed with Ipad until 9 browsing recipes as today is a cooking day. Is it me or it is really very annoying to see pancakes recipe on every paleo food blog? We get it – eggs, flour and baking powder. Seriously.

Dragged myself out of bed and cooked nice breakfast - two eggs + daddy's sauerkraut + green goddess cauilrice. Very unusual and yummy. Coffee didn't help much.

E22D3F7E-8B67-4628-85AD-C95A1485152E-465-000000B36B9FC3DD_zpsb71d8c6d.jpg

Then I rolled my sleeves up and got the cooking madness started. Tried my best not to try everything I make MULTIPLE times. Apparently breaking this habit requires titanic efforts and great focus. Lose it for a second and here you are - eating squash wedges from the baking tray thinking of your next steps. Totally happened. No stress here, I know that sooner or later, but I will win.

Had very cheerful and tasty lunch. Curried cream of broccoli soup (blah blah liquid food) + beef liver + bok choy + carrot dip (leftover carrots with lemon, garlic, tsp of raw tahini aaaaand fish sauce. Duh. Bottle looks the same as coco aminos. Not too bad, but had to figure out the way to save it).

E9C28225-8071-4283-82B6-5CA420AAC8F4-465-000000B36B93853B_zps21d35978.jpg

Had a zen moment - full tummy and rosemary smell around the house.

EB74B14A-C4F1-416B-AC95-9435CFFFA957-465-000000B3769C7604_zps174c345d.jpg

Here is what mad cooking bug got me for next week:

- chicken broth ( what do you do with meat from carcass?)

- beef stuffed bell peppers (modified dish from childhood)

- beef patties with caraway seeds

- curried broccoli soup

- plantain tostadas (heavy addiction, but bye bye starch, see you later)

- thyme cinnamon roasted carrots ribbons

- paprika squash wedges

- eggplant caviar (almost a food with no breaks to me! One more ghosts from the past dish, how could I forget about it)

- carrot dip

- artichoke basil pesto

- avocado basil sauce for cauli, but have plenty left

- two spaghetti squashes and a tray of sage orange green beans

Rest of the day didn't go too well, was sneaking waaaay too many random products. Felt unpleasantly full. Decided to go for some fresh air and nerd out in some coffee shop. Had decaf latte with lactose free milk + couple squares (4 actually) of dark chocolate.

F2D57723-70DC-455B-B376-22079DF31CFB-932-000001997EC9C20A_zps75cec1d6.jpg

Surprisingly tummy has settled. I am curious to see ingredients list of lactose free milk and anxiously wait for reaction for this "treat". I will take a long walk home, watch a movie/read and go to bed early. No dinner due to the food tasting syndrome (chocolate has nothing to do with it, no).

Monday will be awesome. If not – Tuesday will be awesome.

Cheers!

Double posting occurred, so I am editing it to a separate post :)

Here are my recently found favorite websites for meal ideas.

Caramelized Onion Sardine Pate from here

Coconut Bacon Kale from here

Liver meatballs with dried cranberries from here

Caldo Verde from here

Sick soup and meatloaf from here

What's on your "to try" list?

Day 62.

Tummy hurts - I blame it on chocolate or latte or both. Anyways, not willing to try again. Cooked simple breakfast: coconut scrambled eggs + chorizo + cucumber + basil avo sauce.

2325CFAB-5AE5-4818-9207-A6349701F92A-932-0000019981E14907_zpsf86c4cf0.jpg

Lunch today will be: yam + oven braised red cabbage + brussels sprouts + beef patties. No fruit or chocolate or any other nonsense. But it's always the dinner time that I f*** up at.

FA1448E7-D874-47E4-81B3-849988E94192-932-00000199810CB948_zpsc454cf38.jpg

Pilates after work. Happy Monday all!

you can wrap anything in bacon and it'll turn out fantastic!

I recently converted one of my best friends (26 yo male, soldier, new england italian, lives alone, single) to paleo, so he could lose some fat and increase his performance in his special forces unit. He had NO idea how to cook before I got to him (see the italian comment up there), and has been petrified of his oven for a long time.

I received the following text from him recently:

"Oh my Jesus Christ on a cracker. Bacon-wrapped dates have made the oven my new best friend. What else can I wrap in bacon?!"

Apparently I neglected to tell him that bacon makes everything better.

"Oh my Jesus Christ on a cracker. Bacon-wrapped dates have made the oven my new best friend. What else can I wrap in bacon?!"

Apparently I neglected to tell him that bacon makes everything better.

Ahah ok, give him a week and ask him to list 5 things you CAN'T wrap in bacon.

Archived