I'm a consultant, live out of a hotel M-Th...HELP!

Hi all,

I just started Whole30, day 1 - woot! I need help creating a plan M-Th when I'm on the road. My client's cafeteria has enough compliant hard boil eggs and veggies for me to make breakfast and lunch work, but dinners will be hard.

Is shashimi my only dining out option? Also, any ideas on how to make room service work for me? I called ahead and they use canola oil to cook everything.

There is a trader joe's near by, but the hotel doesn't have a fridge or microwave...are there quick meals I can make work from trader joes? I may be able to convince the hotel staff to find me a microwave to use...

Help!

So I was on the road recently and I basically ate at whole foods every night. They had a grass-fed bison deli meat I would eat, guac and veggies, shrimp cocktail, olives, prosciutto. Sometimes their rotisserie chicken. I don't think TJ's does as much prepped food, but if there is a TJ is there a whole foods or sprouts nearby?

As well most room service menus have a shrimp cocktail (just use lemon no sauce) and a steak you can ask for no oil on it. And a salad with olive oil and vinegar. As well I bought jerky with me and ate that too.

I will be honest, it was tough, I was dying for something like a real meal, not just put together cold foods, but I stuck through it.

Trader Joes has grilled chicken strips...if you can convince the hotel to get you a fridge and microwave, you could heat it up and throw it on a salad or with a sweet potato or steamed veggies (in microwave or from the cafeteria)?

Are there any restaurants nearby that might be paleo-friendly? Or, maybe you can order grilled stuff from room service (like steak, where they don't need to use oil?)

Are you in the same hotel M-Th? I remember reading some posts near the start of the month by people who were on the road at the same place. She had the hotel storing some cookware when she was gone. Hotels LOVE regular guests and they might be able to do microwave and fridge for you. They also might store a bag for you when you are gone. Bring and extra to leave and fill with tuna fish, olive oil, vinegar of choice. You just need 3 parts oil :1 part vinegar to make a simple dressing. If you can get the fridge you can even make homemade mayo with a hand blender very easily.

I'd look for restaurants that do some grilled fish. That should be pretty easy to get them to make in a compliant fashion. Have them grill or saute the veggies in olive oil and you should be good.

Chipotle can also be helpful. You can get a salad with the carnitas. Carnitas is the only meat not cooked in soybean oil. unfortunately the fajita veggies are also in soybean oil. But you can add almost all the salsas (no corn and black bean).

Thanks for the help so far! There is no Whole Foods or Sprouts near by...only Trader Joe's. I will be at the same hotel for the next few weeks, but my experience with their room service hasn't been too great so far - but I'll just have to be more adamant. I'll also figure out how I can use a microwave at the hotel. I think between Trader Joes, a nearby sushi place, and room service I can make it through! FYI - I'll be in Parsippany, NJ...there is not much around besides a qdoba, panera, and a baja fresh in terms of known "fast food" places.

Thanks again and looking forward to hear more suggestions

Supposedly, you can cook food using an insulated metal thermos and an immersion coil. It kind of sounds like a miniature slow cooker. I Googled "thermos cookery" and got many results, and I'm half-tempted to go buy one and try it. Most of the examples are grains, but I don't see why you couldn't make a meat and vegetable stew or just heat up meat or veggies in one. I've also seen instructions to hard boil eggs in a coffee pot if your room will have one of those.

There are some things you can do at Panera bread, you might just have to ask them to leave out cheese or other things. Check the menu on their website and I think there is another thread about it on here.

Also, I looked up restaurants in the town and it looks like there are a ton of places that could work for you. Lots of steakhouses and things like that. They should be able to make any order without oil and whatnot. I've only eaten out once so far but I got an awesome steak salad at a local Irish pub with no cheese or dressing then added my own balsamic and EVOO, you can try for things like that and a baked sweet potato with nothing on it.

A moderate sized cooler and a once a day trip to the ice machine could be a big help if the hotel can't get you a fridge. Do they have a microwave that's accessible to you? If not, any chance of switching to a suite style hotel that does have a kitchenette? If you can utilize the cooler option you might be able to order some stuff from Pre-Made Paleo that might work for you. You can always give tham a call and explain your situation. They could then recommend some options that will travel well.

Good Luck!

Although I didn't see them last week, in the past I've purchased individual chicken breasts from TJ's that are chicken, olive oil, salt and pepper.

The pack of red/yellow/orange bell peppers is great! Bags of lettuce and baby spinach along with a package of cherry tomatoes for salads.

Canned tuna in olive oil, sardines (I haven't tried these, but others have mentioned them).

Good luck!! I look forward to reading more suggestions in this thread!

When I traveled to Cali last week I packed a small George Foreman grill, garlic powder, and sea salt. I also had a small fridge available. I went to TJ and got organic chicken, eggs, and a lot of cold veggies like tomatoes and carrots. I also got a big back of avocado. I got pretty good at cooking eggs on the grill lol. It made my stress about staying compliant much easier, plus I ate some really yummy food!

• 2 weeks later...

I live one town over from Parsippany. Let me know where exactly you'll be and i can point you in tbe right direction.

Ruthie, just saw this...I'm staying at the Sheraton in Parsippany. I also learned that there is a Whole Foods in Madison that I can try to go to some nights! Please let me know what other suggestions you have. Also, any suggestions on good places to workout/classes that would be good to know from someone who is local.

I've been getting sashimi from Sushi Lounge and the restaurant at the hotel as been accommodating with some of their menu items, but more variety would be awesome...! May hit up Whole Foods tonight since I realized its not too far away

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Hi! I was a road warrior for years and most hotels will provide you with at fridge at no charge if you call ahead and let them know you need it for your medicine. What heals you may be veggies more than pharmaceuticals... I made a bunch of salads sans dressing in individual containers at the salad bar and would add protein and fats later.

If you can get to a WF, their guac is awesome on just about anything--veggies, eggs, meat. I swung by on my way from the airport to the client site to pick up what I needed for the week, just tacked on that time to the evening.

I also left a tiny Forman grill, spices, oils/animals, and ziplock bags (good for marinating veggies and meats) in a duffle bag stored at the hotel when I had projects where I was staying in the same hotel weeks free week.

What about a slow cooker??  Bring that, and some prepped foods that have been frozen (then keep in a cooler with ice, I've done this camping and they lasted a good week) and throw it in that morning to reheat during the day!

Panera has a hidden menu. You can ask them for their allergen menu. The inky issue is that everything in it is really low fat, so you will need to bring/make your own salad dressing --olive oil + lemon juice plus mustard makes a great dressing.

Panera's hidden menu is tricky to do Whole30 compliant. Their chicken seasoning contains sugar, and some dishes contain sulfites or wheat starch. See for yourself at http://paneranutrition.com.

A slow cooker is a great idea.

You can buy chicken from trader joes and a compliant salsa...toss in the slow cooker on low overnight and have it for breakfast on salad with greens with an avocado. Take the leftovers for lunch that day so that you won't need a refrigerator--hopefully, you can refrigerate at work. 

You can also make a soup/chowder--just take a can of coconut milk, frozen veggies, cubed chicken, curry powder, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes. You can make it overnight and have that for breakfast/lunch one day. 

trader joe's has already boiled hardboiled eggs--dice them, mix with an avocado, and perhaps some celery or onion for an "egg salad" type meal--that would be your protein and you can serve it with raw vegetables plus black olives for fat. 

At qdoba the shredded beef and pulled pork look like they might be compliant--you can get it "naked" which is just a salad. Add fajita vegetables and eggs plus guacamole. Use pico de gallo or another salsa as dressing. 

Their ingredient list isn't as detailed as Panera though so I wouldn't go there regularly because odds are they use less than ideal oils--which is acceptable if necessary but not desirable. 

At qdoba the shredded beef and pulled pork look like they might be compliant--you can get it "naked" which is just a salad. Add fajita vegetables and eggs plus guacamole. Use pico de gallo or another salsa as dressing. 

Their ingredient list isn't as detailed as Panera though so I wouldn't go there regularly because odds are they use less than ideal oils--which is acceptable if necessary but not desirable. 

Looks like both have cornstarch and sugar and I'm guessing based on a statement that most of it is cooked in soybean oil. 

Full ingredient list for qdoba is here: http://www.qdoba.com/downloads/Qdoba_Allergen_Info.pdf

Archived