Just finished my Whole30... Major disappointment :(

smati

I just finished my first Whole30 and am disappointed to find I lost 3.5 pounds (while my hubby lost 20). Here was my typical day

Breakfast - coffee with coconut cream (1 ice cube), egg scrambled with ghee and small banana

Lunch - Avocado, bag of Steve's Original beef jerky, handful of macadamia nuts. Sometimes I'd finish my daughters apple - about 1/4th of it - maybe 3x a week.

Dinner - Any whole30 meal recipe

I drank tea 1x a day and drank a lot of seltzer water (flavored but not sweetened. Just generic raspberry lime or mandarin orange from Giant Food/Stop and Shop). Ingredients are carbonated water, natural flavor.

I'm 5'2, starting weight was 150 pounds (today was 146.3). My exercise was limited - yoga 1x a week but I chase my 17 month old daughter around all day long.

I went through IVF to conceive her and had severe postpartum. I recognize that my hormones might be out of wack. I had been down to 140 back in May but then my uncle became very sick and I gained back 10 pounds from hospital food.

I'm also taking the following supplements from the primal store (Marks Daily Apple) - Vital Omegas (3 a day), Primal Flora (1 a day), vitamin D (2 a day)

Please help. I'd like to add dairy back to offer more food options. I wish I could be one of the folks who salivate over canned fish, bone broth, hearts/liver, etc but I get real creeped out by most egg and meat as it is but am able to eat "normal" stuff and force eggs.

Thank you so much!!

I've read blogs of people who only lost a pound or two but went down 1-2 sizes in clothes.

I agree with this. I just finished my Whole30, and when I weighed myself I didn't budge. However, lost an inch and a half in my waist and an inch in my hips. Keep at it!

I have to agree with suzytee. It looks like maybe you weren't giving your body enough fuel to get moving in the morning. If you are looking for a suggestion on breakfast, our favorite is crumbled sausage (cooked with onions and peppers), mashed root veggies (carrots, sweet potato, turnip and parsnip) with a nice over easy egg or two on top. We keep everything, but the eggs, premade in the fridge, so it is quick to make. This fills me up nice for the morning, and I have found that it gives my body a good kickstart for processing food and energy for the day. It actually has become a go-to meal for lunch and dinner when I'm stumped.

I agree. Breakfast looks really light. I'm not sure jerky is a sufficient 'meal' day in and day out, even if it is compliant. You need to vary your proteins. And where are the vegetables? None listed for breakfast or lunch, and if you're having avocado for your fat, you might not want to eat nuts at the same meal.

If you don't eat enough, your body thinks it is being starved and it slows your metabolism way down to conserve what fuel it does get.

Sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, but look how much healthier you are than a month ago, without all the other stuff.

I just re-read what you ate and wow I would be so hungry with just those amounts. I am 5' 0 and weigh about the same and here is what I ate today (still Whole30).

Breakfast: 3 eggs, whole sweet potato and 1/2 avocado and coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Tuna salad made with homemade mayo, onions and celery, 3 cups sauteed kale

Dinner: Chocolate chili, huge salad with tomatoes, onions, carrots and almonds, steamed broccoli

Sorry about the postpartum as that is very tough to deal with. I also have 2 kids (4 and 5) and those first years of sleep deprivation (mine were terrible sleepers) are brutal. Since you asked for feedback, chasing kids isn't exercise. Maybe bundle her/him in a stroller and go for a long fast walk every day (also good for postpartum depression).

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. Losing weight is a slow process for some of us but if you feel good (energy, etc) just continue the program. I lost a little more weight (6.5 pounds) but I was a little heavier than you and I exercise every day.

One other thought I just had is that my weight fluctuates greatly. I usually am up 3-4 pounds around ovulation so it could also be where you are in your cycle and if your hormones are screwed up that could be some of it. Hang in there! My girls are 18 mos apart. I was still 10 pounds heavier than pre-pregnancy when I got pregnant with my second. Then 10 days after my second daughter was born my husband had a stroke (from meningitis, he is fine now but a very hard year). By the end of that year I was 50 pounds overweight. I have lost about 35 pounds of it now and it took me almost a year and half. I lost it slow and steady. So I guess I wasn't expecting to lose more than 4 or 5 pounds. My goal is to lose the rest of the weight by the end of summer and be able to maintain. I am older which is part of my issue with slow weight loss.

Think two cups of vegetables with each meal (that means six cups per day).

Also, if this is your first baby you may be facing the reality that your body will not, now or ever, look the way it did before pregnancy. Losing 3.5 pounds with a seventeen-month-old and postpartum depression issues is HUGE success. Major, major success. And the fact is that your body will be beautiful, from now on, in a veeerrry different way than it was beautiful before you got pregnant.

When I was losing weight after twins, I was able to lose a half a pound a week. It took me about two years that way (I had about fifty pounds to lose I think, I can't remember now that they are nine - when did that happen, by the way??!!).

You did GREAT! Try not to confuse sleep deprivation and depression issues with failure at Whole30. You succeeded spectacularly, and you're even thinking about continuing!! That's awesome! Now go veg out, literally. Six cups a day. Oh yeah.

Also, big hugs!

I hear you about being frustrated with weight loss. I am on Day 29, so I dont know what I have lost but I dont think it was a huge amount. And my husband (who doesnt even need to loose 1 pound!!) has said he has definitely lost wieght because his pants are falling off. Talk about No Fair!! But I feel like I am healthier than I was 30 days ago, and if I can make some of these new habits stick long term, then the weight will have no choice but to be gone :)

You are doing great, stick with it and remember, its a slow journey. I couldnt even consider undertaking this program when I had a 17-month old, so give yourself some credit, take some advice from these folks and try to eat more food (aka Veggies!) get out there for some exercise and hang in there. You'll do great!

Don't get discouraged. It's easier for men to shed weight than women, and although you only lost 3.5 lbs, you might have gained muscle. I've read blogs of people who only lost a pound or two but went down 1-2 sizes in clothes.

This happened to me too!!! I was so sure that at the end of my W30 I would step on the scale and see a lower #, and I didn't! But I felt it in my clothes, so something changed for the better. This right here is why the scale is EVIL!

Archived