Terez: Riding My Bike Post W30

Terez

I tried to weigh myself today but I could not find a place in my 88-year-old house where the floor was flat enough for my digital scale to get a reading! Funny because there is one spot that used to be reliable but that place did not work today. Finally I decided that it is not meant for me to know what today's weight is.

I don't feel any slimmer than when I began on Jan 2nd. That's OK for now. I wasn't doing this for weight loss (even though I have weight to lose). My goal was to improve the nutritional quality of every meal and to have a generous serving (~3 cups) of three types of vegetables every day (greens, cruciferous and deeply colored vegetables).

I accomplished those goals. It's actually my goal for all of 2013.

My two biggest areas to work on are sleep and the timing of my meals. I rarely had breakfast within an hour of waking up, and I often went more than 5 hours between lunch and dinner.

But I'm not tackling those areas quite yet. Although I am meeting my nutritional goals for my meals, I'm doing so at a cost of time and productivity. My next goal is to become more efficient in the kitchen.

Today I brought home a dozen bell peppers and two big Costco clam shells of baby bok choy. I took the time to clean and chop it all, and those vegetables are now in my fridge, prepped and ready to use this week.

Today I reintroduced raw milk. So far there's no reaction other than a feeling of luxury to have this wonderful beverage back in the rotation. Will have some more tomorrow, just to get plenty into my system. This is definitely something I consume several times a day when it's in my rotation. Am hoping that tomorrow and the clean days that follow will be uneventful.

I'll reintroduce pasteurized milk another time. Don't want to mix the two as I consider them different foods.

537326_328205220613330_852344761_n.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to weigh myself today but I could not find a place in my 88-year-old house where the floor was flat enough for my digital scale to get a reading! Funny because there is one spot that used to be reliable but that place did not work today. Finally I decided that it is not meant for me to know what today's weight is.

SO funny! You're right to not fight it--sometimes the universe sends us messages. :)

My goal was to improve the nutritional quality of every meal and to have a generous serving (~3 cups) of three types of vegetables every day (greens, cruciferous and deeply colored vegetables).

I accomplished those goals. It's actually my goal for all of 2013.

I really, really like this. Yes, my long term goal is to stick to the protein + veg at every meal and keep trying new veg and not get stuck in a rut. Let us know how you get on with the raw milk. I've read a lot about it but it's practically impossible to get here. good luck

Hey, Kirsteen! Nice of you to "stop by."

I took those vegetable goals from Terry Wahls' TED talk. Today I measured my vegetables (so far I'd been eyeballing the amounts). I've been eating considerably more than 3 cups per meal. Felt reeaally proud of myself when I saw that.

Raw milk is illegal where I live. I buy it through an underground club. :ph34r:(Don't report me!)

Terez

Terez, the first thing I will introduce this next time is raw milk too. I still don't know how it effects me as I did a poor reintro last time.

What will be your next reintro?

And I would willingly throw my scales away if I didn't need to monitor my other half's weight. He loses weight easily and needs lots of food to keep him going, so I throw him on the scales now and then lol I haven't touched the scales myself since last August before I started my first whole 30. I think I will jump on them just to do a BMI before I start crossfit, just because,

Hi Missi. My third reintro will be alcohol because I'm making dinner for a guest on Feb 10th and I want to have a glass of wine with that meal.

But my second reintro? Hm. That's hard. One thing I've missed since being Primal is beans in my chili. But that's the only time I have wanted legumes. So if I make a pot of chili with beans, and I only have two days in which to eat it, well, that's a lot of chili in a condensed amount of time.

I don't really care for lentils. Peanuts disagree with me terribly. There just aren't other legumes I'd want.

Oh! Maybe I'll do a reintro of rice and have a bowl burrito at Chipotle without beans. I love their cilantro rice.

I can't resist bread so it's almost irrelevant if I do a reintroduction of bread except knowing if it physically affects me could be helpful. But I have to avoid it for psychological reasons as a matter of routine.

I'm very boring here without any real cravings!

What's your plan after raw milk, Missi? (And when will you be post-W30?)

Today I had some people over to watch an internet broadcast. It was from noon until 4. This morning, in addition to running around to get the house ready, I attended a funeral (a neighbor died).

Suffice it to say, I was not prepared with compliant snack foods. Ended up having a few almonds (5?) plus some almond butter and sliced apples. Not a meal's worth. A "tide me over" amount. Followed later with a very late lunch.

Anyway, since I'm no longer on the W30 I figured I "could" have the almond butter + apples. [Was avoiding it because in the fall I was increasingly using that instead of having a real meal.] So, just explaining what's up when you see it on today's chart:

155095_328650133902172_162645090_n.jpg

Congrats on completing WH30. Sorry, I've totaly missed you bok choy question. I cut it in halves lengthwise, brush with ghee/garlic/salt/pepper/whatever spices look good and bake it at 350 for around 15 min. I can't tell exactly, just don't burn the leaves. There are two options after - sprinkle balsamic and bake couple minutes more or toss with lime zest/juice. I guess you can use olive or coconut oil as well, I prefer ghee.

I found a picture of one of my dinners, it looks like this http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a633/cicatella/4f997ffb841718b4642310d7781b8f42_zps9b6bee62.jpg

Second? Probably wine.... I enjoy it so much. I do like lentils, but I don't miss any other legumes. Ill also add a bit of local honey in the spring to ward off allergies. And spinach juice:) I used to make a smoothie with coconut water, orange juice, spinach and avocado. I miss that and ill probably add it in in small quantities.

I don't know when my whole whatever will end, I didn't create a deadline. I'm just going with it... Till I feel well. Then I'll reintroduce as long as I still feel well.

Nadia, I love bok choy but I've never made it that way... Ill have to try it! Maybe ill hit the Asian food store today:)

Nadia, I had chopped the leaves up and they were too small to roast. I'll wait and roast the halves next time I buy baby bok choy. Meanwhile I've made a note of your instructions so I can find it later!

Missi, it looks like wine will be second for me because I'm possibly having a reaction to raw milk :huh: and will want to let my system get good and clear before the next reintro.

Woke up with very mild congestion and a few coughs. Nothing much, and if this was a reaction to raw milk, I can live with it.

Then I proceeded to develop a mild headache and a very grumpy attitude. Is this a reaction to the milk? Oh, man, I sure hope not!

Late afternoon I took a nap and boy, oh, boy was I ever snoring more than usual! Woke myself up with a start once, and woke myself up more quietly several times. Very poor sleep quality.

I'm going to eat clean and see how soon this clears up, and I will definitely reintroduce milk again and see if this happens again.

Probably will reintroduce wine first (on Feb 9-10) and then eat clean a few days after that and reintroduce raw milk again the following week.

Not a happy camper at the prospect of no milk!

Oh, Missi, I hope this doesn't happen to you when you reintroduce milk! (And I still hope it's not really a milk reaction for me.)

Did my chart yesterday and surprised to find that I didn't post it. Well, I was feeling crummy. Slept all day today (didn't go to work). Still not feeling great; going back to bed soon.

Callan, you're welcome to use the same method! It's an excel chart and I freeze the panes at the corner of the date and column "A" to allow each day to show. Then I take a screenshot each day and post that to facebook, and then link back to it in the "image" thing here. (If you use facebook, you'll need to change the "s.jpg" to an "n.jpg" in the code or else it shows up tiny.)

I'm including more of the page in today's screenshot so you can see a little better what I'm doing. I've got the whole month mapped out like you can see in 2/5, with the xx where I'm going to type in what I had.

481606_329393650494487_983238128_n.jpg

Thank you, Donna!

My success story isn't very impressive but I'm trusting the process. I am convinced that consistently eating a careful variety of healthful food will provide my body with the material it needs to do its job.

The charts make it easy to keep track. I do well with structure. :)

Terez

Speaking of charts, here is today's. The first meal was a smaller quantity than usual and I didn't quite finish it. The second meal was a pretty much normal quantity and I did finish it. The third meal I was hungry for. It's great to be hungry again!

In fact, when I was hungry before dinner I decided to have a handful of pistachios. But then I realized, if I had the pistachios I might not be hungry for dinner. So I decided to have them with dinner. I shelled them, and left them in a bowl by the stove. (Then I took three as my snack. Also had some coconut butter because my morning meal was low on fat.)

11982_329897990444053_1855621466_n.jpg

I had an early meeting at work. Required me to get in two hours early. I overslept, then skipped breakfast (and was still 10 mins late but that's OK because someone else was later).

Did manage to bring my lunch. But I was still hungry after I ate. There are almonds in my drawer at work but I wanted a better nutritional snack. Realized it would behoove me to put a jar of coconut butter in the drawer. Meanwhile, I mentioned to the bookkeeper that I was going to run to the grocery store for some hard boiled eggs -- and she told me she had a couple of hard boiled eggs in the fridge.

I ate one, and that was enough. No more hunger. From there I lasted until dinner.

Anyway, between not eating much on Monday because of being sick, and then missing breakfast today, my clothes are hanging off me all of a sudden. On Monday I didn't get all my vegetables in but I did yesterday and I did today.

This is making me think about doing the bulletproof coffee thing of having coffee + ghee + coconut oil for "breakfast" and then having two meals a day. As long as I'm having full servings of all my vegetables, and having animal protein on the meals, would it be so terrible?

480442_330300310403821_2094413520_n.jpg

I've been using the Sleep Cycle app. The "percentage" sleep quality rating seems a bit off to me because the length of time in bed increases the percentage, as does the amount of time spent unmoving in bed. So a longer night with more tossing and turning can get a higher quality rating than a shorter night with more solid sleep.

Anyway, despite the just pretty-good 82% percentage rating here, I'm pretty doggone proud of Tuesday night's sleep where I was in DEEP sleep for nearly four solid hours. (The "awake" spike at 12:30AM is when the dog desperately needed to be taken out.)

382191_330584633708722_670393124_n.jpg

Terez, I think derval is right on the sleep cycle thing. But depending on how much sleep you normally get, a longer time in bed would give you a higher rating. I am still not convinced that its accurate. And I know that it gauges the sleep of me and my other half, but since we either sleep well or don't, I have decided it doesn't matter, it's still a gauge of some sort.

Also, I've been playing around with my morning meal and stuff, so on the bulletproof coffee, here's what I've done and my results. I didn't prep well a couple of days and didn't have an egg and sardine when I first got up. So bulletproof coffee was my "food" within an hour of waking, then breakfast a couple of hours later when I got to work. I'm ok with the bulletproof coffee if I eat a high fat less carb breakfast, eggs, spinach, a little sweet potato and some sardines. No fruit. The day I didn't eat early, then had a breakfast of spinach and meat and a diced apple, the rest of the day was crappy and I was foggy and unsatisfied. If I eat an egg early and have my bulletproof coffee, then I'm not hungry for a few hours. This also messes me up slightly but i think if I was consistent it would be fine. I don't seem to do well without some kind of protein within 2 - 3 hours of waking.

Just thought I'd share my experiences, in case it's helpful to you.

Terez, I love looking at your graphs and charts. I also laughed out loud at the fact someone was later than you to the meeting. I can so relate.

The bullet proof thing. In between W30s, I kind of like a bullet proof with both ghee and CO and a hard boiled egg on the days that a complete meal doesn't work for whatever reason. Then I really load up on veggies and protein for lunch. I seem to want a starchy carb for lunch along with my greens on those days.

Archived