Terez: Riding My Bike Post W30

Terez

I *think* you are supposed to cycle between deep & light sleep regularly though - I noticed the nights I got realy hscores the graph was very evenly up & down

Just googled this article which looks interesting

http://www.helpguide...fe/sleeping.htm

What an informative article, Derval. So I scrolled back through all my graphs and I don't think any of them had more than two dips into "deep sleep" so maybe I was making up for a deficit with the night I posted above. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over time.

I do notice that I'm less groggy on the middle-of-the-night dog walks. Now I feel awake and alert when the dog needs to go out, where before I used to feel groggy and out of it.

Missi, that's interesting about your Bulletproof Coffee experiments. Yesterday I had two cups and it was too much (too greasy in my stomach without any food to balance it). I think I'll be having one cup when I try it.

A big appeal is the time savings in the morning from no cooking, no sitting to eat and no clean up (except to clean the blender, which is much faster than cleaning a frying pan, utensils and plate from cooking breakfast).

At the same time, a little voice in the back of my mind is giving me a lecture because eating within an hour of waking up is supposed to reset our cortisol, and I think rebalancing cortisol is important for me. So maybe I'll experiment with Susan's method of having a hard-boiled egg with the bulletproof coffee (thanks for that tip, Susan!).

If I combine a hard-boiled egg with leftover vegetables, I can use the bulletproof for my fat and not have much in the way of dishes to do. Although there is still the time it takes to eat. (Good grief, listen to me!)

Today I had lunch that didn't have added fat: very tasty stock (from last night's pot roast) in which I cooked kale and three pastured eggs. So I thought, hey, let me have berries with coconut butter, something I've read about but never tried (I normally have them with coconut milk).

Wow. It was like white chocolate on the berries. Very high possibility for the dessert I serve on Sunday.

Another thing I noticed is, I'm having berries pretty much every day. And not as part of the meal, but with coconut milk (or coconut butter) after a meal, as in when one would have dessert. So I shall skip berries tomorrow, have them probably on Sunday and then give it a rest for a few days.

Meanwhile there are some clementines still in my fridge that I can start having instead. I like them mixed in a salad. Hm. Guess I can try the berries in a salad and see how that goes. My issue is that I'm having them in dessert mode. I'm keeping it at just once a day for me with fruit, which feels like a balanced amount.

I need to get some writing done today and I'm seriously procrastinating. Must whip myself to put pen to paper! top_hat_whip.gif

Terez

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to post my chart from Thursday, and forgot to fill it in yesterday! Here's Thursday's. Will fill in Friday's and post it soon.

535699_331262526974266_1485561691_n.jpg

On the sleep, I had another night with a long stretch in deep sleep (3+ hours) and then another dip into deep sleep after a spike. What I notice is that I'm vividly remembering my dreams, which is what happened when I woke up after the night with 4 hours of deep sleep too:lots of dream recall. I guess that's connected with where my sleep level is at the time of awakening.

No sulfur vegetable today. Planned to buy baby bok choy at Costco and they were out. Considered asparagus and broccoli but my fridge is pretty full and I want to serve cauliflower at Sunday's dinner. Then I forgot to go out later and get the cauliflower. Coulda/shoulda gotten some frozen broccoli, just to be covered. Lesson learned.

The other thing is, I'm noticing myself having berries and coconut milk or butter as sort of a dessert. Well, today I bought blueberries and had them with coconut butter -- but didn't like it. Too rich or something. Ugh. Had some as a snack but just left the rest of it sitting there. After supper I picked at it but just didn't like it. Threw it out and gave the remaining blueberries to my sister.

Will have some mixed berries for Sunday's dessert then I think I'll take a break from the berries. Will just have some fresh fruit mixed into salads. And if I really want a 'dessert' then maybe that means I should look at reintroducing dark chocolate.

Speaking of reintroductions, I had a glass of raw milk tonight. We shall see if I react to it. (Fingers crossed!)

Could not remember what I ate yesterday but I do know it was compliant, so I gave up on trying to fill yesterday's chart in. Here is today's:

536115_331547086945810_1414946614_n.jpg

Yesterday I was going to make roast chicken for my brother, using a clay baker. The covered clay baker makes wonderfully moist chicken with a crispy brown skin. The only thing is, it takes 4 hours to do so and needs to start with a cold oven.

I was soaking my clay baker in preparation to making the roast chicken when I realized -- my oven was hot because I was in the middle of making ghee. Argh! So I called my brother about the timing of our dinner and it turned out he preferred to eat out. (More a comment on my unavailability for conversation while I'm cooking rather than being about my cooking.)

So we went out, which was fine -- except that, having had lunch at my mother's house (and the accompanying "polite" portions of vegetables), and now having a modified Greek salad for dinner, I was not getting all my vegetables in.

There I was at 10PM, making kale chips to get my greens in. My other vegetables were not of the quantity that I aim to eat each day.

Today I got my vegetables in but somehow still did not feel satisfied. About two hours after lunch I was feeling peckish. Was glad I had brought a jar of coconut butter to the office; had a bigger amount than usual (a tablespoon rather than a teaspoon).

Likewise my supper of leftover pork and freshly-made cauliflower mashed faux-tatoes also did not satisfy. Had a little bit of berries w/coconut milk and that helped. Right now I could eat something but I'm going to be fine with not having anything.

The chicken is waiting to be roasted plus I have the recipe for mango chicken that Nanette posted, both of which I may make on Wednesday and then have a pile of leftovers to eat for a few days. Might make enough of the mango chicken to freeze some.

So here's the chart for yesterday and today:

563188_332342243532961_2033935955_n.jpg

Oh! I forgot to mention -- no reaction to the glass of milk I had on Saturday. And yesterday I had a glass of wine with Sunday's lunch and another with Sunday's supper.

Slept "normally" for me (which is, a lot of time in deep sleep).

Feeling fine.

However, I think I would have enjoyed both meals just as much without the wine. Especially the second one, where the wine wasn't as fine a wine as what I had had earlier.

I'm amused by your mention of "polite" vegetable portions because I can so relate! I can't stand to share meals with people because typically the amount of vegetables allotted for everyone is close to (or less than, in the case of my family) the amount I'd take for just myself!

Terez, I finally broke out the TT coconut concentrate. Three words: O. M. G. It is crazy good. I had about 3T and think it was too much for me--tummy not real happy. Or maybe it was the banana, canteloupe, and raisins I put it on (from hotel's complementary breakfast, plus 2 rubber boiled eggs I chopped and mixed with mayo). It was the most fruit I've had at once since Jan 5

Glad to hear you're getting on better terms with your beloved raw milk.

Callan, I measured the other day and I'm averaging 4 to 5 cups of vegetables per meal. Those little half-cup amounts of three vegetables that used to seem normal -- well, I go home and EAT after a meal like that!

Three tablespoons was probably a bit rich for your tummy, Eileen. But I can relate. Normally I chip the stuff out of the jar because my kitchen is around 60 degrees in the winter. So I'll have a few chunks of it. However, this week I took jar to the office -- where the temperature is kept at about 70 degrees. Well, coconut butter is reeeaal easy to scoop out at that temperature! And it's reeeeaaal hard to stop scooping it out!

Never quite understood before when people talked about eating so much of it. Now I get it...

rubber boiled eggs

Ha! :D

This is why I never replaced my empty jar with a new one :(

Well, if you find yourself living in an old house that stays chilly in the winter, you'll probably be able to renew the relationship, Nadia. I have no problem limiting the cold chunky stuff. It remains to be seen how I manage with the jar at work. ;)

Today and tomorrow I am reintroducing sugar. I had a 70% dark chocolate truffle and two (very thin) squares of 70% dark chocolate. Normally I would have 90% chocolate but I don't have any in the house. Am enjoying the 70% stuff very much.

Tomorrow I will have bacon (with sugar as one of the curing ingredients). And I just might make bacon-wrapped dates while I'm at it.

Have had hefty servings of vegetables with both breakfast and lunch, and feeling much more satisfied than I have felt after my meals the past few days.

Supper will be chicken two ways: Mango Chipotle Chicken (simmering in the microwave) and crispy roast chicken (roasting in my clay cooker). Both take several hours to cook. I'm looking forward to making cauli-rice for the first time to accompany my Chicken Two Ways meal.

Terez

I have no problem limiting the cold chunky stuff.

Last time I ate it like a hard candy :wacko: No more experiments.

Good choice for dinner. Bacon wrapped dates sound great too, I'll definitely steal this idea for lunch someday. Such a shame I haven't thought about it myself. Thanks!

Last time I ate it like a hard candy :wacko: No more experiments.

Oh, sorry to hear that, Nadia. I'm lucky that it's not quite as tasty to me when it's cold. (And I actually dislike it when it's hardened onto cold fruit.)

Here is today's chart. The 70% chocolate is sweeter than what I usually eat. That means it's easier to eat more. I rarely eat more than one square of 90% chocolate at a time. Today I easily at two squares of the 70% (twice!).

Also, there's more sugar in the 70% than in the 90%, and I notice myself wanting to go get something else sweet to eat. The extra sugar definitely stirs up a desire for more sugar.

Both of these 70% chocolates (the bar and the truffles) were gifts during January. I think I'll wrap the truffles up and serve them when I have guests. The chocolate bar is too tempting; I'll either give it away or throw it away. And I'll buy myself a bar of 90% chocolate for my treats.

Tomorrow I'll have bacon. Looking forward to that.

480160_333242276776291_42487692_n.jpg

I tried to weigh myself today but I could not find a place in my 88-year-old house where the floor was flat enough for my digital scale to get a reading! Funny because there is one spot that used to be reliable but that place did not work today. Finally I decided that it is not meant for me to know what today's weight is.

LOL - the house we live in was built in 1875 - we're so crooked none of our doors totally close. It's hilarious. About the only spot my Withings scale will work consistently is in the upstairs bathroom way back in the corner.

Will be interested to hear how you do with your raw milk next time around. :)

Oh, your house is nice and old, Nanette!

I did have a glass of milk last weekend and no reaction to it. Will be reintroducing butter next, and will have another glass of milk then as well. I am feeling hopeful that when I got sick after the initial raw milk reintroduction, it was a timing coincidence and not a reaction.

So yesterday was Valentine's Day and it was also Day 2 of my sugar reintroduction. So I broke off a square of that dark chocolate and decided to read the label. Well, it turns out it's 46% chocolate, not 70% -- and it contains soy lecithin! I spit it right out into the trash can and tossed the rest of the bar.

Decided to have another truffle and I began to read the package while the truffle was melting in my mouth -- and the ingredients included oat milk and agave! I wasn't crazy about the flavor anyway so I spit that out and tried another. Again to the trash can (by now my dog had parked himself next to the trash can and was sending me furious ESP messages that he would gladly eat these great-smelling foods that I was spitting out!).

The chocolate shell around the truffles was tasty so I ate that and tasted then tossed the centers. Later I went to the store and bought my beloved 90% chocolate. Had two squares of it later in the day, and each square was totally satisfying.

This may not have been a very good "sugar" reintroduction, considering what small amounts I had. But I am not interested in consuming quantities of sugar. So we'll leave it at this.

I am interested in having butter (as opposed to ghee) because I think it retains more nutrients than ghee. So I'll be doing an introduction of butter at some point.

560028_333932106707308_1198539971_n.jpg

A big plus is, I have increased the quantities of my vegetables again and am no longer hungry between meals.

Big sigh as I realize I have not tackled any grain reintroductions. And that I traditionally visit the Krispy Kreme shop around Valentine's Day to indulge in my annual doughnut. whistling.png

So I'm telling myself that 'sugar' is not really a reintroduction and that today would be a good day to visit the Krispy Kreme, and now would be a good time to go because it's still early in the day and I could have a coffee with my doughnut.

Thanks, Nadia!!!

Now that I'm saying I don't care to introduce large amounts of sugar, I'm about to go out and have two doughnuts. Will go to the nearby Dunkin Donuts because I don't want to make the drive to Krispy Kreme.

My justification is, I have the rest of the 3-day weekend off (4 days counting today) and I can "afford" to have a reaction. It will be a while before I have another stretch of time like this where I don't have commitments, so it seems like the best time to see how I do with gluten grains. (And I don't think that sugar is truly considered a reintroduction item so I don't feel like I'm really screwing things up.)

Will have two doughnuts very shortly. And then see if I want to have bread later or let this be enough gluten grain for right now.

Terez

Well, I went to the nearby Dunkin Donuts and they had exactly two of my favorite doughnut left (sugar-raised). Brought them home, brewed up a fresh cup of (not bulletproof) coffee.

The doughnuts were not strictly fresh (a few hours old). But otherwise they were pretty darned tasty and satisfying. I'm sure I'll still head to Krispy Kreme one of these days but there's no rush for it.

So far, no reaction to the wheat.

Having some bread is more problematic. The good stuff requires buying a loaf, which I can't be trusted with. And I don't see the point of eating wheat if it's not the good stuff...

Terez

A bit of a mess-up for M3 because I didn't have a protein ready, and I did have a dog walk and phone call to fit in. Thawed some salmon to make Tom's recipe but was missing an ingredient (thought I had everything!) and just couldn't face more chicken. Anyway, I had a few rashers of bacon but not a palm's worth. But I did make my vegetable quota.

65587_334137523353433_645327963_n.jpg

You picked a good time to visit, Nanette. Usually my log is a pretty boring. Something about the reintroductions that makes me go a little crazy. ;)

Looks like my Krispy Kreme visit will be postponed indefinitely, Eileen. One of my sisters told me she'll be making a Boston Cream Pie soon and asked if I wanted to be there when it's served. I assured her that I will be happy to sin for a piece of homemade Boston Cream Pie! Krispy Kreme will just have to wait a while. (Maybe until Valentine's Day 2014...)

I've been away from my log for a few days and now I can't remember what I ate on Saturday. I do know that it included two squares of 90% dark chocolate, as well as the banana-cocoa "ice cream." Just mentioning that in the interest of full disclosure.

Here is Sunday's chart:

267954_335182819915570_157094081_n.jpg

I did make the meatballs you recommended, Nanette, with some tweaks. First, I don't eat onion so the whole construction was lost. I put everything together late on Saturday night and wondered if the (very wet!) meatballs would moosh together into a giant meatloaf but I woke up Sunday morning and found they all kept their shape perfectly.

Did not use any cheese. Did add about a pound of ground lamb liver. Used 1.33 lbs of hot italian sausage because that's what I had. And two or three lbs of ground beef (don't recall now). Oh, and I subbed 1/3 c. coconut flour instead of almond meal.

So, lots of substitutions. The meat seemed nice and spicy so I just used plain canned tomatoes (no spices added to the tomatoes).

The result: Very tasty. It actually tastes like there is cheese in it. Maybe it has to do with the coconut flour (and maybe the lamb liver?). And it is a HUGE amount.

On Sunday morning I took about ten (big) meatballs out and topped the crockpot off with more tomatoes, which I then simmered for a few more hours. I'll have several meals of it this week, and I have meatballs frozen and there is sauce being frozen right now.

Archived