Terez: Riding My Bike Post W30

Terez

Oh -- I had no reaction to the pasta. Didn't eat much (didn't really want it, was just eating it to test gluten). I know we're supposed to have larger quantities for testing purposes but I don't want to wake up my wheat/starch dragon.

Will eat clean today and tomorrow, then reintroduce dairy on Wednesday.

The Boston Cream Pie might be as soon as Friday. It depends on my sister's work schedule, which is still unfolding. Eating that means wheat, sugar, dairy.

For those who don't know, Boston Cream Pie is yellow cake with pastry cream filling and a chocolate glaze on top. It's one of my very favorites.

539753_335188403248345_1077885455_n.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Catching up on my food chart and I see that I missed a meal two days in a row here. Yesterday I had one meal that felt like two. But today I didn't think I'd be hungry so I didn't take lunch to work. And of course I ended up snacking on coconut butter, coconut and almonds. Exactly what I don't want to be doing (eating compliant non-meals).

Well, had a very good supper. But no deeply colored vegetable today. I had some zucchini that needed to be eaten, so I ate it.

Had mustard greens with dressing this morning. Yuk. I've got at least two more meals' worth. Hopefully they'll taste milder when I cook them.

150731_335603226540196_1197136424_n.jpg

Three meals today. Back on track here.

Went to Costco and bought a brisket. Have to wonder if there's a nationwide bump in brisket buying this week. :)

Also bought a big ol' bag of frozen broccoli and frozen green beans. I'm set for sulfur and deeply colored vegetables. I've got an extra-busy time coming up and don't want to deal with shopping or prepping. Will just need to buy some bags of greens. (But not mustard greens!)

382269_335948053172380_1517773243_n.jpg

This morning I had bulletproof-style coffee made with Kerrygold butter. Now I understand why people who were drinking bulletproof before their W30 decided to drink it black rather than have it with ghee.

My coffee tastes absolutely ahmazing with butter! dance-smiley.gifRicher, smoother and sweeter than with ghee.

This morning I had bulletproof-style coffee made with Kerrygold butter. Now I understand why people who were drinking bulletproof before their W30 decided to drink it black rather than have it with ghee.

My coffee tastes absolutely ahmazing with butter! dance-smiley.gifRicher, smoother and sweeter than with ghee.

Kerrygold makes everything better :)

Kerrygold is my excitement for today. Tonight I picked up some raw butter and will try a cuppa with that in the morning. Maybe I'll do a side-by-side test.

Very fatigued today. Ever since I woke up (before the Kerrygold). I think it's too many nights of not enough sleep. It's getting to me.

And I am having berries every day...

601990_336301049803747_1538446693_n.jpg

I've been reluctant to try the whole bulletproof coffee thing. Everyone raves though, I might have to! Do you have to whip it in? Please report on the raw butter comparison. ;) I'll hit up Google, but I am guessing raw butter is just unpasturized? I wonder if it's illegal here like raw milk.

Jessica, yes, you have to mechanically mix the butter and the coffee. I use a high-speed blender. Someone else uses a milk frother. You might have luck with a hand whisk if you're so inclined. But it needs to be blended (or as I read somewhere, blendered).

And if raw milk is illegal then yes, raw butter will be too.

I carefully measured the butter out: 12 grams of each. (Eyeballed the amount of kerrygold, then weighed it and dug out the same weight of raw butter.) Both were paler than I expected, I guess because of it being winter time.

Brewed a large cup o' joe. First put the kerrygold into the blender with 8 ounces of coffee. Whirred high speed for 20 seconds (longer than the usual 10 seconds) and poured it into a small cup.

Rinsed the blender. Then made two mistakes. (1) I did not add the butter first. This was a mistake because I added the kerrygold first, then made up the volume to reach 8 ounces. This time I started with coffee, and was aiming for the 8-ounce line. Then my second mistake: (2) I held the blender while pouring in the rest of the coffee. And I didn't hold it as straight as the base of the blender holds it.

At any rate, I ended up using a couple ounces more coffee with the raw butter sample than I did with the Kerrygold sample.

First sips: Kerrygold was more flavorful. What was the difference? Sip both again. Hm. The salt? So I added a grind of pink Himalayan salt to the cup with raw butter. Oh, yes. That definitely added a missing note.

But the Kerrygold was still a little better. Could have been because there was a higher butter:coffee ratio. But honestly, the difference was so minor that I will use up my supply and then stick with the raw butter for health reasons (because I think raw is better than pasteurized).

Kerrygold is much more affordable ($7 for 1.5 lbs, while the raw butter is $11 for 1 lb). I'm fortunate to be able to afford the higher-priced spread. I'll probably keep Kerrygold in the freezer to use when I run out of raw butter.

5636_336532953113890_1851527232_n.jpg

Raw on the left, Kerrygold on the right. Those are very small saucers holding the butter!

I love your tables. You're so organized! :) Collard green chips? Might have to try.

Coffee with butter experiment will have to wait till next week for me. Did notice I must have old information... the natural food place by my house has raw milk, cream, and butter. I thought I read raw milk could only be sold as pet food in FL. Hmm. REALLY expensive though and aside from coffee I am not a huge milk drinker (hubby and kids are though). More to research (brain hurts).

Eileen, I look forward to hearing about your reintroductions!

Jessica, I also had heard that raw milk was only sold as pet food in Florida. Unless the law changed recently...?

Really late night again. My sleep is definitely suffering.

734548_337772976323221_1409972092_n.jpg

Kerrygold will not disappoint, Nanette!

Oh, my. Woke up with my gut feeling temperamental. Did have some breakfast but it didn't sit all that well. Later I kept craving yogurt. Finally went to the store and bought some. It tasted absolutely exquisite with mixed berries.

But I was still hungry and didn't want to go out again so I found a can of fruit packed in juice. Drained the juice and added some of the fruit to some yogurt. Ugh. Canned fruit!

Then a little while ago my "regular" appetite came back. Had some tuna and kale and mayo'ed caesar dressing. Hit the spot. I'm predicting I'll have a square of dark chocolate later, so I wrote that onto the chart.

540956_338480722919113_12362779_n.jpg

Oh, hey. On Sunday I went to Philadelphia (actually, Haverford). Stopped at a grocery store up there that's right on my way. And what is "coming soon" to that shopping center but a brand spanking new Krispy Kreme shop. I have a feeling I'll be indulging quite a bit sooner than next February!

Terez

Miss all of you and the forum! My meals are slipping a bit. Coming up short on one vegetable each day. Partly because things are crazy for me right now and I don't have prepped food and/or I don't want to have to clean up even one pot from heating something up. Also have not been recording in my daily chart. Seeing what I'm eating would help me.

Last night I came home to a dark street -- we had a power outage. I gave myself permission to have an apple and almond butter. I didn't want to deal with chopping and cooking in the dark (I have a gas stove and could have cooked). Could've done it if I were on the W30.

Anyway... here's yesterday's chart. I will try to at least post my charts until I have time to visit and catch up.

482254_340354882731697_710731667_n.jpg

Krispy Kreme, really? I used to loooove those. Knowing how Poorly I reacted to Bday cake, you'd probably find me passed out under a bridge somewhere from a Krispy Kreme coma LOL, yet seriously.. . . . Wish I could, just a little bit though.

Sorry that wheat is such a violent "no" for you, Nanette! Yes, for some reason I really love those Krispy Kremes. Only the ones made fresh at the shop; the boxed ones in the grocery store hold no power over me.

On Monday I came home to find my power out. So I "treated" myself to almond butter and an apple for supper. That used to push a good meal off my plate regularly before the Whole30. This was the first time I've had it since Jan 2nd and -- it really did not live up to my memory!

What did live up to memory was how easy it was compared to cooking a meal. It worked for pulling together something to eat in the dark.

Anyway, I am hoping that my Krispy Kreme experience will feel similarly disappointing. And I think there's a good chance they'll now be too sweet for my taste now. Black tea without sweetener used to be slightly bitter to me, and now it tastes slightly sweet. I'm using the exact same tea leaves to brew my tea, no change there.

I'm going to open a bottle of wine tonight. Haven't had any for weeks but want to use some in cooking, and will definitely have a glass being that the open bottle will be here.

Well, it's wet and cold out, and I need to walk the dog. We were supposed to get eight inches of snow but it's a total washout.

Terez

Archived