Tammy's 1st Whole30

tammy323

I'm not good at remembering to journal but I had a few issues yesterday so I figure a food diary might help pinpoint what the issue might be. A little bit about me: I've battled digestion problems all my life with it culminating in gatroparesis about 4 years ago. I did things like eat low-fiber, eat before 5 (or else I'd get sick), eat processed foods. I still felt bad and I missed fresh fruits and vegetables so I tried a vegan diet 2 years ago. That seemed to be working okay but I'd still get sick every once in awhile and still had stomach pain and IBS symptoms. This past December I checked in a book about the Paleo diet (I work at a library) and thought I'd give it a try. I was a little worried about all the meat since, in the past, it seemed to take my stomach a loooong time to digest beef and other meats.

Well it agreed with me so the vegan lifestyle was though (yay bacon!). I found the Whole9 site while researching Paleo diets and read about the Whole30. Plus Nomnompaleo was doing it and I was interested in her journey.

So here I am on Day 3! I feel pretty good today after running into something that gave me stomach pains last night. I'm thinking it is either coconut milk or the guar gum in coconut milk. Also, my joints feel a lot better (I have fibromyalgia and SI joint pain) so that is another awesome bonus. I hope when it gets a little warmer outside (it is 25 degrees right now in VA) I can start training for a 10K I signed up for in April.

Here's what my Day 2 looked like:

Meal 1 - 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, 1/2 sweet potato with cinnamon, black coffee

Around 11:00 - 4 oz G&T Trilogy kombucha (that plus probiotic plus magnesium really keeps things moving)

Meal 2 - 3 oz ground lamb, 1/2 sauerkraut, 1/3 cup cumin roasted carrots, 1/2 avocado

Meal 3 - 4 oz lemon and artichoke chicken and 1 cup cooked broccoli. I had made mashed butternut squash with coconut milk and had one taste and my stomach rebelled so I added more broccoli to my plate.

I'm so glad to have a place to find answers to my questions and track what I'm doing each day to keep me on my goals!

Here's hoping the Whole30 helps you towards your running goal.

I am no expert (that's the caveat) but I have found that adding grated root ginger to butter nut squash and sweet potatoes when mashing them makes them really tasty and ginger is supposed to be calming for the stomach............just a thought.

Love the sound of the lemon and artichoke chicken. Sounds delish.

Day 3 Meals -

Meal 1 - 1 fried egg (ran out of eggs - gasp), piece of approved bacon and a tiny bit of pineapple and strawberries

Meal 2 - hamburger patty with lettuce and 1/2 avocado, broccoli, handful of nuts

Meal 3 - oven roasted cod with coconut oil and BBQ3000 on it, roasted Brussels sprouts, sweet potato and cucumber salad

Got in a 30 min. walk before the snow flurries started!

Well I have to restart my Whole30. Made some poor choices at my Dad's house today (sip of wine, found out there were potatoes in the stew). I don't feel bad about having to restart. I will just consider the past few days "practice".

This next time I will also exclude foods that cause problems for people with fruit malabsorption since something is still causing issues with my gastroparesis and it seems to be fructose related.

See you tomorrow for Day 1 (again)!

Doing better Day 1 and 2. Not going to write my menus for the past couple of days since I was on track. I even taught Panera a thing or two since they didn't know what was on their hidden menu and it took 3 times for them to get my order right.

Archived