Swollen Eyelids

My husband and I are both following the Whole30 program. He has had very weird swollen eyelids for the last couple of days. I was concerned, and told him he should go and see a doctor. I woke up this morning with the same issue. Could this be from the diet? I'm just wondering if we are doing something wrong, or if anyone else on the program has experienced this. HELP! =)

I've never heard of this sorry. It does sound like it might possibly be some kind of allergic reaction or irritant but whether it's to food or something else, like washing powder, air freshener or something else, I couldn't even begin to guess. However, I reckon your eyes are not something to take chances with, so I agree with you about seeing a doctor.

Swollen eyelids -- that's how I react to allergies in fruit peel. Swollen lips too. My sensitivities are to mango and to some citrus (haven't figured out which citrus).

What I do is: peel it, put the fruit on a plate, go wash my hands and the knife with soapy water before eating the fruit.

With mango it showed up the second time I ate it. The first time I tried it, I thought it was the most delectable fruit I'd ever eaten. Friends suggested going in together on a case of mangoes. I was all for it. Ate to my heart's content. Woke up the next morning and could barely open my eyes.

With citrus, I never eat a huge quantity like that. I just feel an itch to the skin around my eyes.

With both, I will also get a chapped feeling to my lips, and if I eat any real quantity then the lips will swell too.

Is there any food that you're eating for the first time (or eating a lot more of than you used to eat)?

That's just my experience. I agree with Kirsteen, do get yourself seen by a doctor to be sure you're OK.

Terez

Eyelid swelling. I have been in a battle with my eyelids for over a year. My eyelids swell up and I look like Sloth from the Goonies when I drink dark beer. Seeing that bark beer is not whole30, I doubt this is your problem. I have also been getting styes, and I am pretty sure it was the gluten/wheat causing that. What are you consistently eating more of? Coconut? With me the swelling is usually when I continue to ingest something on a fairly regular basis and it builds up in my system... I do find it very odd that you both have this going on, as this is the first time I have EVER heard of anyone else having swollen eyelids, that is not associated with a bee sting. Good Luck!

I agree, it sounds like an allergic reaction to something you are eating. Are there any new foods that you've added to your diet?

I would recommend checking in with a medical professional, but when I was reading through info on the GAPS diet recently (working on healing GERD for me) they recommend putting a bit of the suspected allergic food on the inside of your wrist and sleeping with it there the whole night to determine if you have an allergy. http://gapsdiet.com/INTRODUCTION_DIET.html

Archived