Introduction and Diary for the next 30 days

DebLang

Hi All, my name is Deb. I am a happy grandmother of two beautiful babies. I never expected that my grandson (now 32 months) would ever make his way into this world, but, my daughter settled down, and is now a grrreat Mom to her two children. I had a heart attack 4 years ago, and vowing I would never have another one, as statistics say living a certain lifestyle will get you another one in 5 years...not me. My cholesterol levels are now at DESIRED levels, because of my exercise and better way of eating. I am doing the C25K challenge, wanting to participate in a 1/2 marathon later this year sometime.

A friend of mine interested me in Whole30. I've been on another site called MFP, and have had a lot of success there. I am *almost* at goal weight, and I sabotage myself so near goal ...pretty much all the time. THis time it isn't so bad. The last time I gained weight, I was happy to see I was still lower in weight from the last weight gain so near goal. I decided to give WHOLE30 a try for the accountability. Last year I went on a processed sugar free challenge, and did well, but I am an admitted Sugarholic sooo when I think I can eat a dessert, I pay for it in that my cravings get out of hand. Another thing that has saved me is "No Late Night Snacking"...I lost weight not eating after 8pm within the last 4 months.

That's me in a nutshell. I am 62 and because of my heart attack, I am living the best I can. I *want* to live til at LEAST 90 to see my grandchildren grow and enjoy their lives. My husband has no problem with his genetics, though he will be a participant in my Whole30 way of eating...and that is great :)

Day 1 - I had 4 prunes, 2 eggs fried with Pam, and 1/2 an avocado, for breakfast. I had some mixed nuts for a snack, and will soon have an apple. Tonight for dinner, I will have skinless KFC...but unlike yesterday when I had gravy and mash potatoes, and a scrumptious biscuit...I will have a spinach salad. I plan on drinking my 8 PLUS glasses of water..I have a tumbler that will allow me to drink 3 glasses of water at a time.

Nice meeting everyone. I will log my Day 2 tomorrow. I *do* need to get some shopping done however. I see some great recipes that I want to try :)

Have a WONDERFUL evening :)

Deb

Hi Deb, welcome and what great goals you have. It's great that your husband is on board with you, that's bound to make it easier. Hope you don't mind me saying, but are you sure you're eating enough food. I don't know if you've had time to read the book yet which obviously explains everything in a lot more detail but you might find the meal template helpful

http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

also if you go to this page http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/

and scroll down, there's a lot of free downloads that are very helpful.

Let us know what recipies you're trying (I'm always on the lookout for new ones :) ) and how they turn out. good luck.

Thanks Kirsteen, I will be ordering the book...and thanks for all the other references :D As for eating enough...I average 1200-1400 calories...which includes exercise calories. I really appreciate the hello. Today my calories totaled: 1233. I had what is called a California omelette with bacon, avocado, tomatoes, cheese and of course eggs. I know the guidelines say stay away from bacon, but I had it. Does that void my Whole 30 program where I need to start over? I was busy until 3:00pm or soo...and ate a Togo's salad consisting of chicken, avocado and assorted veggies. I was full. Anyway, thanks for saying HI! Going to sleep now (it is 10pm San Francisco Bay Area time. I appreciate your input. ;)

Day 3 (but now that I have eaten cheese YESTERDAY)...I am not sure if I have to start over. If someone can tell me, I would appreciate it. My menu today was lunch: salmon, miso soup, salad, dinner: hawaiian style boneless chicken and shredded cabbage. I was extremely busy all day, and did not want to eat carbs which would have been the grains.

Hi Deb, Yes cheese is definitely a no go on a W30. As far as bacon goes, I'm lucky here in the UK I can get compliant bacon, just meat, salt and nitrates. However I know in many places that's not possible as most bacon has sugar in the cure. It really is a question of reading labels minutely. Even if you find compliant bacon it's not the best source of protein si is best kept as a flavouring rather than the main source of protein at a meal. Unfortunately also the miso soup is soy and that's another definite no go area on a W30.

I have to also add that on a W30 we definitely don't count calories, fat or carbs, we just stick to the meal template. The W30 program is designed to nourish your body, feed it good healthy food, cut out the crap and let your body get on with being the best it can be. It's also designed to sort out any relationship issues with food, let your gut heal, get your hormones working optimally and really teach you to listen to your body. It's not a low calorie, low carb or low fat way of eating.The W30 really is so much more than just a list of allowed and forbidden foods. It'a a whole synergistic program with each bit designed to work with the rest.

I know it can be daunting giving up habits we've been used to, like weighing, measuring food and calorie counting, especially when we've been doing it for health reasons. I've never had a heart attack but, after a radical mastectomy, I only finished cancer treatment last October so, believe me, I really understand wanting to be as healthy as you can be. The W30 can seem radical but I truly believe it works. However just taking the foods and trying to fit them into some other plan isn't going to give the same results. I'd really suggest rereading the meal template, look at how much food you should be eating and aim for that 3 times a day. Good luck

Thank you for SUCH a detailed answer, Kirsteen. I want to do the program RIGHT. I will review and start my journey again. Meanwhile, I am reading my daily emails to get me through. :) I feel fortunate to NOT be going through withdrawals, as having taken a processed sugar free challenge last year, I know I can do this. Why I was attracted was my I would submit to my craving for junk food. This 2013, my cholesterol levels are at DESIRED levels, for which I am HAPPY,...I just want to keep them that way ;) THIS challenge *is* much more then what I went through last year...and I am definitely up for it when I can get it right. THANKS again... :D

Deb

Yesterday's meal consisted of 4 pitted prunes and an small medium red delicious apple. I was out and about, and stopped in at Subway to get their Chopped Chicken salad. It comprised of chopped lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and plain roasted chicken with no dressing...not even vinegar and oil. For dinner, I again had roasted chicken and cherry tomatoes. I order the book "It starts with Food"...and am looking forward to reading it. Today, so far, my meals have consisted of 4 pitted prunes, a small medium red delicious apple, a palm of non salted mixed nuts, cherry tomatoes, and a hardboiled egg. I plan (and have all the ingredients) for a spinach salad, comprising of roasted breast, tomatoes, avocado, tbspn of oil and vinegar, and a hard boiled egg. For dinner, I will have 2 bison hamburgers, and another spinach salad with carrots and brocolli. I have been satisfied. I have learned a lot in the few days of doing Whole30. I will continue to eat this way, until I get the book, and read how to do the program properly. Meanwhile, I am continuing to stay away from grains.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Deb, Just wanted to say hi and let you know that I too use MFP. I am on day 15 with my husband. Don't get nervous if you continue to log your food there and occasionally get the message of too few calories. I determined just to ignore that knowing that I am eating clean, whole, nutritious food and I do not feel like I am ever going hungry.

The book is fascinating - keep reading. You can do this Whole30!

Archived