"Worth It" & "Not Worth It" lists!

I just completed my second Whole30 on Wednesday. My first Whole30 was a mediocre experience and I didn't really make any lasting changes. This time has been different, very different. A note, I didn't do the reintroduction because I already know what I shouldn't be eating...

First, my husband and I went to our favorite dessert place in town the other night. I looked around and thought "huh, I could take it or leave it. I'm not stoked for anything." I know that Dallas and Melissa might say, "Then, don't get anything," but I had decided that I wanted to experiment with off-roading. I decided to get a tiny scoop of Coconut Bliss. It was delicious! I felt fine and I was mentally good to go (previously I probably would have obsessed about getting more or planning the next time we went). I was content with my kids scoop if dairy-free, creamy good-ness! "Worth it!"

Tonight, we went for pizza. Again, I was feeling the "take it or leave it" indifference. And again, I wanted to test the water. We ordered a gluten-free margarita pizza. About a half slice in, I realized it really wasn't tasting as spectacular as I hoped. I finished the piece and nibbled some other food. Afterwards, I came down with a headache and I felt a bit queasy. I have decided pizza is "not worth it!" Meatza with cheese might be a different story!

Overall, I'm really excited and pleased with myself that I am now able to identify foods that are worth, or not worth, eating off-plan. Six months ago, this wasn't even a thought.

How about you? Do you have any foods that are definitely "worth it" or "not worth it"?

Cool! Anything made with or from coffee is on my not worth it list. Even decaf. I know that coffee and caffeine are totally fine on Whole30, but they're not fine for me, at all, even a teeny bit.

This is a shame, because I do so enjoy the taste of fancy coffee drinks. But I pay for it dearly for about 48 hours afterwards, and the associated cravings are really unpleasant.

Ashley, I had such a similar experience! Pizza doesn't do anything for me! My boyfriend brought home an eggplant, tomato, basil, garlic pizza a while back and I didn't have one piece. It smelled really good, but I was content with eating my chili over broccoli and sweet potato.

More recently, we went to our favorite Mexican food place. Eating their fajitas (which are compliant) with their homemade tortillas (obviously not compliant), that, to me, is worth it. The ice cream my boyfriend got afterwards, ehhhh. I could take or leave it. Knowing that it makes my stomach hurt, I'm going to go with leave it. However, I just looked up this Coconut Bliss you speak of and I am very intrigued!!

I love dark chocolate but I can't keep it in the house because I eat too much. But these pre-packaged dark chocolate Coconut Bliss bars might be worth a try.

I love this thread!

So far:

Worth it--chocolate. I don't like dark chocolate, unfortunately, but can eat milk in moderation with no side effects without wakening my Sugar Dragon

NOT worth it--Wine :( Maybe any alcohol? Corn tortilla chips aren't worth it either, I've discovered. I feel like I have a brick in my stomach after eating them. They're so good with guac, this makes me sad...maybe homemade sweet potato chips are in order.

I'm undecided on cheese. I'm happy enough leaving it out most of the time, but might be worth the mild headache every once in a while on a special occasion.

Interesting - pizza in any form is food without brakes for me. I can't even contemplate making a "meatza" from Well Fed or anywhere else. It's just one of those things that would set off a really bad chain reaction for me. I know that, say, blueberry muffins (just to pick one baked item) are not allowed on Whole30; but I could much more easily eat a blueberry muffin made of (technically) compliant ingredients than I could eat a pizza-like item. (Note: I don't eat either one. Heh.)

Chocolate and coffee and sugar and dairy go together for me. This is the one that makes me sad. I hope I get over the cravings and loving the taste so much one day. Because it's five minutes of awesome and 48 hours of awful.

My worth it items are typically associated with experiences. My challenge is to determine if those experiences are enhanced with the foods or not. I can make donuts for my family and friends and they don't care if I eat them or not. My granddaughter loves sharing food with me. I don't need popcorn, except when she plops it into my mouth lol I see her about 4 times a year, and she's just about to turn 3. As she gets older, this won't be a big issue. Although I will forever feel it is worth it to eat ice cream for breakfast with her every once in awhile. Those memories are totally worth it. I have a few other things like that, not just with her. But these are the things I struggle with most.... I'm not sure if that classifies me as a true emotional eater or what, but there are still things I'm not willing to give up!

Worth it! Chocolate, bread, goat cheese, goat yogurt, peanut butter and peanuts, lentils, oatmeal, brown rice, edamame, smoothies, not sweating the little things at restaurants

Not Worth it! Quinoa, booze, white potatoes, cold cereal, chips, cheap baked goods, tortillas, sprouted grain products, SWYPO foods, anything labelled "gluten free", fast food, honey

These are great! Thank you for adding all of your ideas to the lists!

I'm not sure if that classifies me as a true emotional eater or what, but there are still things I'm not willing to give up!

I believe this doesn't count as "emotional eating." I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in ISWF that this isn't emotional eating. I think it's totally legitamate!

I love dark chocolate but I can't keep it in the house because I eat too much. But these pre-packaged dark chocolate Coconut Bliss bars might be worth a try.

Coconut Bliss is awesome! I'm not a lover of agave, but I give for this. I'm also partial to Coconut Bliss because it's made a couple blocks from my house :)

Finally, many of you said chocolate is worth it. I agree! My first piece of chocolate after my Whole30 was 99% (without soy lecthin!) Dark from World Market. Maybe I thought it was great since I hadn't eaten chocolate for 30 days.

Thanks again for all of your replies!

Not worth it..... Anything I don't cook myself or from a trusted restaurant

At the Super Bowl block party earlier tonight and the neighbors do a Brazilian grill.... Get all the beef from the Brazilian butcher( supposed to be hormone free/ grass fed).... I watched him unwrap the steaks from butcher paper and sprinkle just a touch of kosher salt and grill them over a HOT wood coals.... Got about three small " test the waters " bites in and my stomach was doing flip flops so I called it quits.

Not sure if there were remnants of something else on the grill but that sucker was blazing, had to be burned off..... There has been a stomach bug going around so maybe it's in my head, but I'm paranoid someone snuck in something, somewhere .... I still feel yuck. Could just be I hardly ever eat red meat anymore?

I ended my first (very successful) Whole30 with a long-awaited dirty martini. Just one. Just perfect. Totally worth it.

Not worth it - dairy in any form, sugar. I am clearly lactose sensitive (at the very least), and I can't think of a good reason to eat sugar (that includes chocolate of any kind - also brutal on my stomach). I love not craving it, and I enjoy the sweetness I can taste in veggies and the occasional fruit (bananas!).

Back on the wagon today, and very happy about it!

I love this thread!

So far:

Worth it--chocolate. I don't like dark chocolate, unfortunately, but can eat milk in moderation with no side effects without wakening my Sugar Dragon

NOT worth it--Wine :( Maybe any alcohol? Corn tortilla chips aren't worth it either, I've discovered. I feel like I have a brick in my stomach after eating them. They're so good with guac, this makes me sad...maybe homemade sweet potato chips are in order.

I'm undecided on cheese. I'm happy enough leaving it out most of the time, but might be worth the mild headache every once in a while on a special occasion.

Still working through some reintroductions, but I'm discovering after this W30 and being very on target that my body reacts horribly to wine (red) and possibly all alcohol. Makes me sad... I may test this again in a few days but after a weekend where I felt I couldn't go far from the house, it won't be for a little while! If misery loves company, I must say I'm somewhat pleased to see someone else in this boat...

Red wine is often high in sulfites and/or tannins, so that might be the sensitivity.

For me, worth its include:

Some dairy (like, cheese from a super fancy cheese tray at a restaurant? yes), occasional mexican food that involves corn (but only out of the house, not at home), chocolate, paleo treats, occasional truly "special" desserts (ie, ice cream from the place that makes it locally, but not ice cream from the 7-11), 1-2 drinks a few times a month, occasional rice noodles for Thai food purposes, occasional black beans from the Cuban restaurant (when I say occasional, I mean max out once a month on these things).

Not worth it: Anything with gluten that isn't just awe-inspiring (ie, I might try part of an artisinal roll or something if I'm somewhere known for that, but I'm not going to get a sandwich when I'd rather just have the sandwich contents), peanuts, soy anything that isn't soy sauce, packaged sweets (if I'm going to eat a cookie, I want something worth writing a love letter to), milk

Worth it :

Dark chocolate with sea salt (my favorite)

Gin and Tonic after a really hot day ( which is everyday lately in Australia, though no G&T's cos I'm whole 30-ing)

Special soft goat's cheese from our local farmer's market

Not worth it:

Anything with grain in it,including gluten free, it feels "heavy" afterwards

Baked goods with sugar in them (like gluten free cake) I always get bloated, yuk!

Champagne - I just love it, but I always have an eczema break out from it. Definitely not worth it.

Dairy - I love it - but I love it too much and it isn't good for me -I feel sick and bloated.

Worth it:

Dark chocolate with sea salt. Just a little bit.

Goat cheese, just a little bit.

Not worth it:

Chips in any form made from anything...just a plain trigger to keep eating

Baked things

Pizza

A calm gut is so worth the effort.

I've just started a little list of my own, although I've really not been reintroducing much of anything to my daily life. Especially since the weather just triggered a major fibromyalgia flare-- darn Missouri winter/spring. Worth it so far: gluten free pizza from a local shop, paleo chocolate (although I should really cut back, thanks a lot Trader Joe's) and a few bites of movie popcorn (okay, about half a bag) Not worth it: the single hot tamale candy I had just now, it was disgusting and way too sweet. I want the flavor gone; also anything soy related, my body does horrible things on soy, and it is gross and hurts, same with vegetable oils. Good thing is those things can be avoided and are generally horrible in all ways.

Something I really need to consider now, what I am putting on my skin and hair in the way of products. I'm vain but vain enough to be absorbing nastiness through my skin?

• 3 weeks later...

NOT worth it:

1) Ice cream :( wah, wah, wah! I love ice cream-but not anymore. I'm giving it up for good. Just not worth it.

2) Bread-I do love a good, warm, crusty bread to dip into olive oil, but will save it for very special occasions from now on.

3) Pasta-same as above-just doesn't do it for me anymore!

4) Alcohol-do we even need to go into the reasons why this is not worth it anymore? I do love a good martini, but again, will save them for occasional, special events. I don't think the alcohol itself is what makes me feel yukky the next day-I think it's the poor food choices I make after the alcohol that make me feel lousy! Might have to experiment and see if I can enjoy a martini and NOT eat off-road as well to see if this is true...

WORTH IT:

1) cheese-it doesn't bother me the way that ice cream does, so I'm ok with adding a little parmesan or mozzarella to my antipasto plate occasionally.

And that's about it. When we did our first whole30 in July, I couldn't wait to add everything back in, but when we did, I found that NONE of it really thrilled me anymore! So, why mess with it? Starting a new whole30 on March 2nd and looking forward to feeling awesome again.

Worth it: sampling our homemade wines that have to age for years anyways

Not worth it: any other wine or alcohol that I can think of currently

Worth it: sampling handmade traditional foods while traveling abroad, like pasta in Italy (someday I will!)

Not worth it: any grain available on domestic soil

Worth it: handcrafted goat cheese from a herd I have some familiarity with- my own future herd, or friend's that raise them on grass

Not worth it: commercially made cheeses of any sort.

Worth it: Nova Monda Beyond Fair Trade Jar "moon chocolate" which has the Chinese herbs "free and easy wanderer" added to ease discomfort at a lady's moon cycle

Not worth it: chocolate bars

I have learned already in this process that I am the guardian of my good health and that food is nourishment- but some foods have such history, craftsmanship, and love put in them as to override any potential downside.

Archived