Peace of mind....

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I wanted to share it. I'm reading a book entitled "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Persig. It's very interesting and filled with nuggets of wisdom and truth. I thought I would share this one, in case it's helpful to anyone else. I found it to be very enlightening. A little deep, but when you think about it, it's certainly true of many areas of life. The book is about a man who takes his son across the country on a motorcycle trip, and he's working out a lot of his own demons as well as his son's along the way. Anyway, here is the piece that I wanted to share.

"Peace of mind isn't at all superficial, really," I expound. "It's the whole thing. That which produces it is good maintenance; that which disturbs it is poor maintenance. What we call workability of the machine is just an objectification of this peace of mind. The ultimate test's always your own serenity. If you don't have this when you start and maintain it while you're working you're more likely to build your personal problems right into the machine itself"

Archived