Dairy Re-Introduction Disaster

ar1zona1

Completed my Whole30 last week and started following the reintroduction guide in the book. First up Dairy,

Friday I had a little sharp cheddar cheese on a burger lettuce wrap. Tasted OK and no real reactions right away.

Friday night we went for frozen yogurt, which we used to do on a regular basis. Boy that was a mistake. Almost immediately i was getting stomach cramps and not feeling great. Seemed to go away after an hour or so. And then each meal I have eaten since my stomach bothered me a little. This morning I'm suffering the end results of "garbage in - garbage out".

So I wondered over to their website to see what was really in the frozen yogurt and this is what I found:

Vanilla (GF)

Non-Fat Milk, Maltodextrin, Polydextrose, Xylitol, Non Fat Dry Milk, Cultured Skim Milk, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Natural and Artificial

Vanilla Flavor, Sucralose , Acesulfame Potassium (Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactose). Contains: Milk, Soy.

Chocolate (GF)

Non-Fat Milk, Maltodextrin, Polydextrose, Xylitol, Non Fat Dry Milk, Cocoa Powder (processed with Alkali) , Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum,

Sucralose ,Acesulfame Potassium (Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium

lactis, Lactose). Contains: Milk, Soy.

I'm guessing the Xylitol is what probably did me in.

So for now I'm giving it a few more days or maybe until next weekend before I take the next step. I'm thinking dairy reintroduction for me should be much smaller steps, say cheese only for couple of meals and wait and see. When it comes to the cold stuff I think i'll stick with good old Breyers vanilla which is straight milk and sugar to see how I handle that.

• Moderators

Xylitol is not my first vote for a trouble maker out of the variety of ingredients in the frozen "yogurt." The problem ingredient is not obvious to me, but I am amazed at what is in what could have been a simple product. I agree that the Breyers sounds safer.

Frozen yogurt has always done a number on me, especially after I went paleo. I was so confused as to why and then I looked at the website for one of those places...holy crapola! Now I hate taking my kids there, but they love the rare treat so much. I wish we could trust something that seems so simple as frozen "yogurt"!

I was shocked too at the number of additives in frozen yogurt - for my dairy reintroduction, I ended up going with haagen dazs ice cream, since it was "cleaner" than any frozen yogurt I could find (milk, eggs, sugar, strawberries, and something else I forget, but a real ingredient)

Compliant since last Friday to get my system back into shape. Today I tried cheese only as a limited dairy introduction. It's not been even an hour and I already feel the effects. A little bloating and that over-ate feeling, which I have not had at all during the whole30.

2 strikes and dairy is out. Not worth it.

Archived