Fitter Firefighter

Farback

Well, I made it with no slips. I had a nice single malt scotch last night to celebrate. Back to a fruit, egg, and coconut milk smoothie for breakfast and packed my raw veggies for lunch. Looks like the lifestyle changes are sticking.

I'm in better shape than I've been since I competed in the Firefighter Combat Challenge in 2006. I've dropped 16 pounds, and feel fantastic. I happened to have a physical just before starting, and my BP and blood sugar levels were slightly higher than my doctor was happy with. He also told me to loose the belly. (By the way, I'm glad I didn't stay up late studying for that prostate exam. It was NOT what I expected) A few weeks later I went back with second blood work, back in the healthy zone on BP and sugars, and 10 pounds lighter by then. He was as impressed as I was.

Anyway, thanks to all for the encouragement through this process, and good luck to anyone beginning. It's a great program. You can make some great life changes in 30 days, and establish healthy patterns for the rest of your life.

Kirk

• 2 weeks later...

This is our Relay for Life Team. We raised over $5000 in memory of one of our firefighters who died of cancer ealier this year. I'm the old Captain on the left. I ate Paleo all night (12 hours of walking, I did at least 4 hours and could have walked all night). The kids had lots of snacks, but I stuck to nuts and veggies. This was a great tribute to our fallen friend, and we'll be making this an anual effort.

545160_10151871698680553_1900068932_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

33 days post Whole30. Still 100% paleo. The only thing I've re-introduced is alcohol. Mostly red wine, lost my taste for beer. I've lost more weight, lots of energy and lots of exercise. Feeling fantastic. Damn pants are loose though...

• 2 months later...

Coming up on the five month mark since I started the Paleo lifestyle. No slip-backs into old habits. I've taken off 30 pounds and I'm fitter than I've been in decades. Down 4 inches on my waist. I run a 5K every couple days. Did a 10K Friday night, farthest I can ever remember running. Daily exercises from MDA, Mark Sisson's books and site.

I'm the fire chief now, so I'm busy with my regular job and managing a fire department on top of that, but sticking with clean living and daily exercise. This has turned my life around.

Kirk

• 2 years later...

Archived