Surprised by what I learned! ...and the slippery slope of sweets.

kaybee

My whole30 wrapped up on Thursday, and I realized, as I looked back, that the things I thought I could never live without -- cheese, pasta, bread, peanut butter, wine -- we're not the things I missed. My only cravings were for sweets! I never considered myself a sweets person before. Since the end, I had oatmeal one morning, and pretty much a glass of wine (small) each night, which I nursed so long there was hardly any effect, and, I've fallen back to my old habit of hot chocolate with almond milk. I love this! Granted, I'm using half unsweetened cocoa now, but still...I feel myself slipping down the slippery slope. For the past two days I've told myself I could have one or the other each day, wine or cocoa, but not both. Yet, I've had both. Today I ate a donut muffin, something I had been craving relentlessly (we make them at my restaurant, so I see them multiple times a day) and it was pretty good but not as great as I expected. It's the first wheat I've had, so we'll see what happens. But I'm starting to feel the old bloat creeping back, could this be just from the sugar? Will my body lose the ability to burn fat and revert to using sugar if I keep eating it? Otherwise my meals have remained compliant: protein, veggies, fat. I don't want to undo all my hard work, and lose the fantastic feeling.

Congrats on your whole 30, and for learning some things! Learning is good!

Don't forget that even if you don't react to these foods, they still aren't healthy, and they could crowd out healthy, nutrient dense foods. I know I forget that part when I do reintroduction and then suddenly my daily plate doesn't look like it should....

Good luck!

I've just ordered some Crio Bru from Amazon after reading another post about it. It's roasted cocoa beans that you brew like coffee. Worried it might be kind of bitter, but I'm going to check it out!

Crio Bru is like coffee made from cocoa beans instead of coffee beans. You have to steep it for 15 minutes to get the full flavor (I use a french press). It is an acquired taste but not all that hard to acquire if you are missing chocolate on Whole30 :) I now have a five pound bag of it in my fridge. I like the Maracaibo and Coca River flavors best, they have more of the fruity and chocolatey notes of the cocoa and less of the bitter/acidic.

I just got some of the Crio Bru last week after reading about it on here, and I love it. It's more robust than tea (which is my usual go-to), but milder than coffee, and it definitely scratches my chocolate itch without sending me off the rails in any way.

Archived