Back to try Again

Gonzosan

Hello everyone, I tried to do the Whole30 a while back while I was deployed to Kuwait. It was too difficult to keep Whole30 complaint and not lose my sanity out there so I decided to stop doing it and do what I can while I was out there. So I'm back yet again and I'm determined to get through this and to finally kill off my bad habits and clean up my diet for good. So I will be starting my Whole30 tomorrow and I will create a video journal which I will upload at the end of my thirty days. I do expect to lose some weight and hopefully some inches as well as my diet has not been great the past few months. I came back from my deployment and enjoyed the foods I didn't have when I was out there, way too many times. So I know I will see some noticeable improvements, but most of all I want to have a better relationship with food. I see myself making progress in all areas of my life, but when it comes to my health I tend to put it low on my priorities list.

I want to feel in control of what I eat and how much I eat and more importantly I want to look and feel healthy. So this will definitely reset me and give me the life I want to have again. I will document my progress online and update it on a regular basis (not everyday). So here's to a new me!

Well I woke up this morning and measured my waist which seems to be disappointing. For some reason this morning I'm feeling bloated more so than usual even though I didn't eat anything that had gluten. So seeing my waist size was pretty depressing, but none the less it's where I'm starting out at and it's a reminder that I definitely want to change.

Well the past few days have been rough and I fell off the wagon. Bad I know, but I think the biggest problem I had is that I went in unprepared. I realized that the best way to make sure I stay on track is to document everything online to keep myself accountable. So starting today on until I reach my goal I will update this journal daily. I'll post the food I've eaten and workouts I've completed.

This is the hardest habit for me to form/break as I'm used to eating out, just about every time and I use food as a healer, celebration and everything in between. So I know I need to reset myself even more so and really do everything I can to get through this. I make this harder on myself by thinking too much so I'll take it a day at a time and get through it. I was reading a post by Leo Babauta talking about him quitting smoking and how the first two days are the hardest, then comes "hell week" then "heck week". I thought that was a pretty good analogy.

So I'm about to go workout, I'm doing Insanity and I'm actually starting to get better at keeping up. Afterwards I'll either cook up a ribeye I have in the fridge or just drink an egg white berry shake that I make myself.

So this morning I had a pretty good workout, it was more of a "relax" day with Insanity since it was Cardio Recovery but it still gets you going. Afterward I had a ribeye steak and a berry shake. So I learned a few things this morning. One is, I don't get that hungry in the morning even after a tough Insanity workout. Two, I'm not as into red meat as I think I am. I wasn't really craving the ribeye, I'm more of a chicken and sometimes pork kind of guy. I think I could eat chicken for just about every meal and be content.

I'm lazy and I don't really like cooking so I forsee myself just making quick things that I can eat. I think during the mornings I'll just make a blended shake as usual and cook in the evenings when I actually feel like cooking. As much as I try to become a really good cook, I just end up not doing it. So I need to learn how to cook good food fast with minimal pain.

Right now for lunch I'm having another shake, I'm a bit hungry but not hungry enough to cook anything. I'm also thinking of making batches of finger foods like deviled eggs or something similar that I can quickly make and have some good Whole30 foods around to eat.

Good to see you posting here, Gonzo.

Hate to break this to you but shakes and smoothies aren't part of the Whole30 meal template.

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Some of us have found it helpful to double up on what we're cooking, as a way of ensuring we have leftovers for breakfast and lunch.

I also found that tuna and compliant vegetables + dressing (homemade mayo thinned with vinegar) makes for an easy meal. If you don't like tuna, this is excellent with leftover chicken.

If you don't want to make homemade dressing, most of the line of Tessemae's dressings are compliant (available at some Whole Foods).

Just offering some ideas.

Terez

Well that's a bummer, well I'll have to find something that will work for me. On that note today I did fairly well, but I think i want to focus on eating whole foods to start. I know that may mean I won't be doing a Whole30 for now but it'll really help me clean up my diet. I still want to use this log to detail everything and keep my progress going that way I don't end up just giving up entirely.

Well actually that day I had some steak and grilled shrimp. I'm usually not big into red meat, but I had been eating so little throughout the day that I devoured my meal that night. I had some sweet potato, grilled shrimp (about 8 pieces) and a steak with some steamed broccoli. I'm going to start the Whole30 over again on Sunday. I even signed up for the "Daily Whole30" to get me going. I will track everything, but mostly do it offline (and through video). I have some tracking sheets that will help me track my inches around different parts of my body and I will also buy a pocket notebook just to write down all the food I've eaten throughout the day. Not tracking macros or anything, just to keep a habit of tracking everything I've eaten and being more conscious of it all. I also have my fitness tracker for Insanity which I will continue to do.

I measured myself a few days ago and I'm down nearly half an inch on my waist, but I believe when I took my first measurement I was pretty bloated from the day before. I'm also thinking about getting a body fat measurement, I had one done nearly a year ago that was pretty good and it was fairly cheap to get done.

So I'm preparing myself much better this time around so that I can finally do this. I'm sure it'll be rough nonetheless but this is the one habit that I've always wanted to change but had the hardest time with.

Archived