Homemade Kombucha Causing Issues?

RevKT

So, I finished my January Whole30 and was a bit disappointed that some of my stomach issues, like pain and bloating, still remained. I thought I needed to try more food elimination but then this weekend, the pain stopped. That was, until today after I had some of our homemade kombucha. I had already suspected the kombucha because I would get the pain in the evenings after we usually had kombucha. I had store bought kombucha over the weekend because ours was not done fermenting and I was fine.

I am wondering if somehow the homemade kombucha could be bothering my stomach and store bought does not. Our homemade was fine when we first started making it but a few weeks into Whole30 it seems I started to have issues. At that time we switched from green tea to black. Could it be Ph levels (we don't check them do we need to?) There is no mold and my son and husband drink it and thy have no trouble.

Any advice or referral to a good kombucha or fermentation forum that might have some insight would be great. Thanks!

I have been drinking home-brewed and store bought Kombucha for years and viewed it as a super duper health tonic. But after going off of gluten for about 6 months I started noticing bloating and cramps any time I ate sugar, including Kombucha. Remember, the Kombucha scoby grows on sugarcane, as well as the yeast may upset a candida overgrowth. Donna Gates of The Body Ecology Diet just posted an article about it on her website a couple weeks ago (google it). As someone with a lot of food sensitivities I have just learned what irritates my gut and avoid it no matter what health benefits it has for others.

• 3 months later...

Just found this after searching on this subject. I have been drinking store bought kombucha for a while and not having any issues. I've had stomach issues for a few days now and I'm wondering if it's the homemade kombucha I just got. Anyone react differently to homemade vs store bought? I suppose I just have to stop drinking it and see if the stomach issues go away and then try it again and see if they come back. So sad!

Archived