Nila's Whole60

Nila

I've thought of you quite often so I'm glad 30Canandaigua reached out to you. I had thought of doing the same as I noticed your absence.

You know - step back for a minute. Of ALL the Whole30 January 1 starters, you are the only person I am aware of who has consistently logged food/emotions and stuck with darn near perfect adherence for just short of TWO MONTHS! I think you have much to be proud of. By your posts, you seem to have learned a lot about your relationship with food and your body's ability to process foods that nourish you.

Way to go! I think you're awesome! Keep learning and living....that's my two cents!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lindsey and Ruth (may I call you Ruth?), thank you so much for, well, being there. It means a lot to me. It felt good to "talk" to someone about this stuff going on in my head. There's no one in my immediate circle who remotely gets this stuff. I cannot thank you both enough for the pep talk...and for watching out for me.

30Canandaigua said: "I personally would take some time to reflect, relax & then continue with this adventure, or a different one." And Run4fun said: "You know - step back for a minute... Keep learning and living." Sound advice from both of you. What wise women you both are.

I'm sure if we all lived close enough to get together we'd gave a very, very good time.

I liked your post because it really resembles a place I am in...

First I must say that if I had to do public speaking I would have a melt down of epic proportions. I envy anyone who can stand up in front of their peers and not pee their pants, pass out, vomit or all three (that's me!) Feeling insecure is normal; the fact that you can accomplish the task is awesome!

Last week was my cycle week, and I straight up told my husband that I might return home without my job. He gave me a sideways glance like a deer in headlights and asked when my period was over. Nuff said.

Your new doctor is lucky she didn't get punched in the throat. IMHO.

A few white potatoes. Meh. You've already completed a W30. At this point you're giving your body more time to heal. I personally would take some time to reflect, relax & then continue with this adventure, or a different one. I said somewhere else that I am planning on doing 2-3 W30 back to back with a week or two off in between. My thought process is that I have been eating poorly for decades, and I can't really expect myself to change my behavior and heal in only 30 days. But over the course of several months, with time inbetween for reflection, I feel that I will be able to create the sustainable change in my life that is needed for me to heal my body... and slay my party animal dragon. At the end of my first W30 I was super excited to get on the "green" side of the fence. I ate chocolate, drank martinis, and felt like shit. I needed that to remind myself of where the grass really is greener, and what my long term goals really are. I needed to feel 'free', and re-group. I only go into this rant because I can relate to how you're feeling, and I don't think you should beat yourself up over 2 potatoes. Or not following the template. Yes I know, the template is the program. But you are human. Period. You are obviously listening to your body, and know in your heart that you have made positive sustainable changes. Where you post, if you choose to, is up to you :) I think you're doing amazing.

xoxo Lindsey

P.s. I am endlessly laughing at your lunch bleating... and dry heaved a few times.

Speaking terrifies me. I spend way too much time preparing and have what can only be likened to an out-of-body experience while I'm doing it. As much as I don't like drugs in general, I took a beta blocker to get me through this last one. I'm an Innie. Totally. INFP. Strong preferences on all 4 dichotomies. All my primal urges to flee kick in during speaking. I don't know why I do it to myself other than 1) I don't exercise the word "no" when I should, 2) I think I should to promote myself and business, and 3) I think it adds credibility to my claimed expertise. There's also a little bit of teacher in me. I love learning and sharing knowledge. I'd just rather do it one at a time over tea. Next to a fireplace. Or an ocean.

The jury is out on this doctor. I'll have the consultation with her and see where we go.

I'm pleased to have offered you the distinct experience of the bleating. Sorry about the heaves, though. :D

I've thought of you quite often so I'm glad 30Canandaigua reached out to you. I had thought of doing the same as I noticed your absence.

You know - step back for a minute. Of ALL the Whole30 January 1 starters, you are the only person I am aware of who has consistently logged food/emotions and stuck with darn near perfect adherence for just short of TWO MONTHS! I think you have much to be proud of. By your posts, you seem to have learned a lot about your relationship with food and your body's ability to process foods that nourish you.

Way to go! I think you're awesome! Keep learning and living....that's my two cents!

Those two cents are worth so much more!

February 27, 2013

Sleep: 7.75 hours; am averaging exactly 8 hours a night for the month.

Eaten, so far:

1. cubed pork cutlet, braised turnips
  2. half pear poached in coconut milk and water with spices; drank the liquid too
  3. broth with carrots, bok choy, onion, coconut aminos; banana (nothing in the way of protein here...need to defrost some things and perhaps hit up a store)

Drink of choice for the day: icea tea - white peony/spearmint/lemongrass/lemon verbena; weak, as usual

I've managed to punch out a project and get through two phone meetings. I still have some writing to do for a pitch.

I have a strong urge to check out of work today and sit in the corner chair reading. It's snowing a bit outside and the house is very quiet. After working and running around so much lately - and looking to do more of the same over the next week or two - I just need a big fat break. I'm going to pour myself into this writing and get it done as quickly as possible so maybe, just maybe I can get that break.

Lately I've been really getting into these short yoga sessions I've been doing daily. It all started months ago as an attempt to help whatever nerve weirdness was going on with my feet. The work did what I wanted it to do. But then I also started noticing other things about my flexibility and overall comfort. For example, sitting at my desk for long hours for a couple of days used to make my lower back hurt horribly and the left side of my neck sort of lock up. That started going away. And the distance I could go in certain poses has extended. I'm fascinated with how certain movements affect specific muscles and muscle groups. I ordered the book Yoga Anatomy to study more. The book showed up yesterday and it sits not 3 feet from me, taunting me with its treasure. It's right on top of the Rodney Yee book, Yoga: The Poetry of the Body, that I picked up years ago. Poetry has been sitting high on my shelf for years now until last night when I plucked it down and went through most of one of the sequences. I'd forgotten how much I like Yee. I'm thrilled to be rediscovering yoga and doing so at this slow pace. Bit by bit.

relig_yoga.jpg

Hope you get a break soon! And good luck with your pitch. Are you in advertising? I'm a book designer now but was in direct mail advertising for years. That yoga anatomy book looks neat. Might need to pick up a copy.

Thank you! Book designer! That sounds great. Really. My son's school is offering a book binding class. I suddenly want to go back to high school. I'm a brand strategist and I have a small brand development and design firm. Actually, I started out as a designer many years ago. On the pitch I'm working as a brand/strategy consultant augmenting a small agency's team for an amazing pitch. It's looking really good for us.

I'm seriously considering blocking off a big chunk of tomorrow or Friday to do what I want to do. I have a blue million things to get done but I fear my productivity is waning. The weekend will offer no relief. We have a photo shoot on Saturday so I'll be on location from 7am until 6pm. That means Sunday will be filled with domesticity...laundry, groceries, cooking, cleaning, taxing kids to rehearsals, etc. And, I have to remember...I need to pack food for the photo shoot. Wheeeee!!!!!!

And the rest of the day (Feb 27)

Eaten:

1. Kit's Organic bar (like a Larabar, but I kind of like them better, at least the flavors I like)
  2. Chorizo, cauliflower, red leaf lettuce, dressing (EVOO, balsamic vinegar, dijon), roasted beets, cinnamon apple sauce (which says no sugar, is locally made, but is as sweet as all get out so I'm wondering if it was mislabeled)

It was the best dinner I've had in a while. I think we've had some real losers lately. And we've eaten out a few times where I've walked away ravenous because the restaurant couldn't make it happen for me. When I have the right stuff and the time, I can make a mean meal. Oh, that reminds me...I'll bet my Green B.E.A.N. Delivery, er, delivery has shown up. Better pull that baby off the front porch so I don't end up with frozen eggs.

I believe I'm up for a vintage X Files episode and a cup of hot tea. Yes. Yes, I am.

Thank you! Book designer! That sounds great. Really. My son's school is offering a book binding class. I suddenly want to go back to high school. I'm a brand strategist and I have a small brand development and design firm. Actually, I started out as a designer many years ago. On the pitch I'm working as a brand/strategy consultant augmenting a small agency's team for an amazing pitch. It's looking really good for us.

Ooh, good luck! Brand strategist, very cool. I love corporate identity work but I don't miss working with clients. I've gotten to know my boss' likes and dislikes so well I hardly have to present anything any more. ;-) Yeah, book designer sounds sexier than it is right now. I do Photoshop/Photography books so we've been doing lots of revisions which gets boring. Developing an app, so that's different, and ebooks soon, so that'll be fun. I wish I could pick out pretty paper and choose binding and neat stuff, but the publisher does all that. I haven't spec'd paper in years. A book binding class would be great. Last time I bound my own book was art school.

Good luck! And, P.S., Love X-Files.

February 28, 2013

Sleep: 7.75 hours

Eaten:

1. Omelet with bacon, jalapeño, tomatoes; avocado slices; greens
  2. Roast pork loin; sweet potato fries
  3. Kit's Organic bar
  4. Green olives
  5. Ground beef stir fried with ghee, onion and garlic; cauliflower; broccoli; blueberries and coconut milk

And February comes to a close.

I ended the month with an average of 7.99 hours of sleep per night. I meditated every day for a total of 6 hours and 3 minutes. I practiced yoga half of the days of the month, most of the time for just 10 minutes of a few poses. That came out to just shy of 3 hours total. Not huge numbers, but a whole lot more than the month before.

I've got some goals in mind for March. I'll post them here in the next few days.

Good night!

March 1

Sleep: 7.75 hours

Eaten:

1. Scrambled eggs in a bit of ghee, bacon
  2. Potato chips :(
  3. Banana bread Larabar
  4. Chicken breast
  5. Pork/turkey sausage, cajun roasted sweet potatoes, beet/red cabbage salad

Not my best day. The bacon had some maple syrup. And you know what...meh. Seriously. It was so freaking sweet and salty. That first bite was all "yes!" and then it was all "what the heck?" So, I'm over bacon. I know. Gasp.

Then I didn't eat anything for many, many hours. I missed "lunch" by working through. Then by the time I was done, I had to leave for a 4 hour round of being in the car running errands. I hadn't prepared anything to take with me. So I ended up eating the damned chips. And again I have to say meh.

Feeling unsatisfied, hungry and beating myself to death over eating crap, I remembered the 911 Larabars in the glovebox. Downed one of those. No. Help. One of my stops a bit later was a quick one at a grocery. I picked up chicken at the deli and ate that in the car. That hit the spot. Still, by this point in the day (5pm) I'd not had the first vegetable. At home I started putting together a proper dinner. By this time I was so full of angst and my body was so confused that I simply overate. And now I feel bloated.

Lessons (re)learned today.

One big lesson is this - going in to my Whole30 I took very seriously the exercise about identifying obstacles and building strategies for them. It appears I need to do that at the beginning of every month until I really get it.

I did a little self-compassion work on the cushion tonight. Tomorrow is another day. I have a photo shoot all day tomorrow. I'm packing decent food for the day. No pizza or whatever other crud they'll have freely lying around. Not for me.

I'd say my March came in like a lion. So it will go out like a lamb, right?

Nila, so great to read your log and see your progress! In the last week I have crashed and burned, so I am getting ready to do another w30, starting Tuesday. Thanks for the motivation and inspiration!

Thank you for the kind words.

I might have to get very serious about another Whole30. I'm mostly there, but mostly isn't enough. I find myself drifting ever so slightly into not so great behaviors. My husband and kids have pointed it out to me too. That's how it starts for me. I eat a potato chip here and a bit of butter there and the next thing I know I'm face first in butter-frosted cake and gallons of mashed potatoes. It could be a day, it could be 2 months. Saying, "oh well, just this once" is so, so dangerous for me. I need firm boundaries, especially since I'm still healing. Got to stay that path.

Will you do a log, dukunbayi? If so, let me know so that I can follow.

Let's see if I can remember today.

Sleep: about 11 hours. No joke. Both my daughter and I have the virus-of-the-month. She has it worse with a fever and the requisite aches and pains. I just have weird-head and fatigue. Since I didn't have to take her to school or go to any appointments, I just slept in until my body decided it was time to get up. And I slept hard. It's not going to keep me up, though. I'm feeling tired now, just 12 hours after waking.

Eaten:

1. Scrambled eggs in ghee with homemade breakfast sausage crumbles, blueberries
  2. A tiny burger patty
  3. Weisswurst, apple, 8 macadamia nuts
  4. Leftover The Best Chicken, roasted sweet potato, roasted cauliflower; banana/coconut milk/cocoa pudding-ish stuff

I definitely lacked for green stuff today.

The discovery of the day was the roasted cauliflower. I tossed it with light olive oil (yep, a no no at that temperature) and a random mixture of spices - black pepper, a little salt, cumin, curry, garam masala - and roasted it at 400 for 50 minutes. I seriously could eat an entire head of cauliflower this way. Next time, I'll melt some ghee.

I'm swinging from coconut oil to ghee. I started getting a wee too keenly aware of the coconut flavor and needed a break. Much to my delight, ghee is no longer grossing me out. I may just swing back and forth. We'll see.

I also noted today that I've used my oven far more since 1/1 than I have...ever. I was always a stove top girl. But I'm getting the knack of roasting things and, next to the slow cooker all day, this may become the easiest thing I do. It's enough time for me to read, catch a show, or listen to a lecture.

Speaking of slow cooker, I'm going to give Tom's slow cooker butter chicken a try. I really want Indian (hence my spice choices on the cauliflower). I'm hoping this will do the trick.

It's supposed to become kind of crappy here starting in the morning. And the kiddo will certainly not go to school again tomorrow. So it's looking like I'm in for another day. I'm perfectly fine with that. I've got lots of people vying for time right now and I'm pushing it all off to give myself some much needed introversion time. I'll come out of it stronger. Besides, I'm sure keeping this virus home is a service to humanity, right?

Hope you are feeling better today - mentally and physically!

My schedule will begin to move toward a normal pace now. I've made the decision to jettison a few low-value projects and activities to lower the stress.

The cold was relatively short-lived. I'd like to credit my Whole9 nutritional approach with making that easier.

And I got a solid 9.5 hours of sleep last night after a very long working Saturday.

All that and it's warm today. :)

I want to move to a post W30 log but haven't been able to yet since I'm posting from my phone.

Due to poor planning and tight scheduling i got caught unprepared. I ate Chinese food about half hour ago. Black pepper chicken and steamed vegetables. It was the best I could think of.No rice or wrapped things, but you know the sauce is loaded with wheat, soy and sugar. Anyway, I just want to note that it feels as if someone just knifed me in the gut. I can feel my eyelid swelling already. And I feel like I need to go to food confessional and have my sins absolved. (I am not and never have been a Catholic. I've just seen a lot of tv and movies.)

Tomorrow is another day, right?

Oh oh....I fear for your next couple of days. Been there. Next time ask for low sodium and no MSGs. Will make a difference I promise. Keep us posted on how you do. It may be rough for up to 48 hours asked on my experience in the past.

Archived