Bill and Eileen’s excellent Whole30 adventure: post-challenge report

EileenRBe

Yes, I keep running out of eggs too. Interesting how they seem to evaporate!

As for the booch: I'm sure I've got some vinegar because I put a scoby and sweet tea in a jar in mid-January and have done nothing with it. Can always start again using the goop from a bottle of commercial kombucha.

Will be interested to hear how your next batch turns out.

Terez

Yesterday I had yogurt at breakfast, Italian cultured butter blendered into my morning coffee, some raw goat milk cheese with lunch, and some more butter coffee this morning. I don't notice any ill effects. And the butter coffee is really good. Next Friday, bread.

Follow-up later in the day: Runny nose. From the dairy? I'm not all that excited about butter, cheese, and milk anyway, so I might just have it very occasionally.

My food processor somehow turned up with a broken part, so I struggled with my mayo today. It failed twice in the blender. Then I tried using my immersion blender in a tall pitcher. That worked, but the blender handle got really hot. Mayo is just a little less stiff than in the food processor but is OK.

Reintro of bread was going to be so focused and systematic. I started the day with a slice of my food co-op's durum semolima sourdough with ghee at breakfast. It was faaaan-tastic. Got busy so had only compliant leftovers for lunch. Then we decided to go out to dinner and I had chicken marsala, risotto, and sauteed veg (and kombucha brought from home). So if I react I won't know what it's to. Felt OK after the bread, had a runny nose tho, and sort of heavy and cravey after dinner.

Conclusions: Bread, maybe worth it. Dinner, a better choice might have been steak, veg and baked sweet potato.

I've been having to throw away flat kombucha (bottled in empty GTs bottles after second ferment). So sad because I used a vanilla bean in 1/2 gallon and it had awesome flavor and was fizzy when bottled. Wondering if the problem could be soap residue in the bottles, so I'm going to try just rinsing them with white vinegar.

Kombucha update: I checked bottles and they DID smell of dish soap. Rinsed them well and tried again and my booch was awe some.

Reintros update and observations: Had a no-meat Reuben (my corned beef was a little old and iffy) two days ago made with homemade sauce, kraut, raw milk jack cheese, and my co-op's swirl rye. Grilled with ghee. Yummy but craved more. Craved. And, this morning my nasal infection and nosebleed were back. Fancy that. So it's most likely the bread causing the nose thing. And Reuben wakes some sort of dragon. The panini dragon maybe.

EileenRBe, I'm finally catching up with your post-W30 adventures! Love your awareness as you reintroduce foods. Interesting point too about the wine--I had a similar experience when I imbibed after a months-long dry spell. Amazing how well the W30 can help us fine tune communication with our bodies and minds.

Have a great day!

Archived