Anxiety and Insomnia

Delphine

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the issue I'm currently having. I've searched the forums but haven't seen anything.

I'm on Day 8 and I've actually seen a huge spike in my anxiety and insomnia. This has happened to me in past periods of strict grain-free and low-sugar diets. For instance, before the holidays I was doing great with my diet but was having anxiety attacks and plenty of 3-4 am wake ups. Around the holidays I started eating garbage again. I felt sluggish and my energy dropped, but my anxiety got way better and I was sleeping somewhat better, too.

The way I see it is this: dairy, sugar and grains dull my underlying anxiety and when they're removed the effect is sharpened, kind of how you suddenly taste and smell better after the Whole 30. I'm not sure what to do about this. I don't currently exercise because of the above mentioned sluggishness, but I intend to start doing some yoga to slow my mind down and hopefully eat up some of that pent-up anxious energy.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it maybe just a detox symptom?

My guess would be it's a detox symptom. I have really terrible anxiety generally (ie, I've been in treatment for it off and on for a decade), and I find it is generally lower on Whole30, in part because I sleep so well. It doesn't go completely away, but it lessens. Working out definitely helps me, even if it's just 20 minutes of Zumba or something (which is what I've been using as my standard). Yoga is great, but full on sweating seems to help me a lot. I usually alternate days, or do 2 days a week of yoga and 4 of cardio-y stuff. I know weight lifting is ideal, but I'm not really in a place for that right now due to some old injuries.

There are a group of us posting under the logs (100 days of awesome whole 100 group). Everybody started on January 1st. If you read through the first week or so of posts, many, many people were feeling the same way. Everybody is now at 30+ days and sleeping much better. Some people who have taken anxiety medication for years have now been able to reduce their meds. Hang in there...the sleep really does get better and your level of anxiety will go down. Many of our posters seemed to see big improvement by the end of week 2. Now at week 4-5 some are reporting sleeping better than ever before. A magnesium supplement like this one will also help with sleep and anxiety.

I know for me, some of the feelings of anxiousness I had were due to not being able to "self-medicate" with wine, sugar, or the like. I actually had to ask myself WHY I was anxious. Before, I would have just poured another glass of wine.

There are a group of us posting under the logs (100 days of awesome whole 100 group). Everybody started on January 1st. If you read through the first week or so of posts, many, many people were feeling the same way. Everybody is now at 30+ days and sleeping much better. Some people who have taken anxiety medication for years have now been able to reduce their meds. Hang in there...the sleep really does get better and your level of anxiety will go down. Many of our posters seemed to see big improvement by the end of week 2. Now at week 4-5 some are reporting sleeping better than ever before. A magnesium supplement like this one will also help with sleep and anxiety.

Awesome, thanks for this. That's really good to hear. I skimmed about half of the thread (there are a lot of posts!) and I do see what you're saying. I'm actually already taking Natural Calm - I love it!

Just wanted to say I'm on Day 10 now and my anxiety is much better. I'm not having insomnia as much as really vivid dreams and I'm tossing and turning a lot. Not so bad though. Now I just wish this fatigue would let up...

Archived