Lulu's autoimmune diary

lulucandoit!

W30 Day 44, AIP 3: Went to bed super early last night and woke up at 4 a.m. I had a big day planned and felt a bit desperate but after 2 hours, I went back to sleep, so I got 7 hours sleep. I feel much better today. Much, much better.

Breakfast: coffee, coconut milk, sardines, avocado.

Lunch: Finished the pot roast, turnips and caros. Also had some stewed shitakes that I forgot I had made a few days ago. There are so many glass containers in my fridge, full of food, that I cannot see anything but the first layer! I need to keep a list on the fridge of what is inside.

Dinner: I made my own sausage tonight with local grass fed pork and lots of herbs, onions and garlic. No seeds, no pepper. It was delicious. I will freeze a lot of it tomorrow - I made 5 lbs! Had it with a big salad of mache and carrots and yakon.

Also: beet kvass, kombucha and fresh tumeric tea

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W30 Day 45, AIP 4: I went on a field trip with my son's band yesterday. I haven't felt well enough to spend a day doing something like that in some years. It was great. I also went for a longish walk with my husband later in the day. So, I am motivated to keep this up while we are on vacation this week. My treat will be lots of fresh seafood.

Meal 1: borscht, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2: sardines, avocado

Meal 3: homemade sausage with sauteed sweet onions and squash. Pink grapefruit.

I made up a bunch of the homemade sausage patties last night, to have instant protein as Nom Nom Paleo calls it. I am going to start doing this. I already feel easier about today, knowing I have easy protein I'll be able to get to.

Lulu, you are an inspiration and doing so well. I am sick of feeling miserable despite eating compliant so I am going to try a modified AIP for my last 21 days.

No nuts, cocoa, tea, coffee, coconut, spicy spices and limited fruit. I wont exclude nightshades (tomatoes/potatoes) or eggs at this stage and I will try not to eat too much of anything and overload my system. I've tried and tried to let my body adjust to whole30 food with no modifications but it just isnt working whether due to intolerances, psychological constraints or both probably. Any way it is only for 21 days, I can do it!

We have been on vacation for the last couple of days and so far, I have done very well. I was going to allow myself to have some non-AIP treats if I felt like it, but so far I haven't felt like it. What has been amazing is how much energy and how much better I feel. For the last four years, I have been so sick on vacation that I have hardly made it to the beach many days. So far I have been to the beach at least twice a day, and gone for longish walks every day that we have been here. I have been able to prepare meals most of the time. Little things that I have not been able to do much in past years.

The only big thing on the food front is that I am now sick of sardines. I ate a can for breakfast yesterday and just had to choke it down. So I will be getting alternate quick protein. I also had a closed handful of cashews yesterday and did not have problems but want to stick to the AIP template.

I keep asking myself - do I want pizza or to continue feeling this much better? The answer, so far, has been the latter.

Just read through your log (as I'm following the AIP protocol myself). What an amazing journey from your early entries to your latest! Congratulations on making such great strides with your health. It's amazing how I'm so grumpy when I have a "bad day" now, but I used to feel that way everyday.... I hope you continue to feel better and to sleep well. :)

Just read through your log (as I'm following the AIP protocol myself). What an amazing journey from your early entries to your latest! Congratulations on making such great strides with your health. It's amazing how I'm so grumpy when I have a "bad day" now, but I used to feel that way everyday.... I hope you continue to feel better and to sleep well. :)

Thank you so much Mary T! I plan to read your journal soon. It really helps to find others doing the AIP protocol. :) I continue to sleep so much better that I can hardly believe it. My new routine at the beach is to fall asleep until somewhere between 2-4 am, then wake for an hour or so, then fall back asleep. I cannot believe I have been able to go back to sleep! Sometimes for 3-4 hours! And I am now falling asleep between 10-11.

I continue to maintain the AIP protocol - I can't believe I am doing this on vacation! Perhaps it's because I am able to eat fresh oysters for breakfast. :lol: My new favorite is a chopped leek, chopped shitakes, chopped zucchini and oysters. Soooooo good. My son has the flu so we have not been able to get out quite as much as we had planned, but still having a great time.

Juzbo, congrats on the no coffee! I am drinking 2 cups a day. That is one thing I am still holding on to, and do not feel bad about at this point. Last night was the fiercest temptation of the week - ordered wood fired pizza for the boys, since my youngest has been sick for almost all of the vacation. I had a rare steak spinach salad and roasted acorn squash and was full. Thought about how sick I would feel the next day if I ate it and focused on the board game we were playing. I did not sleep well last night. I think I only got about 4-5 hours of sleep. However, one bad night's sleep will not kill me and I still feel better overall. We schlepped so much produce and fresh meat down here and have eaten almost all of it up. The only thing I did not like was beet greens. I don't know what was up with those - I will usually eat any kind of green, but these were the most bitter things I have ever tasted. I could not make myself eat more than one helping and threw them out after that dinner. They reminded me of olive leaf extract. :wacko:

Well done on getting through the pizza day... You might need to be extra careful today since you didn't have a good sleep, I have learnt this causes night time cravings for me. I am getting really strong cravings for coffee.. I wouldn't have thought so after 6 days, then again I have often allowed myself one coffee a week before so my mind must be saying, go on.... I can't seem to adjust to just one cup a day without escalating both in cravings for coffee and cravings for other things and increasing irritability... Sigh...

Even decaf is sounding good right now!

Thanks for the heads up juzbo. I made it through that day but the next day had a fall with tomatos and peppers. We were driving back and stopped at a mexican restaurant for dinner. It was late and I was hungry. I had not eaten in a restaurant in quite a while. I had the fajitas without the shells, rice or beans. But who knows what was in the guac, I am pretty sure the oil was questionable, and although I tried to avoid the bell peppers, I did eat some salsa. I have had a hard time sleeping, had a lot of aching, and woken with headaches ever since. So not worth it. :(

It has been nice to be home again, with all of my compliant stuff. I made a huge pot of chicken veggie soup yesterday and am making modified korean short ribs today a la Nom Nom.

My headaches can be managed with tylenol, no need so far for migraine meds, so I am grateful for that. I am not sorry I off-roaded. I learned something. This time, it was that I really, really am sensitive to either nightshades or funky oil. I don't know why I find that so hard to believe, but I do. As I sit here, typing this with a wretched headache, I have to laugh at my stubborn denial. I have been sick as a dog for years and I feel better than I have in quite a long time. What is so difficult about making the connection?

At any rate, I came home glad to be compliant. I don't see it as a restriction at this point, but as freedom from pain.

Well, it is time for me to officially start over. Yesterday I ate non-compliant food. Not just non-AIP compliant. And my biggest symptom is an inability to sleep. I take the magnesium, even melatonin, and I am still wide awake at 3 am. After four nights of this, and an average of 3-4 hours night sleep each night, this is not a coincidence. I need to go back to strict AIP. Clearly my food effects my diurnal cycle pretty seriously. I am going to start a new AIP diary today. I had not prepared to go off and when I did, I found myself thinking, "I can eat anything!" It was kind of funny because it's not like anyone has been preventing me from eating whatever I want. These have been choices. Still, once I started, I felt like a kid sneaking into the pantry. I tried bites of many things. The vast majority did not taste good. Especially anything packaged. I actually spit some things out because they just tasted gross. The most exciting thing I ate was a huge salad with a little cheese and some greek yoghurt based dressing. At any rate, I will start an AIP thread and my new commitment to AIP starts today. I feel like a zombie due to lack of sleep. :blink:

Archived