Shubert's Whole100 Log

Shubert

I am starting a Whole100 today! I did my first Whole30 in January and since finishing it last week, I have eaten every piece of junk food I could get my hands on and I feel terrible. I now realize how unhealthy my relationship with food is. I want to change it for good, so I need more than 30 days.

Things I learned in my first Whole30:

1. No nuts during the 100 days. They are too easy to binge on.

2. Keep your meal plan simple!C

3. Have dinner ingredients ready so it will take 10 minutes to whip up when I get home from work.

4. No sugar. Not in fruit. Nothing. It makes it so much harder to stay compliant. Until I beat my sugar demon, don't eat any.

I am going into this knowing that I am not going to be compliant next weekend at Mardi Gras. I will be drinking and eating food at booths at the parade. I am going to try to stay as compliant as possible (def. no sugar) but this will also be the only time I drink on my Whole100 because my discipline goes soaring out the window like a speeding bullet as soon as I start drinking.

I am going to take pictures of myself tonight, but not weigh in. I am getting rid of my scale. I weighed myself after this past Whole30 and since I lost less than I expected too, it fueled my binge eating even more. I do not want my success to hinge on reaching a certain number on the scale.

My other rules:

1. Use Myfitnesspal to count calories the first two weeks. I need to get a concept of how much I am actually eating every day. Last month I was eating way too much some days and way too little others. It should be more consistent (hopefully around the 1300-1400 calorie mark).

2. If I ever eat something that isn't compliant, that does not mean that day is lost so I can eat whatever I want to. If I do have a mishap, accept it, try to figure out the circumstances that led me to it, and move on.

3. I will keep a diary on this forum to keep me in line and always learning from my mistakes.

Also, if I complete the 100 days, I get to dye and cut my hair the way I have been wanting to for years, but have never had the guts to do it. Blonde with bangs!

I may think of other rules/goals to add.

Breakfast: nothing, because I am so full and feeling terrible from crappy Superbowl food (this will not be a habit. I will ALWAYS make sure I eat some protein and fat for breakfast)

Lunch: 5 ounces of baked lemon chicken, with 1 cup of frozen spinach, microwaved with salt

It feels great to not get tired right after eating lunch!

Just did the calculation and Wednesday, May 8 will be the last day of my 100 days. I am still going to do the full 100 days but I have several trips planned (camping trip end of April and a cousin's graduation at my alma mater the first weekend of May) that include drinking. Hopefully by the end of April, I will be completely used to eating like this and will have no problem avoiding temptation away from home and while drinking. These events, combined with upcoming weddings and a bachelorette party, are other incentives for me to get my eating under control. I want to be confident when I am at these things. I want to be able to wear cute things. To do that, I have to stick with this kick-ass plan I just made for myself.

This time around I also signed up for the Whole30 daily email reminders so I hope they help!

• Moderators

I hear you that you need more time to rework your relationship with food... that 30 days was not enough. Many of us need more time to make deep and lasting changes. But until you are ready to commit to 100 days, don't pretend you are ready.

The Whole30 is not an open source program for you to adjust to your specifications. The Whole30 does not make exceptions for trips or special events. If you drink alcohol for any reason, you are not doing a Whole30.

And it is not okay to track your calories in MyFitnessPal. The Whole30 comes with a meal template that tells you how much to eat in consultation with your feelings of hunger. Doing it another way means you are doing your own independent program. Not only is the way you are proposing here not a Whole30, we know it is a way that screws up your relationship with food and makes things worse instead of better. Don't do it!

If you know you are not going to follow the program on certain dates, fine. Eat according to the program until that date, do your off-road thing as you like, and then come back to the program. Maybe you will do a Whole15, then a Whole34, then a Whole8, etc. But no matter how you organize your time, please know that it is a huge mistake to track your calories and try to adjust what you eat to an arbitrary number. You can't make a Whole30 better by mashing it together with Weight Watchers.

okay seems like i need to do some adjusting!

New-improved-plan:

I am going to do a Whole5 this week, have a wild Mardi Gras weekend and then start a Whole60 which will end on Friday, April 19th. That will actually be way better because I was really worried about those weekends. I was trying to change the program to fit into my life, when really, I need to do the opposite.

I guess I need to re-read those chapters about the meal planning too. My meal sizes were all over the place last time, and I was still eating to the point I was over-full a lot, something I need to work on. I wanted to use calorie counting to help me adjust and know I'm eating enough each meal. I still feel like I can't trust my own senses yet, but I will go back and re-read those sections in the book for some help.

Thanks for your advice Tom! I have a lot to learn and I want to do this the right way.

I have figured out one of my triggers. As soon as I get home, I head straight to the fridge. I try to find anything I can to snack on. Last month on the Whole30, I ate so many walnuts and pecans because I would get home from work, be starving, and just mindlessly eat them in front of the tv because that was easier than cooking dinner. Last night, I realized what I was doing when I was about to eat my sausage for breakfast this week, and made myself finish preparing my dinner before I ate anything.

Another thing that screws me up is how bad I am at waking up in the mornings. I always sleep through my alarm. Then I barely have time to eat breakfast or I forget part of my lunch and I start my morning off flustered and stressed. The rest of this week, I am going to wake up at 5:00 in the morning, when I am supposed to. It will give me time to stretch, read, get ready, eat breakfast, and not be speeding to work. With this, though, comes going to bed on time. I need to be in bed by 9:00. It sucks because my family still hangs out and I want to spend time with them, but I need 8 hours of sleep. This also doesn't mean be laying in bed by 9:00 watching Parks & Rec on my laptop.

My head is also starting to feel a little foggy and my throat a little sore. I hope I'm not getting sick, I didn't think the carb flu thingy would happen this fast.

Breakfast: 1/4 lb of sausage with 2 eggs

Lunch: Lemon Garlic Chicken with spinach

Snack: Some more sausage (i didn't eat very much at lunch, need to plan better so i don't need snacks)

Dinner yesterday: beef meatballs w/ zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoe, asparagus and spinach cooked in Rao's tomato sauce- So good & filling!

So no more tea! I gave up coffee last time because it hurt my stomach, so I thought maybe I could switch to tea. My stomach hurts and I am so jittery! I am on a caffeine high that makes me a little spastic. I'm just going to stick to water.

I went to bed early last night, but didn't wake up when my alarm went off. I got up to shut it off and I was "just going to lay down real quick while I wake up." Of course that was bullshit and I woke up 15 minutes before I had to be out the door. I am going to practice the trick where you practice getting out of bed when your alarm goes off over and over until eventually, your habit is to wake up, not go back to sleep.

I also took my before pictures last night. It is really the first time I've seen pictures of me like that with such little clothing. I am really disappointed in how I've let myself get. I am excited I am finally on track to become much healthier, in habits & body composition.

ugh i am in such a bad mood. I don't think I ate enough at lunch but I really wasn't that hungry. I feel like I'm getting sick in my throat. I'm drinking lots and lots of water so I hope that helps.

Also, going to dinner at my grandma's tonight, a Wednesday evening tradition. I think it hurts her feelings that i don't eat her food, but it is almost never compliant. We'll see tonight!

Day 4. Feeling fine, my throat is still a little scratcy, but food wise, GREAT! I still cannot get this morning thing down, I slept in again today. Tomorrow is the last day of this Whole5, and then I am starting a Whole60 on Monday. I really want to get better at mornings, so along with starting a Whole60, I am going to start waking up when my alarm goes off. It will be a rule as strict as no cupcakes to me.

I leave tomorrow night for my Mardi Gras trip. While I will be drinking and will not be able to be compliant the whole time, I am going to try my best. I am taking food for my dinner tomorrow, hard-boiled eggs & sausage for breakfast Saturday morning and taking homemade jerky & an avocado for lunch/snack throughout the day. By Monday, I am sure I will be so ready to get back on track like I was last week. I love that I am starting to feel that way!

I haven't been planning well this week for meals, so I am going to be starving when I get off work today. I am trying to decide how many carbs I'm going to eat. I want to get the most weight loss out of this program I have, so I want to include them as little as possible.

I feel great today! My skin on my face has completely cleared up and it is so soft everywhere else! There are red velvet cupcakes in my office today, but I knew they were going to be here so I ate a big breakfast. I also have everything packed for my trip this weekend for every meal I could. There will be Whole30 compliant food merchants at a Mardi Gras parade right? haha. I'm just going to do the best I can. Successfully completely a Whole5 this week has made me feel really good, I'm glad I get to go into the weekend feeling like this. Which I will not if I eat any of those cupcakes. So don't.

So I'm having a really terrible day so far. Family/financial issues just keep popping up. I was just trying to justify eating one of the cupcakes to myself, but I would just feel even worse if I ate it. Plus, I don't think I would really enjoy it. I would eat it really fast and just be wanting another one. It starts a terrible sugar binge that I won't beat until I quit it completely.

Archived