First Time @ Hot Yoga

annnewjerz

I'm not someone who regularly practices yoga, although I have taken a class here and there and have done some at-home DVDs over the years. My sister somehow convinced me to take a hot yoga class on Wednesday. :blink:

Right now, most of my workouts include cardio (spinning, long walks/hikes/intervals) and lifting weights in the basement --- I've been sidelined from Crossfit for about 4 months because I broke my foot, and I figured throwing in some yoga would help me mix it up a bit.

Basically the only thing I know is that it's yoga, it's super hot and that I should make sure to drink lots of water in advance and bring a bit bottle of water and a towel for class.

Any tips/tricks to keep from keeling over? Is this going to be a disaster? :D

Part of my Whole30 was to try some new things, so I guess at the very worst I can check something off the list!

Ann

• Moderators

Keeling over is part of the process. I made it maybe 60 minutes through the 90 minute class before the teacher told me to stop trying to do the poses and just watch. I think the next time I came she made me stop sooner. It took me about 5 tries before I made it all the way through a class.

For your first class, there definitely may be some keeling over. If you feel yourself getting dizzy or nauseous, just lay down on your mat. Being in the room can be a workout in and of itself. I find not eating a few hours before is helpful and you'll want to make sure you're well hydrated. The heat can make you more flexible, so just be careful not to overdo it. Make sure the instructor knows it's your first time, they'll be able to help with tips and keep an eye on you.

I love hot yoga. It's challenging, but a great workout. Have fun!

I took my first hot yoga class recently...and I loved it. However, half way through I was thinking "maybe this is not for me, maybe my blood pressure is too low." I thought I might pass out or throw up. When it was all over, though, I felt great and I went back for more. Yes, definitely hydrate ahead of time. I didn't do that. Wear as little as you feel comfortable wearing, and go at your own pace. I agree that it is a workout just to stay in the room. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the responses everyone! Class is tonight. I've got a big bottle of water ready to drink on the ride home from work (45-60 minutes), I've got another big jug to bring with me and some cashews to eat a bit before class since I won't be home for dinner until almost 9.

My real problem is feeling like I need to keep up whenever I take classes, even if it's my first class. I need to learn that pushing myself too hard can be just as bad as not going at all and take it easy. Hopefully I'll have a great time and head back soon. And who knows...in this cold winter, maybe a room that's over 100 degrees will feel like a mini-vacation. ^_^

another tip is to freeze your water bottle beforehand, because otherwise (assuming you bring it in with you) it will get quite warm at a very quick rate ;) which in my opinion is a bit less refreshing..

good luck and have fun!! i've only done hot yoga a couple times, and really enjoyed it (despite feeling like i might pass out during the first class). i was nervous about wearing just a sports bra but once i felt the heat, i found out i didn't care haha. also, be prepared for lots of sweat!

I love hot yoga and try to do it at least 3 times a week. I noticed when I first started, I would get dizzy sometimes. I then discovered that it helped to bring a tall can of coconut water and drink half on the drive to class. Then finish it when I got out of the class. It works wonders! Although, I will say that I needed this much less about 3 weeks into the whole30. I no longer have dizziness :) It is always okay to sit for a minute if you need to also. Have fun!

Well, first hot yoga class is done...and I didn't die or anything! :D

I went last night from 6:30 - 8:00 and I have to say, it was pretty good. The heat didn't bother me at all --- which was surprising. It was definitely hot, and I was definitely sweaty --- but a different kind of sweaty if that makes sense. Sweaty on the tops of my feet, shins and other places I don't usually sweat from as CrossFit or during spinning. I'm not someone who practices yoga regularly, so a lot of the poses I had to modify/would fall out of and have to restart, but the instructor knew it was my first time and made suggestions for alternative postures, etc.

I paid $25 for 10 consencutive days as an introductory offer, so I think I'll go back on Saturday and give it another whirl.

Thanks again for all the tips everyone!

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite Bikram quotes is, "Breathing is mandatory. Everything else is optional."

I experienced weakness and dizziness when I went to Bikram around Day 15. I asked for advice here and people suggested eating a pre WO meal. So now, if I do the 7:30 am class, I eat a hard-boiled egg and a closed handful of nuts before I go. If I can't eat Meal #1 within half an hour after class, I bring a hard-boiled egg to have immediately afterwards.

I also bring two 32 oz water bottles, filled with "paleo gatorade," adapted from a recipe I found online. Just squirt some lemon juice into the bottle with a pinch of sea salt. That seems to help with the post-class shakiness.

Hot yoga is the only thing that gets me close to the high I used to experience as a runner. I love it so much.

Archived