Probiotic overload?

Missy Olsen

Hi,

I currently take a probiotic (PrimalFlora from Primal Nutrition) and was wondering if drinking Kombucha is necessary. I would like to try it but I also don't want to be taking in too much probiotic (if that's even possible). Also what are the reglautions on Synergy Kombucha in regards to Whole30. I would like to believe all of the ingredients in there are somewhat healthy but I don't exactly know.

In the meantime I am doing some reasearch on Synergy's ingredients.

Thanks!

Missy

P.S. I have attached a screen capture of the PimalFlora nutrition facts

post-3918-0-31025500-1360015626_thumb.jp

• Moderators

Every probiotic has some effect, so you can take too many. I would drink kombucha instead of taking a probiotic in pill form.

I just bought a case of the GT Synergy Cosmic Cranberry. The Synergy line is okay during a Whole30, but some like Mystic Mango are a little high on sugar due to the mango puree. It is legal, but not always a good choice.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first tried kombucha I was told to take a small amount each day and build up gradually. This is what the website said

Start with a 100-125ml serving of GO! Kombucha a day for the first 6 or 7 days (approximately one bottle), then increase to 2 or 3 servings throughout the day or as desired.

Go is the only one I've found here in the UK but I imagine it would be the same for all. I've been told that if you start with too much it can cause upset stomachs but I started gradually and had no problems. I've now joined the ranks of making my own and love it.

• 2 years later...

If you're edging up slowly, that's alright.  I can guzzle a couple of bottles with no probs in one day.  That's a pretty expensive habit. One bottle aday is sufficient unless you're going to brew your own. Mine would probably turn into hooch booch and I'd have my own moonshine stillgargle-blaster-smiley.gif?1292867601under the kitchen sink.  

I started with Water Kefir and had about a quarter cup a day till I knew it wasn't causing an issue and I felt like I had "built up" an acceptance for it long enough. Then a quarter cup a meal. Now I just drink it whenever and however much I like. It's possible I still had too much the other day though, ended up with a headache.  I went the route of Water Kefir to avoid the caffeine.

Ok, here to drop a bomb on you guys: kombucha hasn't been shown to contain probiotics anyway (unless you buy a store-bought kind that has probiotics added after brewing). Kombucha naturally contains beneficial organic acids. This is the reason to drink it, not for probiotic content.

I don't see any issues with overlap with the primal flora. If you want both go ahead with both.

Archived