Krista's Reintro log

I wrapped up my W30 last Thursday and felt great, There were tough moments of course but over all I felt really good eating/living the W30 life. Friday came and went with no desire to reintroduce anything. I felt sure when I started this that I would miss having a drink enough to reintroduce alcohol fairly quickly. However I realized through this process that booze and I do not get along....at all!

Saturday was spent helping my very pregnant friend pull off a surprise birthday party for her husband and son. Lots of work, super fun, lots of temptations! There was beer and wine at the party but suprisingly I didn't have the desire to indulge. There was also not one but two cakes and honestly they didn't tempt at all. I suspect that the BBQ fare was not compliant though so I'm not 100% sure what I reintroduced that day, I stuck to the meats, but again I'm sure there were off plan ingredients. I had a stomach ache that evening and the flavor of the meat kept revisiting if you know what I mean.

I chose superbowl sunday to reintroduce non gluten grains and decided I would allow a Nor-Cal Margarita if the desire was there. I started the day with a bowl of GF oatmeal with berries and almond butter. It was **ok** not as pleasurable as I remember-I really loved my oatmeal before-and I didn't feel satisfied after the meal. A few hours later I had some stomach discomfort that I realized was...familiar, but had been absent during the W30....hmmm....during the big game I ate some organic corn chips and had gluten free buns for my chocolate chile dogs. I did decide to have the drink, which gave me heartburn thereby making it so much easier to pass on a second! The drink was not satisfying in the least, which may have been the weekend's biggest surprise. By the time the end of the evening came around I was bloated and feeling ill. The other thing I noticed yesterday that I don't remember experiencing during my W30 was my noisy knees. My knees have always cracked anytime I squatted down to the ground. Last night I dropped down to the floor and both my knees cracked so loud it startled me and my son.

Fast forward to Monday and I'm feeling less than stellar. I'm cranky and super tired although my son had nightmares last night so neither of us slept well so I'm not totally sure how much I can place the blame on yesterday's reintroductions! I'm also experiencing a pain in my right back and hips that had gone away during the W30 but was happening frequently before. I told my son that I would probably not be eating non gluten grains on a regular basis but will reserve the option to have a GF bun when we go out for burgers if I want. I know I was really looking forward to my W30 compliant day of eating today and tomorrow.

I will wait until Wednesday to try dairy.

Yesterday's food:

M1: sausage scramble with kale, mushroom and sweet potato, one egg and black coffee

M2: chocolate chile, raw veggies with olive oil mayo ranch dip

M3: roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli with steak and salad, olive oil mayo dressing

Snack: almonds and macadamia nuts

Overall yesterday was a horrible day for my mood, I was cranky all day. My lower back, hips and thighs were killing me, prior to W30 I was in frequent pain, during my W30 rarely did I feel it. Last night I took a long, hot bath and went to bed early, that helped the pain.

Today the mental fog is lifting, I woke up feeling more like myself. It's hard to describe other than to say I felt mentally and emotionally "lighter" while on the W30, yesterday I dipped back into the dark place where anxiety reigns supreme. I did not miss that place at all and I'm grateful to be on the other side today.

Krista, I was cranky as all get out on Sunday (after two days of reintroducing dairy). And I've been headachy, fatigued and not having much of an appetite.

In my case the milk was extremely delicious and satisfying. I keep telling myself that maybe I just happened to catch a virus right after the reintro! And I will re-reintroduce milk later to test that possibility.

But it sure is lousy to feel lousy. And it sure is STRONG motivation to eat clean! Today I just wanted oatmeal (ha!) with cream (dairy cream). Fortunately I have neither one in the house. So I had some leftover spiced ground beef and tomatoes (I guess it could be called chili) with leftover squash. Couldn't quite finish it but I was giving my body some good nutrition.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I appreciate the resolve and determination that's coming through in your post.

Terez

Was your son eating mostly whole30 along with you? I'm wondering if the reintroduction of other foods during the superbowl caused his nightmares.

Also, chocolate chili is the best...seems like everyone around here is making it these days!

I had considered that as well, he's always been a terrible sleeper so the nightmares and wakings are nothing new. I've had him on a mostly paleo diet for a while and I believe it has helped keep him healthy. His classmates are dropping like flies with the flu and norovirus and he hasn't missed a single day of school **insert happy clap here!** He definately did some off roading on Sunday and paid for it later, poor little guy had a terrible stomach ache after dinner. It was so bad I had to get out the hot water bottle and prescribed extra snuggles with Momma. This week he's back on my bandwagon. I know I feel great eating this way, but we're definately a blended household, my Mexico born husband cannot fathom eliminating corn or beans from his diet. He could take or leave the bread for the most part but not the corn tortillas!

Yesterday ended much better than today began. By the end of the day I felt close to normal. Today....wowza, major crank! I do believe the single biggest culprit is my fatigue. It's been a really rough couple of days in the sleep department, or should I say lack of sleep.

Yesterday's food:

M1 kale, mushroom, roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli with a little left over steak scrambled with two eggs

M2 bunless burger with guac and salad

M3 salmon filet with tomato, avocado, red and grilled onions and spicy peppers, kombucha

It was a very snacky day yesterday, I munched on macadamia nuts and then had an evening school meeting, I'm the chair of the PTO, I always bring snacks, I brought, but did not eat, GF crackers and pretzels that were languishing unopened in my pantry, and some apples and bananas. During the meeting that went on way longer than it usually does-thank you upcoming auction-I had a banana and an apple. When I got home I wanted to snack more....but didn't. I also drank way too much coffee yesterday.

Today I'm reintroducing dairy, and I'm tired and cranky.

M1 saute mushrooms, sweet potato and butternut squash in ghee with two eggs, bowl of plain goat yogurt with berries, black coffee.

I feel uncomfortably full yet hungry at the same time, odd.

Yesterday was still a little snacky, munched on macadmia nuts and jerky in the late morning, a few almonds when I got home, I think my cycle and fatigue were to blame.

M2 Salad with salmon, olive oil may dressing, crumbled goat cheese and spaghetti squash with ghee and spices

The goat cheese which used to be my fav had an odd aftertaste and was not satisfying

M3 roasted chicken breast and thigh, roasted carrots, sauted mushrooms and spinach

My third entry in the dairy reintro was a square of fancy pants chocolate. My sister in law gave me this little box of choclates for Christmas, they're dark chocolate with bacon and sprinkle of sea salt. Very odd sounding but pretty tasty! I shared with the hubs and son, they're all fans. I read the ingredients there was butter and cream in them but no other nasty additives. I enjoyed my nibble but found myself wanting more later on, which I resisted, but the urge was there. My sugar dragon did a good job sleeping last month, but it is still there. Especially when I'm exhuasted.

Yesterday was a horrible day for my mood, but really I'm blaming the sleep department on this one. I literally warned my husband I was in a foul mood. After a much improved night of sleep I am feeling much more like myself. I wasn't sure if reintroducing dairy would trigger cravings to continue eating it, but it hasn't so far. I didn't feel the stomach pain that I had Sunday. I think I will occasionally indulge in a small bit of good dark chocolate or a bowl of goat yogurt and berries but may have finally broken my cheese addiction. I seriously loved cheese, especially expensive fancy pants cheese, I made a mean cheese tray pre W30!

Wow, good job on resisiting eating more chocolate! This is my main struggle - take one piece and be satisfied. Anyone who can do this is automatically a hero in my eyes.

I tried milk - no. Tried yoghurt - I don't think so. I am left with cheese to try. I am pretty terrified, because I love good cheese, but most of types I like are really really hard to overeat. I'll keep an eye on you log to see how it will work for you.

Hope you'll have improvements in your sleep department and feel great very soon!

Sleep, sleep, glorious sleep-oh how I have missed you! Still not 100% but my munchkin is only waking me once, a vast improvement over Sunday and Mondays nightmares and mess!

M1 diced chicken breast/thigh with kale, mushrooms, sweet potatos and eggs

M2 chocolate chile and raw veggies

M3 I took my main squeeze out for dinner, we had bunless burgers with bacon (gasp!) and cheese (gasp! gasp!) and a fried egg and I took the plunge and did a little off roading...I ate fries. :blink: they were ok, but not great, and I managed to not eat all of them when in the past I would have continued eating them until the plate was empty. I also took a look at the back of the ketchup bottle and realized that this particular restaurant still uses ketchup with HFCS so I put that back and dipped in grainy mustard instead.

I will say, off roading felt bizarre! My son seemed really happy though that we could share fries again, he's so stinking cute....when he's not waking me up at all hours of the night.

I'm glad I tried a little extra dairy because while I previously thought that I did not react at all I've noticed now I feel like I need to clear mucus out of my throat after eating cheese. I added some cheese today to my lunch and again as I sit here typicing I feel like I need to cough and clear my throat. I don't recall that feeling from the goat yogurt, but the cheddar and the havarti both are affecting me.

Holy busy weekend! What the heck, total whirlwind! I did not reintroduce anything new over the weekend, that was very much on purpose. I spent 3 hours Sunday trying on vintage dresses for our themed auction in 8 different stores and I did not want to risk any puffy belly!

Last night I had an auction meeting at an italian restaurant, lovely little place. I decided to take the plunge and eat bread, it was pretty tasty with the housemade marinara. I will admit I was quite afraid of what might happen after reading some of the other reintro blogs. I expected a belly ache and severe bloating....I didn't get either. Well, I ** might ** be a little puffier than normal but I'm not sure. What I did experience though was some seriously anxious and irrational thoughts as I was driving home. Thought patterns that were all too common before the W30. Completely off the wall things that my rational brain knows will never happen, but I still stew on and create elaborate scenarios in my head about complete with dialogue between me and other people. In retrospect I've always done this. I've always "lived in my head" like that and concocted elaborate, vivid, and typically negative scenes that will run through like a loop in my brain until I create real feelings of anger towards real people in my life who have really done nothing to me. Then I got home, and saw that my crazy train scenario was in fact NOT happening, tucked my sweet babe into bed, showered, and went downstairs to unwind with a crossword puzzle....and the itching started. My arms itched, my stomach itched, my face, my head and my legs itched. Coincidence? Not sure.

This morning I decided to try gluten again and had a piece of sourdough bread with jam. It was allright, I will say I felt quite guilty eating it alone in my kitchen at 5;30 in the morning! I didn't eat it with my family because I did not want to eat it in front of my son, he's a GF kid because of food allergies and seeing others eat "real" bread can be a big bummer for him and since Dad and big brother are still bread munchers he sees it quite a bit. Stomach is still ok, feels a little off, honestly I feel constipated, and I'm keeping myself too busy to let the negative dramas play out in my head but I'm sitting here....scratching. I itch, either again or still, not sure which.

Has anyone else noticed itchiness as a gluten reintro symptom?! It seems so bizarre to me that it could be related to the bread.

Third time's a charm...there's the yucky tummy I was expecting last night. I picked up a veggie and beef stir fry with wheat free sauce. I would have gone with a wheat sauce since I was reintroducing it but all the sauces that contained wheat also contained soy which I have not reintroduced yet at all. Since the sauce was without wheat I bought a small package of organic animal crackers, low sugar, soy free, dairy free, etc., etc., etc. Ate those on an empty stomach....oddly unsatisfying yet imporssible to stop eating them....and I found myself thinking about eating other wheat containing foods now, wondering just how much I could push the envelope before my body rebels. The interesting thing is that I had been 90% gluten free for a while. I don't want to eat it in front of my son and I have felt bloated by it in the past so I was rarely eating it, only if we were out for dinner and the bread was freshly housemade was I tempted. I have read about the addictive qualities of wheat, how eating some leads to eating more and more and more and well, I think that's pretty accurate. Fortunately I'm sitting here with a mild stomach ache to remind me to cut the cycle off now.

Wednesday dawns with a calmer stomach and mind. Last night we went out for dinner before my son's school Space Museum opening. Went with the bunless burger and salad with oil and vinegar, back on track!

Tomorrow being V day I plan to make a compliant dinner of steak and scallops but I know I will have a glass of red wine and possibly make dessert. After that I think I'll get a few days of compliant eating under my belt before I tackle legumes.

Today has been interesting, stomach is fine, worry wart brain has calmed down.....but I feel really snacky.

M1, ground pork with kale, mushrooms, broccoli and two eggs, black coffee

M2, spinach salad with tuna, red bell pepper, carrots and tomato, dressed in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, 1/4 avocado, blueberries with coconut

Normally my breakfast carries me all the way until 12:30, today I had to eat at 11:30. Now it's almost 2:30 and I'm feel like munching on something, sadly...or not... there isn't much to munch on.

Yesterday closed out with some serious fatigue and cravings-I'm looking at YOU red wine! I'm quite sure I over did it in the nuts department when I got home but I'm not going to stress about it. Husband was getting home late so the dude and I had some pistachios and worked on his Valentine's day box.

M3 beef sliders with roasted asparagus and broccolini plus raw cucumber and tomato with bubbly water.

Then I crashed out for the night...not how I intended to spend my evening, I really wanted to read, but guess the body had other things in mind! I feel a lot better though today.

M1 ground pork with eggs, kale, mushrooms and broccoli, one almond flour & pumpkin pancake, black coffee

M2 spinach salad with tuna & olive oil mayo-oh how I love paleo mayo! 1/4 avocado, celery with almond butter

The urge to eat everything in sight has passed. I had an almond flour pancake this morning, my son loves pancakes so I make them a few times a week, I didn't eat any during my W30, they are sweetened with honey. Today I had one and found it...too sweet. They're in the occasional treat category for me now. I don't feel bad about the 1 tablespoon of honey that goes into the 8-10 pancakes I make, but I feel much better with a heavy veg breakfast than I do with pancakes.

Tonight is a bit of a splurge night. I'm planning on cooking steak and scallops with roasted brussels sprouts, fingerling potatoes & asparagus. I have not eaten a non sweet potato in over 6 weeks, should be interesting to see what they taste like now.

regular potatos were pretty uninspiring, but then I was never a huge spud eater to begin with-except fries, I had a special love affair with fries.

VDay dinner was lovely, had some red wine, enjoyed an off roading dessert, didn't feel too worse for wear. I had a lovely experience Friday, I decided to open the Vday chocolate that my husband and son gave me and managed to successfully and without much pain or trauma only eat two squares! And I haven't nibbled on it since! In the past that would not have been the case, chocolate leads to chocolate leads to more chocolate, I was very pleased that I could indulge in those two squares and not feel upset or deprived by putting the rest away.

I believe I have successfully completed my reintroductions. I dipped my toe into the legume waters with a serving of edamame, peanut butter, home made white bean mash and today had tofu in my hot wok. All in all I don't think that legumes disagree with me terribly. I do feel a little "off". Last night I went to bed early feeling a little dizzy, again I feel like I'm leaning slightly to the side-but I'm not-that feeling had resolved before going to lunch, I had a small headache appear after eating the peanut butter and what I can only describe as butterflies in my stomach, just not feeling as great as I could. Don't know if I could blame the legumes though since there are tons of nastie bugs going around right now, I could be fighting off that flu that keeps taking out entire families in my son's school!

I will say after reintroducing things I felt 10x better on the W30. It's amazing to me how much more at peace and calm I felt-despite the tornado of chaos that often swirls around me. The changes in my mental health were so important after years of depression and anxiety. I've found myself much quicker to snap at others in frustration. I've been staying up later than I should and not drinking enough water. One thing that hasn't really slipped is my veggie consumption, it still remains high and my fruits low. Keeps the sugar dragon from raging but I've also found myself indulging in adult beverages more :wacko: I really don't want to go slipping down that slope so I'm going to have to define my boundaries better. I've often said, with regards to wine, I don't want to have to say never so I have to be better at saying no.

I realized today that I have not taken advil or tylenol in about 7 weeks. This in itself is testimony to the power of nutrition, I've been plagued by recurring headaches particularly around my cycle. I did have a doozy of a migraine on day one but I managed to push through that without meds. I also have not had to take melatonin since starting my W30. I've reduced my supplements now to just omegas-I need to get back into the magnesium habit, I was doing well with it during W30 but let it slip post. I used to take a lot of supplements to try to get my hormones and cycles on track and keep my head above water with the depression. I was on zoloft for two years but quit cold turkey four years ago-not a pleasant experience. Since that time I've been seen by a naturapath and used a variety of herbal supports and supplements to manage my symptoms plus exercise. I think January and my W30 managed it all better than anything I'd done up to that point, including my rounds of acupuncture. Now I have to learn to ride my bike, and frankly that frightens me. I know what to do, I know what not to do, it's the doing it in the face of opposition or temptation that is so hard.

I'm going to take a while to see how I do and then I'm thinking about starting a W30 with my son. He's 8 and plagued by seasonal allergies and noisy, cracking, achy ankles. He has a diagnosed wheat allergy-blood test-and has been wheat free since he was 6, it helped a lot, he actually hasn't been sick at all this year and hasn't missed a single day of school **knocks on wood**. If he eats wheat now he has some tummy upset but the big issue is that within 12 hours he'll have a bad cold sore, which breaks my heart. He's also a terrible sleeper. I'd love to see improvements in that too! He's starting acupuncture next week for the allergies. We've tried a lot of other alternative medicine treatment but he always has to take an OTC allergy pill. I'd love for him to not need that 3/4 of the year. His skin test showed response to spring/summer/fall pollens plus mold, dust and pet dander-so basically he's allergic to something 12 months out of the year. He wants a cat so bad but I have to keep saying no. :(

For him to be successful though I'll have to do some more research into W30 compliant sauces, the boy loves to dip things! He loves the mayo I make and turning that in to ranch with herbs has been a big hit.

So there we have it...signing off of the reintro log and moving on to living the life. Overall I'd say these reintroductions did not make me feel violently ill but I feel like I sacrificed my good health to eat them. I may opt to have a GF bun from time to time and I will probably be faced with corn and/or beans at my mother in law's table but I don't see any reason to add them back in to my diet on a regular basis. I feel much better without them.

Archived