Gabby's first whole 30

gabsgab

DAY 17:

Woke up this morning and took the dog for a good walk even though it was freezing out. Wish I had a bit more "get up and go" in the mornings but that's never really happened for me before so nothing new.

M1: first time having dinner for breakfast. I had some leftover cauliflower puree topped with the turkey/veggie meat sauce. This was exactly what I wanted and required no work whatsoever. Score!

+ banana

M2: same big mixed greens salad with baked chicken

Afternoon green tea and handful of blueberries/blackberries

M3: leftover chicken soup from the weekend.

Notes:

-4 1/2 miles on elliptical. Really worked it today!

-felt pretty good throughout the day, can't ask for much more.

DAY 18:

Woke up this morning feeling like I got a good night's sleep. Took a nice walk with the dog.

M1: last of the leftover chicken soup ...this happened for a couple of reasons. First, don't know how it happened but we didn't have any other meat in the house except tuna and that didn't sound appetizing. Secondly, I am headed out of town this weekend and we are trying to empty our fridge. It was actually pretty satisfying in the morning, go figure.

M2: Whole foods again. Had a salad and a piece of cajun salmon

handful of blackberries/blueberries

M3: Pork chops with kale and mushrooms and broccoli. Hubby cooked it all in a cast iron skillet in the oven and it was delish!

Notes:

-Long day at work plus traffic meant I did not hit the gym today. Instead came home and did a boxing workout with the heavy bag.

-Prepped for lunches tomorrow and I can say our fridge will look eerily empty after tomorrow.

-I'm a little weary of heading out of town for a celebration (friend's baby shower) but I think I just need to be as prepared as I can and make good choices. Besides, I'll be gone for only about 48 hours so it can't possibly be that bad.

DAY 19:

Woke up early to a rainy day. Had to be at work early since I was leaving early to head to the airport.

M1: 2 eggs with veggies and turkey topped with salsa + 1/2 orange + coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: salad with tuna salad

Handful with blueberries and blackberries.

2 slices of deli oven roasted turkey

M3: the dreaded airport!!!! The only thing I found was some carrot juice. I also had brought some nuts and a Lara bar so had that. Far from ideal and I was left hungry but I wasn't going to fold.

Notes:

-had more coffee at the airport since my flight was delayed 2 1/2 hours!!!!!Black coffee that is and didn't mind it too much. If you had told me even a month ago that I would be drinking black coffee I wouldn't have believed it. Crazy!!

-long, LONG day, was glad when it was over!!!!!

DAY 20:

First day totally away from my house and safe food. I really vowed to do the best I could despite the fact that I would have little control over food prepared for me. Here's how I did:

M1: black coffee (still hard to believe I drink it this way now) then we went to a pretty food allergy friendly restaurant.

Had an omelet (no cheese) w/ shredded chicken topped with salsa verde with a sausage patty ( I was assured there was no sugar in the sausage)

So yummy !

M2: I was at a baby shower where there were lots of finger foods. Not a lot of options but I did have some salsa, veggies, a fruit skewer and some almonds.

Snack of ceviche my friend had as leftovers (lifesaver!)

M3: I did my best with limited options. I got a hot italian sausage salad with some sauerkraut. I use the word salad only because that's what the menu said, it was really just some mixed greens. Also, I can't be positive of all ingredients in the sausage but at least I know it was high quality and without a bunch of junk.

Notes:

Wow, today was a struggle as it was a day long social affair. I drank some club sodas at the baby shower and did my best to be pretty social catching up with some old friends. It really helped that my really good friend is the pregnant one! LOL! People kept asking me why I would possibly choose to do this (specifically not drink) and I kept saying "for health" duh. It took a lot of will power but I'm pretty proud of myself for staying the course.

I kept thinking is this really me? I guess so. :-)

DAY 21:

M1: I knew we were going to brunch so I made sure to eat something beforehand. So had 2 eggs with mushrooms, red onion and kale topped with some salsa at my friend's house. Also had a couple of pieces of mango, canteloupe and a couple strawberries and a cup of black coffee

M2: This was difficult again since it was a social situation and I had been invited and didn't want to draw attention to myself (the attention should be on my friend and her husband) nor be rude by not participating. We were at a gospel brunch at a BBQ place so the options were very limited. I ended up with some nopales (cactus stewed with tomatoes, cilantro and peppers) and some brisket and a small cup of fresh fruit.

Snack of some carrots and grapes for my drive to the airport.

M3: On my drive back to the airport I saw a Chipotle being advertised as a food option off of an exit off the interstate so I stopped there for some food since I knew (and had learned the hard way) the airport would have minimal options (if any at all). Had a carnitas salad with pico de gallo, guacamole, and salsa. It was sooooooo good to know this was Whole30 compliant. :)

Got to the airport and got some Tazo calm tea for the flight.

Notes: It was a beautiful day in Austin and we spent a lot of the afternoon in the park walking around. I guess that's why people love Texas. It was almost 80 degrees out in February. This weekend was quite a challenge for me but I'm so glad I went. I'm also now feeling pretty confident that I can make good choices regardless of the situation that presents itself to me.

DAY 22:

M1: 2 eggs with some leftover pot roast my sister gave me last night topped with salsa and some sauteed kale. Black coffee and 1/2 orange

M2: Mexican marinated chicken with some green beans sauteed with shallots and olive oil, steamed broccoli, blanched zucchini + yerba mate tea

Handful of blueberries/blackberries and cashews

M3: Quick italian veggie soup.

Notes:

After a weekend out of control of most of my food I was more than happy to cook my meals again. Didn't get to the gym today since I had to pick the hubby up from the airport but should be back on track tomorrow.

DAY 23:

M1: 2 eggs scrambled with veggies and turkey kielbasa topped with salsa + black coffee

M2: Mexican marinated chicken, steamed broccoli, blanched zucchini, and sauteed green beans. Also had a little bit of braised collard greens.

1/2 orange and some blackberries

Yerba mate tea

M3: grilled tri tip with sauteed mushrooms, onions and peppers topped with salsa and guacamole + sauteed kale.

Notes:

Did 1 hr toning class + 7 mi bike ride at gym

Went to the store and continue to be amazed at the amount of unnecessary junk in most food. These past few weeks have been pretty eye opening to say the least and I'm very grateful for this experience.

DAY 24:

Woke up and the sun was out! Woohoo! Took the dog for a nice walk first thing this morning.

M1: 2 eggs with veggies and turkey kielbasa topped with salsa and guacamole + coffee with coconut milk

M2: spinach and kale salad with tessimae's Italian dressing and I added some sliced roast beef

1/2 orange and some blackberries

Yerba mate tea

M3: it was bunco night! So I brought some crock pot jambalaya as my dish. I also had 5 meatballs my sister made (she's also on the whole 30) and la Croix since I wasn't partaking in the usual wine.

Lots of curiosity mainly about why I wasn't drinking and there were comments on how the selection and quality of wine had suffered greatly. Oh well.

DAY 25:

I woke up today feeling like I'd gotten a really good sleep. That's not a bad way to start the day. Wish I felt that way more about often.

Took the dog on a nice walk first thing.

M1: 2 eggs with chorizo and veggies topped with salsa + coffee with coconut milk

Small apple

M2: leftover Italian veggie soup

Banana

Yerba mate tea

M3: OMG.... Three words.....cauliflower fried rice...found recipe on nom nom paleo (great resource for recipes!) that I modified with ingredients I had on hand. It was delicious and a great way to use a huge variety of veggies. Hubby grilled some beautiful bone in pork chops and it made for a great meal.

Notes:

- 3.5 miles on elliptical at gym

- feeling pretty good and can't believe its already been 25 days! I guess that's a good thing.

DAY 26:

Walking with the dog first thing in the morning always wakes me up and she loves it.

M1: 2 eggs with chorizo and veggies topped with salsa + coffee with coconut milk

Banana

M2: hot bar at whole foods. Had a piece of hot Italian sausage, some dry rubbed beef and blanched broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash and sauteed green beans and peppers. Very satisfying.

Herbal tea -- was feeling cold and the tea helped warm me up

M3: hubby made some chicken thighs in cast iron skillet and I added some coconut oil sauteed kale with shallots and crisped up chorizo + leftover cauliflower fried rice (still yummy).

Notes:

- 5 miles on elliptical, I really worked it today.

- no real plans this weekend except cooking and prepping for next week. Might get some overdue things done around the house which will be nice.

DAY 27:

Woke up early this morning to a wonderful surprise. My hubby had gotten up and made breakfast for us.

M1: compliant banana pancakes and some spicy sausage patties. I was skeptical of the pancakes but they were delicious and very filling.

Coffee with coconut milk

M2: leftover jambalaya..perfect for after a cold afternoon walk with the dog.

A couple small slivers of smoked salmon and a small apple

Cup of green tea

M3: turkey taco salads topped with salsa and guacamole

Notes:

-1 hr toning class + 9 mi bike ride

-quiet evening in with the hubby watching movies

-one of the biggest blessings of this whole experience is that my husband is doing this with me. I am so thankful for that.

How did your husband make the pancakes?? That sounds good!

I believe it was just some mashed bananas, almond flour and eggs cooked in coconut oil. I didn't personally see the method because I was still in bed. :) I was pretty skeptical because I thought they would be too dry or require some sort of topping or the texture would be weird. My worries were for nothing because they were delicious, perfectly slightly sweet, and the same sort of consistency as a regular pancake with fruit. It's crazy how sweet things taste once you've cut added sugar out your diet. It's also been very fun to see how we can make some of the meals/dishes we really love with just some slight changes to them so much more healthy for us.

DAY 28:

Today was our first anniversary and we were wishing we were at the beach like last year getting ready to have the day of our lives. <sigh> It was a really cold weekend for Atlanta.

M1: Scrambled eggs with veggies and more sausage patties + coffee with coconut mik

M2: Hamburgers over bed of spinach/mixed greens and tomatoes, grilled zucchini and some sweet potato fries. This happened to be a sweet potato that was white so it was definitely an optical illusion because they looked like normal crinkle fries but tasted like sweet potato. Still don't know how big of a fan I am of them but they did get eaten. LOL.

M3: Bought some beautiful filets at the farmer's market topped with some sauteed mushrooms and some sauteed kale with shallots and chorizo on the side.

Notes: We did our weekly market shopping and some prep for the coming week. I have to be at work earlier than usual all week so we made a meat crust egg casserole thing so we have something in the morning to just heat and go. Also already have grilled chicken to go for salads for our lunches. It felt like we did a lot of cooking all throughout the day.

It's probably also the first time in our lives where each week we totally use everything we've bought in our fridge. All month we've only thrown one thing out and it was a small tub of baba ganoush which we bought at the very beginning for snacking but since we're hardly snacking it never got eaten. Weird!

Two more days and feeling really good about it. I asked my husband why he decided to do this with me and he reluctantly admitted that at first it was b/c he thought it would be easier to do this with me than deal with me on Whole30 and him not. I also think he was a little skeptical of everything it entailed and he even said at one point "what will be eat?" Now he says he wouldn't go back and is constantly impressed at how well we are eating. If that's not testament to this I don't know what is.

DAY 29:

Had to get to work extra early so no walk this morning.

M1: quarter of meat crust egg casserole + coffee with coconut milk. Think the meat crust might be a bit much but it was filling and quick.

M2: spinach/mixed greens salad with grilled chicken topped with Tessimae's Italian dressing

1/2 orange + handful blueberries & blackberries

M3: chicken breast cutlets stuffed with spinach, roasted red pepper and prosciutto in a mushroom Dijon sauce with steamed broccoli.

Notes:

- 3.5 miles on elliptical at gym

-this is going to be loooong week of work

-one more day !!!

DAY 30:

Another super early morning (at least for me anyway). At work by 8am is definitely not my norm. Grrrrrr.....oh well.

M1: slice of meat crust breakfast pie/casserole

+ coffee with coconut milk

Banana

M2: mixed green/spinach salad with grilled chicken

La croix

1/2 orange + handful blueberries/blackberries

M3: went to my sister's house for celebratory day 30 meal of turkey/chorizo meatballs with tomato veggie sauce on top of zoodles (zucchini noodles). Spicy and delicious! The three of us (me, hubby, sister all on day 30) toasted with some sparkling water.

Notes:

-1 hr toning class at gym (really kicked my butt today)

-10 mile bike ride

And with that this part of my journey is over. Honestly these 30 days went by pretty fast. I know it won't always be easy but I am looking forward to continuing this new way of eating.

Things I've noticed:

-we've used our dining room table more in the last month than in the last year

-i feel less bloated

-i'm sleeping better

-clothes fit much better

-i have renewed enthusiasm for a varied workout regimen and am slowly getting stronger and faster

-realized I feel lighter... Both physically and emotionally

-i am lucky to be surrounded by supportive people. Without my hubby this would not have been as fun or as easy. We love cooking together and this has allowed us to try many new things!

Can this all really be because of the food I've eaten? YES!

Archived