1st Whole30 reflections a week later

suzytee

Well I have had a week to absorb all that the Whole30 has meant to my family and myself. To say Life Changing hardly seems enough. We didn't have any major medical miracles but we were basically healthy going in so it's all good. We all lost weight though that wasn't the goal for hubby and I but mostly for our son who is mentally challenged and overweight. I didn't really miss too much during the 30 and thought I would love honey in my tea again...wrong! I tried just the tiniest amount and couldn't really taste the tea anymore. Beside that I haven't had the desire to add sweets back into my world. I did make Raw Cashew Dream cake for our celebration which had 1/3 cup honey....way worth it!! I don't think my husband or son ever got over wanting the old foods. My hubby dove right back in which makes me a little sad. He is an alcoholic and after 30 days without...he didn't even hesitate :( . AND he hasn't seemed to have any ill effects...darn! Oh well.....He will still continue to eat what we eat and cook whenI work. My son still has weight loss goals so is happy to continue eating this great food with an occasional "different choice". As for me...I went in healthy and came out healthier but with such a wonderful new relationship with my food and my kitchen!! I tried all sorts of foods that I never had...avocado, olives, beets( yuk, but I tried). I made bone broth in my new pressure cooker, can't ever imagine buying mayo again and eating by the template is just so 2nd nature now. I think that habit is a lasting change for us. It was lovely to eat out again knowing that that will never be a totally compliant situation but we can do our best. My son and I now eat lunch and dinner together "at the table with placemats" !! THAT my friends is a wonderful change. I don't believe my hubby ever will get there but maybe someday....when the TV breaks down. So the plan is to continue as Whole30 compliant as possible and see what happens over time. Thanks to all the Whole9 and Whole30 folks for giving this gift to the world!

Suzytee, I just came across this. I'm soooo glad you had such positive results especially for your son. I remember back when you started, thinking it was wonderful you were doing this for him. I'm glad he's going to continue eating healthy. I envy you eating lunch and dinner with your son. Mine is on the autistic spectrum and finds eating in front of anyone too stressful. He eats all his meals in his room. It's a shame about your hubby but we can only be resposible for ourselves and make our own choices. I wholeheartedly wish you every success with the rest of your life. Take care

• 2 weeks later...

Archived