"Paleo" protein powder

MyWar

Apparently I am a jock, and I love protein powder. I powerlift, and its hard to get enough calories from food alone. Now that the W30 is over, I'm looking for a more convenient quick protein source than boiled eggs and fruit. I've seen a few brands offering "beef protein" and the lifters on Lift Big Eat Big are pretty into this stuff. True Nutrition markets it as "paleo" (of course paleo and Whole 30 are two different things), and it seems fairly legit.

I'm not doing dairy, and I eat enough friggin eggs every day. Has anyone tried beef protein?

I'm desperately trying to find something as clean as possible (whey protein, but with no soy, little to no sugar). I'm thinking of trying Whey Factors or Designer Whey...but the bottom line is that no protein powder is ever going to be paleo, let alone whole30 approved :unsure:

I know it's not Whole30 approved, but I used to add Manitoba Hemp protein power to my shakes. Nutiva also makes a hemp protein power. It looks like Nutiva's is just hemp protein, so at least no added stuff like soy lecithin or sugar. I know there's a company that makes pea protein too, no idea what's up with that though. Again, not Whole30 but possibly could fit what you're looking for?

Couple of things:

1) as a weightlifter, I have never needed to resort to protein powder to make gains. Taco meat PWO, or just waiting until I got home has always been enough. People, especially strength athletes, overestimate their required protein intake.

2) I think there's a company that makes custom blends. Pure protein or something like that?

If I were to add anything to my stack, it wouldn't be protein, it would be BCAAs

Couple of things:

1) as a weightlifter, I have never needed to resort to protein powder to make gains. Taco meat PWO, or just waiting until I got home has always been enough. People, especially strength athletes, overestimate their required protein intake.

2) I think there's a company that makes custom blends. Pure protein or something like that?

If I were to add anything to my stack, it wouldn't be protein, it would be BCAAs

This makes sense, thank you. Since we're largely discouraged from tracking exactly how much of each macro we're eating (and I completely understand why), I haven't really ever figured out my average intake. I know the general formula is 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, but that seems almost impossible for your average office working woman. Should I stick with the W30 meal template but add in little balanced macro snacks?

Also Renee, what are your thoughts on the Zone? Psychotic or useful?

Hah! Psychotic. :) No, honestly. it takes every neurotic tendency that Type A personalities already has and turns them up to 11 for very little benefit. Most practitioners (Robb, M&D, Amy Kubal, etc) have found that their athletes perform as well if not better doing unweighed Paleo vs. Paleo/Zone.

For your average person that's just trying to be healthier with a healthy relationship with food...sticking with the meal template until you're comfortable judging your daily intake is more than enough of a weighing exercise. Period.

Now, I know you aren't in that category, so your context DOES change things. While this forum (even in the Post W30 section) can't support non-W30 questions, I will say that I think there's value in knowing what 1lb per body weight/protein LOOKS like, just to make sure you're getting there.

Personally, I've used the Zone in this way, just because I find the block system (as a failed Zoner) easier to calculate quickly, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole if I didn't already have the numbers in my head. I'd take my BW, 165, and figure out how much protein that turns into over the course of one day. It's like 5 eggs, 8 oz of meat at each other meal, plus a small 2-3oz mini meal Pre or PostWO.

NOW, wanna know what 8oz usually is? 2 palms!!! M&D have ALREADY THOUGHT OF THIS! :) You're smaller than I am, so maybe you need 2.5 palms to get where you need to be, but, again, M&D have ALREADY THOUGHT OF THAT! They've always said to not feel constrained by the 1-2 palm guideline. If you're hungry or need more food, do 2.33 palms, or, if you're a 300lb solid hunk of strongman, why not pi palms?

So, I'd do the calc, figure out where you are currently and where you feel like you need to be...then use the meal template to get you there. Then, once you're used to what that looks like? STOP. And don't forget to listen to your body. I dropped my volume significantly last summer and still tried to eat my "normal" amount of food. UGH...it was PAINFUL. I dreaded meals. And guess what? I got fluffy. Trust what it's telling you. If it doesn't want all that protein, it probably doesn't need all that protein, even if that's what conventional broscience will tell you.

Just my $.02

Archived