Supplements for those who WANT to be pregnant one day

Hi! I'm a 30 and hoping to one day have kids, but none yet. I know that it is reccomended for women of child bearing age to take vitamins--especially folic acid. I currently take a women's multi-vitamin (soy free) as well as fish oil daily. Anyone have any reccomendations for specific brands or other supplements that would be good for someone like myself to be taking. We are approximately 2 years out from wanting to have kids.

Thanks! Have a wonderful day!

Faith

I think that the best thing you can do to prepare your body for pregnancy is to be healthy. Eat good foods, be active, and be aware of your cycle. You are taking a daily mulitvitamin which is great. You could switch to a prenatal vitamin closer to when you start trying to conceive, but otherwise, just focusing on overall health is the best thing for you and your future baby. Prior to getting pregnant, you may be interested in starting to chart your basal temperatures. It really allows you to learn how your cycle works and if you have any issues with ovulation, leutal phase, etc. That way you will know if there are any issues starting out and also when you ovulate during the month which will help you know when is the best time to get pregnant.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility is an excellent book.

I struggled for over two years to get pregnant. I saw primary care doctors, OB's and ultimately reproductive endocrinologists. I wish I had known more about the process starting out, because I would have been much more of an advocate for myself.

Not sure if this is totally not what you were looking for, but I just thought I would share.

I second the Taking Charge of Your Fertility recommendation! A great book to learn more about your cycles. Also teaches you how to use the Fertility Awareness Method, great for knowing the best time to have sex in order to conceive, but also great to know when NOT to have sex (or use condoms) when not trying to conceive. FAM got me off hormonal birth control.

Yes, I think you're supposed to start the prenatals about three months out of trying to get pregnant.

Also, might I recommend getting into yoga. Yoga was SO helpful for me during labor. I swear it made all the difference in the world. Or, if you're not into yoga, squat all the way to the floor a few times everyday and do kegels. Those two things alone are so valuable when you're in labor.

Good luck in the future! Kids are amazing. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived