Rhonda's Whole 30: 6/16 - 7/15

Rhonda

DD told me she's cut back on pizza and has been eating her beloved Arby's beef and cheddars, etc without the buns lately and has really noticed a decrease in stomach bloating and upset! I'm so excited!! I've long suspected she has a bit of a gluten allergy - but of course she's also a huge carb addict....those two are often companions, I think! She's just a tiny thing, so no weight issues like mom, but she does have high blood pressure (at 20!), takes ADD meds and has the stomach problems - all of which MAY be helped by giving up wheat - it makes me very happy that she's finally giving gluten free life a shot!

yeah - I know beef and cheddars aren't exactly health food - but we gotta take baby steps!!

plan for today -

b - boiled egg and leftover cabbage stirfry

l - salad at Fountain of Juice

d - ribeye steak and broccoli salad

workout - yoga class

Finally, my allergy meds are working and I woke up headache free!

Started a new push up challenge with pals from another forum.....we do 1 the first day then work up to 31 on the 31st! So.......One pushup done! These first days always seem kind of funny, doing so few - but I know it will add up quickly!!

I also did Wk5D2 of my 5k plan. Today was 3 sets of 6 minute run and 2 minute walk.....I never knew 6 minutes was so darn long! I was using my new gear belt to hold my phone (I'm using a smartphone app for my timer) and I heard the chimes ok, but missed the halfway mark where I was supposed to turn around - so I ended up having a really long cooldown walk back to the car!

I'm halfway thru my Whole 30!! woot!!

Forgot to post yesterday: B - avocado and g beef, L - chicken and salad, D - chicken salad and fruit salad at a church dinner

Plan for today:

B - eggs

L - burger and slaw

D - meal map combo.....doing the weekly cookup this afternoon, will fry up a bunch of g beef, bake some chicken breasts and sweet potatoes, chop up some veggies and boil eggs - will make tonight's dinner during the frenzy!

Yesterday's food: B-boiled egg and cabbage L-leftover stirfry D-chicken salad and carrot ginger soup Workout: rest day

Plan for today: B-hot dog and avocado, L - green salad with chicken, D - squash with onions and bacon

Workout - 5k plan. I decided a 9 minute run was just too scary, so I dropped back to repeat Wk5D1......it was a lot easier than it was last week, so that's good news! Also did 3 push ups for my +1 pushup challenge (we do the same number as the date of the month)

Hot and rainy holiday here in GA...I think I will get some organizing done....

Plan for today:

B - eggs and hot dog w/cubanel peppers

L - buffalo chicken bites and salad

D - tinaktak stir fry

workout - bodyweight exercises including 4 pushups for the challenge!

Wk5D2 of my 5k program is done, again! I did talk back to my app (the voice is named Jim) a bit, using a few ugly words -- but I finished strong! After repeating these last couple of workouts, I feel ready to tackle that 9 minute run on Saturday!!! I also signed up for a real 5k on Aug 4, so that should motivate me to get on thru this!!

Doing my 5 pushups for July 5 as soon as I cool off a second....

Plan for today: leftover hamburger for breakfast, salad w/chicken for lunch, stirfry for dinner

Woke up way too early this morning - it's dark at 3:30! my brain just wouldn't shut up and let me go back to sleep....clearly I need to get some things sorted out so I can rest.....and maybe take some melatonin tonight...

tested my blood sugar for the first time in a long time - 101 - was really hoping it would be under 100 by now....sigh thinking I may ask the doc to order a new A1c, haven't had one in about a year (we moved to a new base shortly after the pre-diabetic diagnosis, and since records don't really get transferred I have to start all over again with the new clinic)....

Plan for today - B: porkchop and sweet potato L: salad with chicken D: thai curry bowl (ISWF)

workout - bodyweight exercises, including 6 pushups for today's challenge!

Wk5 of my 5k plan is complete! I kicked that 9 minute run in the booty! 2 weeks to go, with a TWENTY minute run to look forward to next week - eeeeeeeeek! I'll just keep going at my turtle pace and I'll do it! Will do my 7 pushups for July 7 in just a minute....

One more week of Whole 30 left......wine, cheese and chocolate were my big focus this time - I don't miss the wine at all (I'm really just a social drinker anyway) and dark chocolate will probably come back as a treat but cutting out the dairy has been a big deal!!! I can tell I feel better without it, so I'll probably leave that off when my 30 ends......

Plan for today: B: spinach and egg scramble, L: buffalo chicken salad (well fed), D: sweet potato hash (ISWF)

I downloaded Zombies, Run last night and really can't wait to run a mission - I've been waiting forever for the app to come out for android! Gotta figure out a way to mix it into my 5k and 10k plan...today is supposed to be a rest day but I may do a "walking' mission later!

Plan for today....B: eggs and guac L: salad with chicken D: bbq pork and squash

I've seen that app, looks fun, but I wonder how it effects your cortisol levels? I know some people in paleoland are dead against "chronic cardio" because it stresses your body, so throwing in zombies to the mix would surely add to that?

By my understanding, "chronic cardio" is a matter of training too much....from my reading in paleoland, it would seem that interval training with short sprints is very paleo - whether that comes in short spurts of running from zombies or pretending to chase down dinner!

Mission 1 of Zombies, Run is complete! It was super fun! Did it as a walk, just jogging a bit when the zombies got close - 3 zombie chases in about a 35 minute workout. The story is awesome, I can't wait to do another mission....but tomorrow I start Wk6 of my 5k program, so I'll have to wait for another "rest" day!

Plan for today B: eggs w/guac L: broccoli salad w/bacon D: chicken clafouti and veggies (primal blueprint cookbook)

Happy Monday!

Wk6D1 of my 5k plan is complete! TWO nine minute runs with just a tiny walk break in between - eek! Tough, but I just went slower when I needed to and got thru it just fine! Feeling ready for that 20 minute run coming up....

Plan for today: B - eggs w/guac L - green salad w/chicken D: steak and cucumber/tomato salad

fasting blood sugar was a bit higher today....111.....really need to call the doc to get an hbA1c ordered.....haven't had one in almost a year...

Plan for today - rest day for my 5k plan, will do my 11 pushups for the July challenge....looking forward to a 20 minute 'run' tomorrow! At least I finally figured out how to add music to the 'ease into 5k' app on my phone - so that should keep me distracted!

B: applegate dog and guac L: steak taco in a bowl D: pork roast and squash w/onion

found last year's A1c - 5.9 in June 11....calling clinic today to schedule new labs.....I appreciate that I have access to pretty much adequate medical care thru the air force, but it's such a pain when we get transferred as the medical records never get sent to the new base and I have to start over each time with a new doc....

sadly, they keep it all on the computer now - which one would think might make it EASIER to transfer?? but I do try to take good notes in my notebook and I keep that with me.....one day we'll quit moving around!

On another note - I'm so happy I reserved some bacon fat from earlier in the week.....it made the squash and onions even more delicious!!

20 minute run today! I did it! woot!

Small snafu with my running app - it crashed after the first song played. It's the first time I used it with music added, guess the app doesn't like my playlist? At any rate - since I wasn't doing intervals today, I really didn't need the timer function so I just switched over to Zombies, Run and did Mission 2 as my run. Just two zombie chases today...and the Mission was just about the perfect length! I did the 20 minutes and had just started my cooldown walk when it ended....

I was happy and feeling fast, so I'm glad the app problems didn't throw me off! On Saturday I'll finish up Wk6 of my program!

Food Plan for today: B - Eggs with guac, L - salad w/chicken, D - stirfry of some sort...

gotta get my hair cut after work, so it'll be something fast and simple!

Still need to do 12 pushups for my July daily challenge!

Plan for today:

blueberry scramble for breakfast

Just wondering...what is in this blueberry scramble? Do you put the berries in your eggs? I was thinking of doing that one day this week. Making an omelet in the fashion of a pancake. Putting the berries into the eggs when they are about 1/2 done.

That's exactly it, Laura! A little cinnamon makes it into a real treat!

meeting up with the local scuba club folks tonight at Wild Wings.....not going to worry with eating there since just about everything is fried...will just have a small snack before, drink lots of water, and have a light supper after....plan to be busy talking over places to dive (at last! I've really missed it) - so who wants a full mouth!?!?

Plan for today - 13 pushups done for the daily challenge....B: scrambled eggs, L: salad w/chicken, D: tuna salad, veggies

Thanks Derval - I did sign up for a 5k on Aug 4! I'm looking forward to running the whole thing for the first time!!

Really busy today! the scuba club gathering was fun, though oddly - we really didn't talk much about diving?? but the folks were cool and no one noticed/cared that I was downing water and passing on the food! had a nice salad after, but got to bed much later than normal (11 instead of 9 makes a big difference!) so I slept in a little this morning - will do my run tomorrow instead!

Got the grocery shopping done early (I plan menus for 2 weeks and that way I only have to shop every other week - though I do get a weekly CSA delivery, so I just work whatever shows up into the menus).....visited a bit with our elderly neighbor just home from open heart surgery.....and I did two hours of yardwork and weeding! whew!

B was a blueberry scramble (since Laura reminded me!), L was applegate dogs with guac and salad, D will be the tuna salad and veggie soup that I postponed from last night! 14 pushups done for my July daily challenge.....had to split them into two sets this time!

so Whole 30 v 2.5 is over! Don't think much will change, except I'll start using butter and heavy cream again....and will cut back on fruit and sweet potatoes. I find that I give myself permission to eat too much of that during Whole 30s, I guess because I'm cutting out other things - but I know I don't lose when I eat the sweet stuff due to my blood sugar malfunctions. I didn't have that much to 'kick' this time besides dairy, and I think I feel in control now where cheese is concerned. But my tummy and skin both feel better so I won't be adding that back!!

didn't lose even an ounce this time....a couple of inches down on the measurements, but I'm blaming the 5k training and corresponding water retention more than the Whole30....always nice to drop a pound or two, of course, and I know it will catch up with me at some point!

Good luck to all the new Whole 30ers out there!

Archived