Paige's Whole30

pgmstr

Today is day 6 of my first Whole30, beginning Monday June 11.

About me:

I am a 27 year old wife and breastfeeding mom, I usually run about 2-3 miles at least 3 times a week and do some push-ups and ab work. I am 5'3" 115lbs. I'm still just getting into shape since having my baby 11 months ago. I have 3 kids and I'm working on strengthening my core so I can support my back better lifting and carrying as well as just having the energy to be a mom.

My goals are to get stronger, have better energy, and eat healthier.

Hoping that doing Whole30 will help me fight my sugar cravings and incorporate more vegetables into my life. I would like to feel better in general, but I feel pretty healthy but not strong.

I usually would eat oatmeal, yogurt, trail mix, bittersweet chocolate chips, sandwiches, and some fruit and veggies, whole grains, and very rarely eat out or drink soda.

After eating a bajillion pounds of sugar last weekend, I decided to jump right in on Monday instead of waiting until August when we will be more settled.

Days 1-5

My first 3 days I was exhausted, I ate big meals but was very hungry between meals and snacks. I seriously needed food every hour and didn't always have more than a handful of nuts or a piece of an apple. I had a hard time getting creative with snacks. By Wednesday morning I was lightheaded and shaking although I've never eaten so much food in my life! After breakfast though I started to feel better and I prepared way more food but didn't need as much. Since then have been regaining my energy although I still don't have my strength back.

I didn't have the energy to exercise since Monday, but this morning I could run/walk a couple miles. Very sad and disappointing. I broke down completely, but my husband made me feel better. :)

I've been eating

breakfast-omelets/scrambled eggs with guac and pico, and chicken or pork sausage for breakfast, or sweet potato fritters

lunch- leftovers, or chicken on salad/veggies

dinners-

almond chicken fried in coconut oil on salad

stir fry; fried ground beef, portabella mushrooms, zucchini, onions, and homemade spaghetti sauce on spaghetti squash

thai kitchen green curry as seasoning with a million veggies stir fry and chicken -seriously I chopped veggies for 2 hours

thai curry with fresh coconut milk

fried "rice" cauliflower with veggies- cabbage, veggies, onions, etc.

snacks-

mixed nuts

almond butter and fruit

raisons

homemade larabars

a vegetable or fruit

Foods I had never purchased before this week: dates, spaghetti squash, almond meal, fresh coconut, cauliflower

Sleep- I started sleeping more soundly and restfully Wednesday night and thereafter, but I'm getting about 6-7 hours of interrupted sleep so I'm crossing my fingers for better sleep next week.

Thanks for reading!

Paige

• Moderators

Hi Paige,

The hunger and weakness sounds like you were not getting enough calories. You seriously need to up the fat you consume when you cut grains out of your diet. Your meals sound pretty good, but you might need to make sure the volume of protein and fat is higher. If you are eating protein the size of one of your palms, try eating a portion the size of both palms. And use good olive oil or coconut oil generously.

When I started doing Whole30s in 2010, I needed to eat 5-6 times per day, but in the last few months I have become comfortable eating just 3 times per day (if I hold my 3rd meal until 7 or 8 pm). I no longer need to snack at all, but I eat big meals when I eat.

Thanks Tom- That does sound like a lot of protein! I will keep working on it. Sometimes it's hard to know what to eat instead of what first comes to mind. I don't usually think of protein when I'm hungry, I think of "snack" food as lighter foods.

Paige

You know, I was eating guac on my eggs, too -- then I ditched it and just started eating half an avocado. :) I used to snack between meals, like Tom was saying...now I eat three meals a day, with 1-2 cups of veggies, 1.5 palms of proteins, and a thumb-sized portion of fat (or an avocado) each. So breakfast this morning was an egg casserole (~2.25 eggs, 2 oz ground beef, 1.5 oz sausage, 1/3 of a zucchini per serving).

Just make sure you're getting enough good fats -- try throwing a half of an avocado on your salads, or olives if you like them. Make some homemade mayo and incorporate that into tuna and chicken salads. A good snack might be something like what Mel from theclothesmakethegirl.com recommends in Well Fed -- a chicken tender or two, sliced up bell peppers or carrots, and some dipping sauce (homemade ranch dressing is THE BOMB).

Good luck!

Thank you Paichka! Plus I love your name. I think I will do so much better the next time I start a whole30 or 15 because I will make homemade mayo and cook up some meals in advance to have on hand. Lately I've been scavenging in my own kitchen eating an apple and then a carrot and nuts here and there trying to get full. Obviously this is bad but I've gotten into a cooking paleo rut.

I'm moving tomorrow but I'm excited to make some homemade mayo after the move, and ranch and do more cooking.

Thanks again,

Paige

Archived