Ridiculous question re: beets

gatork

Ok, this is a ridiculous and silly question, but how does everyone make beets? I have a bunch of beet recipes and I love beets, but every time I have made anything...my entire kitchen, and hands, and parts of clothing...are stained for days!

Just wondering if there are any tips or secrets:)

Love beets! So good. I like them cold. I roast them in the oven (do not peel - just wrap in aluminum foil) and then chill them in the fridge. Peel before eating, which is messy but worth it. Oh, and be careful about how much of them you eat, because your hands aren't the only things that will take on that color, if you know what I mean (think bathroom - that's all I'm gonna say).

It washes off my hands, it doesn't stain. I peel and eat them raw. Maybe they stain when they're cooked but not when they're raw?

My hands look stained until I wash them with soap and water and then they're clean.

If you roast them in foil, maybe you could use paper towels to rub the peel off?

Terez

• Moderators

My favorite thing is to boil beets in salty water without peeling them for 30 or 40 minutes, run cold water on them to reduce the heat to a manageable level, and them manipulate them in my hands to work the skins off of them. After boiling for a while, the skin comes off easily. Then I put the beets in fresh water with some bratwurst sausage and bring it to a slow simmer. The bratwurst (at least what I buy) needs 20 minutes of simmering to cook through. The flavor of the bratwurst enters the beets and then I have bratwurst and beets with a little mustard smeared on the sausages. Here is a recipe with a picture... http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2011/11/boiled-beets-and-wilted-greens-with-bratwurst-and-mustard/

I think my favorite way is just to roast them--peel raw beets and cut them into chunks, toss them in some oil (I use coconut), sprinkle on some salt and roast them in the oven for about 20 minutes. I also eat them in salad.

I do this then pack them in a jar with more evoo and balsamic and store in fridge.

The only thing I know to tell you is to wear gloves. Beets are messy...they just are. They're delicious and nutritious, and my favorite way to eat them, like somebody else mentioned, is to roast them skins and all, then peel them (it's easy when they're cooked) and toss with some EVOO, maybe some orange juice and green onions, whatever makes you happy that day. Enjoy them, and think about all the good nutrients you're getting as you scrub your pink fingernails! :-)

It's less messy to peel them, and easier to cut them, if you roast them first. Wash them, trim off the little root bits, put them on foil, sprinkle liberally with salt and drench with olive oil, roll the foil up to make a packet, and roast them until cooked through. Then the peeling slips right off and there's not so much fresh juice to deal with.

I bake them in the oven (layer of salt on the baking tray, wrap in foil, pierce with knife several times, bake for an 2 hours @315).

1. You can marinate them .

2. My favorite salads:

- Beets/zuccini/turnips/any other baked root veg + raspberry dressing (puree raspberry+evoo+vinegar+salt)

- Beets + mashed avocado + lime+parsley

- Beets + sauteed onions/green beans/tomatoes + pine nuts (optional) + dressing of choice

3. Amazing beets soup, perfect for summer - just puree baked beets + onions + garlic + raspberry + vinegar + olive oil.

I can share exact proportions if anyone is interested.

The thought just occurred to me...what about eating the skins? Has anyone tried? Off to Google I go. :)

Let me know what you'll find out! I've been eating them with skin...I just scrub them VERY thoroughly before baking. I hope I wasn't consuming some nasty stuff :)

Love beets! So good. I like them cold. I roast them in the oven (do not peel - just wrap in aluminum foil) and then chill them in the fridge. Peel before eating, which is messy but worth it. Oh, and be careful about how much of them you eat, because your hands aren't the only things that will take on that color, if you know what I mean (think bathroom - that's all I'm gonna say).

I prepare beets just like Bruce Springsteen, er I mean Jayelle, does!

and I love the warning :) !

Ok, I was hoping this thread would answer my stupid beets question I've been too embarrassed to ask - if you make beets from a can, do you heat them up or serve them at room temperature? We had them for the first time a few weeks ago and I couldn't figure out to do with them, lol. Taste pretty good either way, but I figured there's probably a "right" answer to this question.

Ok, I was hoping this thread would answer my stupid beets question I've been too embarrassed to ask - if you make beets from a can, do you heat them up or serve them at room temperature? We had them for the first time a few weeks ago and I couldn't figure out to do with them, lol. Taste pretty good either way, but I figured there's probably a "right" answer to this question.

There really isn't a right answer. You can eat them hot, cold or room temp. :)

Okay the beet experiment is on. I have 8 baby golden beets in my oven. Half peeled and half with the skin on. I am going to peel at least one or two after roasting to see if that is easier and the other two I am eating with the skin on. They are organic. I did not wrap them in foil because a trusted source said that is more like steaming. I'll let you all know how they are. :)

Okay the beet experiment is on. I have 8 baby golden beets in my oven. Half peeled and half with the skin on. I am going to peel at least one or two after roasting to see if that is easier and the other two I am eating with the skin on. They are organic. I did not wrap them in foil because a trusted source said that is more like steaming. I'll let you all know how they are.

Can't wait to hear results. I agree about the steaming in foil thing. That thought occurred to me just last week.

Can't wait to hear results. I agree about the steaming in foil thing. That thought occurred to me just last week.

Omg...they were incredible. I liked the ones with the skin on better. I rubbed coconut oil, salt and pepper and roasted them at 400 drgrees for 50 minutes. We gobbled them like candy. I had visions of making a balsamic glaze for them but they were gone in a flash. They were the size of a golf ball. I will try this with the big ones next. The little ones had the greens still attached so I have those to cook up tomorrow.

I don't peel my beets either. I just chop them to manageable chunks, toss with EVOO and some sea salt and garlic, and roast at 400F for about 45 minutes or so. Yum!

They are also AWESOME when grilled. Scrub, don't peel. Slice into equal thickness (maybe 1/2 inch?) and grill. Or you can marinade in the fridge before grilling, too.

When we grow beets - we grow the candy stripe ones. They are less staining and they taste the same (though I doubt you can buy them at any grocery store!) http://www.territorialseed.com/product/553

Omg...they were incredible. I liked the ones with the skin on better. I rubbed coconut oil, salt and pepper and roasted them at 400 drgrees for 50 minutes. We gobbled them like candy. I had visions of making a balsamic glaze for them but they were gone in a flash. They were the size of a golf ball. I will try this with the big ones next. The little ones had the greens still attached so I have those to cook up tomorrow.

So glad you did this beet experiment! I'm going to attempt this weekend...

• 1 year later...

I love beets! My favorite way to cook them is remove the skin and chop into bite size pieces and sauté them in leftover fat from either duck or red meat. Even better with onions and garlic in there too. If I don't want to sauté them then I will chop them up and coat them in coconut oil and bake them at 375 until tender. So good!

Archived