Oh, it is ON --martihana60

martihana60

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 22

Yesterday, when I realized the chili was a little stronger and a little soupier than I liked it, I jarred in separate containers most of the chili, minus most of the "broth." And then I tossed six chicken thighs in the crockpot with the chili broth and just let it cook another 10 hours. So I now have chicken and beef chocolate chili!

But I digress. Snack this late morning was two more of those tiny chicken thighs like the ones I had for breakfast.

Today's lunch was the original chili, and its flavor is growing on me a bit. I think I can work with the recipe and just tone it down a little. I also had some leftover roasted vegetables from 2 nights ago.I expected reheated roasted veggies to be less than yummy but they were still pretty good. And I had some leftover cole slaw from breakfast this morning.

I also had one cup of coffee, at work, with a little coconut oil melted into it. Not quite bulletproof without the blending. Let's just call it "bullet-resistant!"

More later. I'm about to leave the office and head for home.

Day 22 Dinner. Was looking in the fridge at all the meat I still need to break into 1 serving packages, and I remembered the steak. A lovely little piece of grass-fed beefsteak. I tenderized it with a mallet made for that purpose, and pan fried it. A little salt and it was yummy! Had a side of warm, diced tomatoes with ghee and another of cole slaw--onion and cabbage grated with mayo and acv. Very happy camper. THEN I got into the almond butter. With a spoon. An acceptable food, but I ate too much.

Tomorrow's a brand new day!

megmac, I would think that if you're accustomed to black coffee, adding coconut oil/butter and blending it may not be your thing. I previously used half 'n half or heavy cream and sweetener in my coffee. I would say perhaps more than being about flavor, the bulletproof coffee is about mouth feel. Fat is wonderful stuff. In addition to giving us appropriate calories to feed on, it also makes food feel lovely in our mouths. If one is accustomed to creamy coffee, black coffee feels weird. And yes, I do indeed put it in the blender. I have a one-mug brewer that makes about 14 oz of coffee. As the coffee is brewing, I put about a tablespoon (combined) of ghee and coconut oil on a spoon in the mug. Then I dump it all in the blender and whip it for about 20 seconds. It does wonders for the feel of the coffee. I had "bulletproof coffee" this morning, but I still miss my sweetener!

Day twenty-freakin-three! Woo hoo!

I keep losing track of what day it is and having to check my calendar. Is that a good thing?

For breakfast I had about a palm-and-a-half sized beef burger (but thinner than usual) and the rest of the diced tomatoes from yesterday. Oddly enough, I thought about breakfast in terms of color this morning, and decided I needed some green. Heh! So I shredded a couple of kale leaves, treated them with olive oil, garlic powder, balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt. Though a little chewy, it was better than I expected.

Make that bulletproof coffee and drank it in the car on my commute to work.

I feel fairly good today, though I haven't had enough sleep in the past three nights.

xacerbate, have fun with the chili. Mine was a bit unexpected, I guess, but I'm still eating it, and I think I can work with the recipe to just tone it down a little.

More later.

I think it's a VERY good sign that you are losing track of what day you are on! In my own experience, that's a good indication that you are making this part of your life, rather than just a "diet" with a beginning and an end. It took me 2 complete W30s to figure that out!

Thanks for the info about the coffee. I actually understand completely about the "feel", because that is exactly what I don't like about cream in my coffee. It tastes fine, but I hate the way it feels in my mouth. I never thought anyone would understand that. :)

I have the same feeling about chocolate chili. I make mine with about 1/3 of the cocoa powder and find that I like it much better.

Day twenty-freakin-three, continued.

I've been reading several somewhat cryptic posts regarding "emergency protein," and wondering if that was a thing. I think I found out today. I forgot to bring a burger to work today for my mini-meal, so all I had was vegetables. Oh, but wait! There's that can of sardines in my desk! Emergency protein!

So my late-morning mini-meal was sardines plus raw cauliflower, red pepper, and carrots.

Lunch was a serving of chili and the rest of the raw veggies. Fell asleep at my desk about 1.5 hours after lunch. I NEVER do that! Since I needed either a nap or a cuppa coffee, and a nap was out since I was *at work*, I made a second cup of coffee and melted some coconut oil into it. It really helped.

Dinner is awesome. I made my Chicken Steampot: sliced onion, chopped carrot, chopped chicken thighs (raw), and chunked cauliflower. Heat up some water in a pan with a lid that will accommodate your steamer basket. Put onions, carrot, and chicken in the steamer, put the lid on, and let it cook for 5 minutes. Add cauli and steam for 7-8 more minutes. Cauli goes in later so it doesn't turn to mush.

After cooking, dress it with ghee, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and a splash of fresh lemon juice. I love this dish. The vegetables are sweet and subtle when you steam them, and then the dressing really brings it alive. Photo below.

megmac, I think the chili recipe is workable, and reducing the cocoa powder would be my first step.

post-14650-0-51565600-1362017267_thumb.j

Eileen, the steampot also works very well with a mild white fish, like tilapia, in place of the chicken. And I suspect other vegetables could be switched out, too. I've made it with cabbage before, and a little kale, but for my taste, the carrot and onions are essential.

Good Mornin' Day 24!

I got up late, was hurried and stressed, and did not have time to make breakfast. So I just did it anyway. Fried up a little ground beef and onion and scrambled three eggs into it. Managed to slice some daikon radish, cut up some red sweet pepper, bag a few olives, and grab two containers of chili out of the fridge and freezer. So I managed to take care of breakfast, brunch, and lunch!

Feeling weird and panicky today. :o Don't know what that's about, and my blood sugar was high this morning, higher than it should have been. Diet's been good, so numbers should not be high.

Later.

I jut discovered your log for the first time, and read all the way through. I very much enjoy your writing style, and your fabulous sense of fun.

I had to wonder early on if you might have come over here after doing Atkins for some length of time. It struck me because your initial reaction to hunger was exactly what 2 years on that plan had trained me to do: grab some protein. Old habits die hard, and it was a bit of a struggle to convince my brain to snack on something more than straight protein.

As for the chocolate chili, I have never made it in the crockpot. The actual recipe calls for it to simmer uncovered for 2 hours, which cuts down on the liquid. I do hear you on the spice issue, though. I have gotten used to it, but like it better if I finely chop a half an avocado into it. Gives me my needed fat, and seems to cut the spice load down.

Good luck with your continued adventure on the road to better health.

Hi Maryann, thanks for the encouragement. I've done every diet out there, including Atkins, MacDougall, Scarsdale, Weight Watchers, you name it. Now, no more dieting. I just want to get healthy. I figure once I do that, the weight loss will come. I'm glad you're enjoying my posts. Stick around, 'kay?

Day 24, continued. Brunch was a smaller serving of chili with a few bites each of red pepper, daikon radish, and olives. Lunch was a larger serving of chili and the rest of the pepper, radish and Olives. Somewhere in there (between brunch and lunch?) I had a cup of coffee with a little coconut oil melted into it.

I'm tired, and I'm going to bed. G'night!

Day 25!

Breakfast today is 2 tiny chicken thighs, 2 fried eggs, and half a plate of cauliflower mash with ghee. And I *will* make some of that bulletproof coffee before I leave for work.

And I am hatching a dastardly plot. Have you noticed how I whimper almost every day about missing sweetener in my coffee? I may have a W30-compliant solution to that problem.

More later, after I see if it works. It might be SWYPO, or it might just be a brilliant idea!

Day 25 continued

Brunch was the larger of two servings of chocolate chili. I got a late start today and did not bring vegetables.

I had one cup of coffee with 2 tsp coconut oil melted in.

Lunch was the smaller of two servings of chocolate chili, and it was quite late, close to 4:30 pm when I ate.

Dinner was three little chicken thighs and a big serving of sauteed cabbage.

I'm getting very close to writing a sonnet about cabbage, I love it so much. I just need three words that rhyme with cabbage, a bunch of words that rhyme with grated, and a few hundred other words, and I'll be all set.

And that dastardly plot having to do with some impossibly clever, compliant way to sweeten coffee? It's coming right along. I'll need another day before I'm sure it works.

Good night now. Be good while I'm gone.

Day 26! I can't believe I'm so close to DOING this!

Breakfast was 1 chicken thigh, 2 fried eggs, and sweet potato hash browns. Was going to sautee a few greens with onion, but the rest of breakfast was done before I remembered I'd wanted greens!

Making bulletproof coffee now. ;) And I'll be back later.

Archived