Oh, it is ON --martihana60

martihana60

i want to hear this dastardly plot and am wondering if it was the same thing i had thought up then decided to drop, thinking it could be SWYPO almost as quickly as i had thought it up... i love cabbage, too. i didn't read all of your log, but a lot of it...have you tried slicing the cabbage and placing it on a cookie sheet with a drizzle of olive or coconut oil some sea salt and fennel and roasting...incredibly yummy...i need to buy some on my next grocery trip. you are doing awesome!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh, the dastardly plot! Well it's not quite as sweet as I thought it might be, but it does sweeten the coffee just slightly. Think of a fruit that has, say, the same "pitch and tone" as coffee, but is simply sweeter. Now think of a dried fruit.

In the blender: fresh brewed coffee, tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil or both, and . . . . wait for it . . . two stewed prunes!

Made the coffee this way once yesterday and twice today. It's not sweetener, though it's an improvement, but I think I might need to limit this version to once a day or less. So far have had no unpleasant digestive effects. Maybe I need the prunes. My fruit count on this program has been very low. Besides tomatoes and avocado, I've only had a few berries.

You decide: SWYPO or clever W30 compliance.

Day 26 continued

I got busy around the house today, so I ended up not having brunch.

Lunch was an apple and a chicken thigh.

Dinner was chicken thighs (3, they're small) and some panbroiled brussels sprouts with onions, pecans, and a final splash of balsamic vinegar.

And I've got a small pot of ginger peach tea brewing. No prunes in that!

Eileen, I might have to try half a date. Or even a whole one! I'm so pleased with how well I've done on the program that I don't want to shake things up too much, but it might be worth a try.

And because I'm up so durned late (already into Day 27!), I had a "snack" of some cauliflower mash. It was good and just what I needed.

NOW, it's bedtime! And tomorrow's a brand new day.

Dates are what i had been thinking...i think if you place a date in the blender then add a little water to make it a smooth paste before adding anything else it works better. then trying to toss it in with a lot of liquid. i have decided i actually rather like the black coffee, but had been considering doing this if i really couldn't stand having non sweet coffee...it could be SWYPO, though.

So who would tell us whether it is SWYPO or not? I think I'll ask about this in the "Can I have . . . ?" thread.

And a little hot liquid should help the date soften and blend. So maybe put 1/4 of that cup of coffee in the blender with the date.

I think I may prowl around the "Can I have" thread and see if dates are already covered. If dates are allowed, even sparingly, on their own, then I'd think one in my coffee once in awhile should be okay. I'm sure the caution is to NOT wake up the sugar dragon. Dates, I'm sure, could be overused to keep that dragon alive.

I think while I figure this out, I'll have me some unsweetened bulletproof coffee. I'm gladly suffering a housecleaning frenzy this weekend.

About my blood sugar:

I am a non-insulin-dependent diabetic. I take oral medication and have been trying to control my blood sugar with diet and what puny exercise I get.

The "magic number" for fasting morning blood sugar is 120 mg/dL. Above that is not good, at or below that is good.

On Day 2 of my W30, my fasting morning blood sugar (lets call it FAMBS) was 167. This morning it was 116.

YAY!

Now, I want to see if I can close in on normal NON-diabetic number, which is under 100. Adding a regular program of moderate exercise could really make a difference.

About my blood sugar:

I am a non-insulin-dependent diabetic. I take oral medication and have been trying to control my blood sugar with diet and what puny exercise I get.

The "magic number" for fasting morning blood sugar is 120 mg/dL. Above that is not good, at or below that is good.

On Day 2 of my W30, my fasting morning blood sugar (lets call it FAMBS) was 167. This morning it was 116.

YAY!

Now, I want to see if I can close in on normal NON-diabetic number, which is under 100. Adding a regular program of moderate exercise could really make a difference.

That is excellent! I would keep away from dates if you want to hit that magic 99, they are little sugar bombs. The small ones I have - not medjool, about half or less the size, work out at c.5g - ie a teaspoon, of sugar each.

I think you are okay with dates, in moderation. Be careful, though, they are sugar bombs. 64g of sugar each! I don't eat them on their own because of this, but some of us use them sparingly in things like srirachi sauce and paleo ketchup. Once you've gone without sugar for so long, a very little goes a long way. I treat them like I do fruit juices--as part of a condiment or marinade, but not on their own. Someone posted a few days ago about eating a cup of dates and asking if that was wrong. Tom's response was that it was the equivalent of 1000 calories of pure sugar. Yikes!

Thanks, all. I've decided this morning that what I'm doing with the prunes in coffee is what I'll stay with for now. It does not produce a sugar rush and then crash or a desire for sweets, and frankly, I think my intestines are likin' the prunes. Maybe when I've completed my whole45, I'll try a date in my coffee instead for a couple of mornings in a row and just see how it goes.

Or maybe I'll re-up for another 15 days! Woo hoo!

Incidentally, today is DAY 27!

And for breakfast I had 3 scrambled eggs, 1 beef hotdog chopped up in the scramble, and a big side order of cabbage and onions. Will make either soup or chili later today for lunches during the week, I cooked up extra hot dogs for brunches (with sauerkraut, raw onions, and a bit of dijon mustard!)

For my grocery shopping this week I'm thinking about trying more fish and some veggies I don't eat as often. Like asparagus, and roasted onions with summer squashes and red peppers, like I made once during the past 10 days or so. And I'd like to branch out with some varied leafy greens and salads. Some of the greens from my tabletop garden are just about ready for harvest.

Thanks, Emmie. Welcome. I'm glad you like my blog.

Today I did not have brunch. This happens fairly often when I have breakfast a little late. I had Lunch of chicken thighs and a few daikon radish slices. For dinner, I made a tuna and egg salad with fresh homemade mayo and I sliced the rest of the daikon. I had two cups of coffee today and have been busy doing housework.

Now it's time for Finding Bigfoot. Heh! And maybe a cup of tea.

Have a great start to the work week, folks. Tomorrow's a brand new day.

Day 28. Woo hoo!

Breakfast: tuna and egg salad with homemade mayo, and a handful of daikon radish slices.

Brunch: 2 beef hotdogs (W30 compliant), sauerkraut and fermented carrots, raw onion, mustard and a little mayo.

My joints have been feeling pretty good these past few days.

Day 28 continued

Lunch was that last serving of chocolate chili I found in the freezer. Woo hoo!

And dinner was a wonderful one-dish meal. I chunked up about 1/4 of a medium-large white onion, I had some brussels sprouts already cleaned and quartered, and I had chicken thighs. I chopped up the chicken, sauteed the onion and chicken in coconut oil and ghee in a hot skillet, put the brussels sprouts in and stirred them up for just a minute or two, then turned it all down to low heat and let it simmer for about 5-7 minutes. A little salt, a little garlic powder, it was yummy! See photo below.

And I brought work home with me tonight. On deadline for the magazine, so off I go!

post-14650-0-77297800-1362449010_thumb.j

Thanks, Kairiki. Glad to have you watchin' my back.

A quick post before I leave this morning. It's going to be a long stressful day, so I'm making sure I have good food to take along for the ride.

Breakfast is one dark-meat turkey burger, two hardboiled eggs with mayo, and a batch of rather overcooked cabbage.

Packed for both brunch and lunch are two more turkey burgers, 4 hard boiled eggs, a chopped carrot and some olives. And if the cabbage is edible, I'll take the leftover cabbage.

Thinking I MUST have bulletproof coffee this morning.

Later, all! I hope your day (and mine) is mahvelous!

Pa

This is Day 29. As I expected earlier today, my brunch was a turkey burger, some raw carrot, and a couple of olives, and two hard-boiled eggs. Lunch was a repeat. Today was pretty stressful, but I got through it quite well, except that I got really uncomfortably hungry between brunch and lunch. Does stress do that to you?

I stopped at the health food store on my way home. Bought 1 red pepper, 1 each tiny green and yellow summer squashes, 1 bunch of asparagus, and meat: tilapia, beef steak, ground beef, and a pair of lambchops.

Chopped up half of the two squashes, about 1/4 of the red pepper, and about 1/4 of a white onion. Fried them in coconut oil and then stuck them in the oven under the broiler. Meanwhile, I cooked two of the small steaks I bought.

AND I am most proud of the tiny (about 4 bites) salad with greens and herbs harvested from my tabletop garden in the livingroom. See the photos!

Tomorrow, Day 30, will probably be a snow day! Yay I've still got work to do, but will be able to do it from home. On Day 30 I will also finish off the last two eggs I have and probably the last of the ghee as well, to cook the eggs in. Then I will quit both ghee and eggs, in addition to the regular W30 no-nos, for the following 15 days.

Ciao for niao! Tomorrow's a brand new day.

post-14650-0-44054200-1362533690_thumb.j

post-14650-0-36721500-1362533691_thumb.j

Day 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm at home because of the snow. Breakfast was the last of the little steaks I bought yesterday, 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hashbrowns, and a serving of sauteed onion, cabbage, and kale.

Then a mug of my prune-sweetened bulletproof coffee. It was good. I am sated. Now there is work to do.

Tomorrow, Day 31, I will write a little about my Whole30 experience, the concerns I've had and especially the successes I see.

So do I get kicked out of this form after 30 days?

Archived