Day 8, Breastfeeding, Detoxing too hard?

Kate

Hi everyone:)

I'm new to the forum, though not new to the paleo world. I began following the GAPS diet almost 2.5 years ago (healng protocol similar to paleo) and transitioned to a more primal diet over the last year while i was pregnant.

I decided to do the whole30 because i'm having some serious migraine issues and this is my last effort to clear them with diet.

Pretty much the only thing I've changed was cutting out dairy and not taking little nibbles of "illegals" here and there, but holy moly I feel like crap (I've been here before when going on GAPS and when revisiting the intro)!

I wouldn't worry except that Im nursing my five month old and afraid it may cause him problems?

I'm brain foggy, exhausted, achey, peeing a ton (weird?).

I really didn't expect such a strong reaction from such a small change especially since I've been eating REALLY clean for so long!

Does anyone have suggestions, advice, opinions?

Thank you!!

Did you up your food intake or just subtract the dairy? The baby is going to get what he needs, but if you don't have enough calories or nutrients, your body will rob you to take care of him. My guess is you need more food.

The first few days I maybe wasn't eating enough, but I've since upped my food intake drastically. I'm using coconut oil. coconut milk, Taking liver, eating bone broth- I don't think calories are the issue. I've lost 5 lbs! (Still have 7 more to lose before the baby weight is off, but I think this is too fast,)

I feel like I'm just peeing out all the water I drink....

Are you using salt? Are you eating anything new that you didn't eat before? Are you taking any medications that might be causing these issues (or reacting with something new in your diet)?

As for the baby, so long as you're eating enough (like you say) and enough variety, the baby is going to be getting optimum nutrition. Shoot, even if you don't eat enough/get enough variety, your body will rob you to feed your baby. Also, the weight loss thing is not something I'd be freaking out about. Is this your first baby? It sounds like you're a new mom with all the worry. ;) It is possible the weight loss has nothing to do with changing what you're eating as some women just drop the weight automatically without much effort.

• Moderators

Many people who have been eating "Paleo" for several years are shocked when they feel bad at the start of a Whole30. The truth is that it takes only small amounts of some foods to make a huge difference in your body. Of course, that is why the Whole30 asks for 100 percent compliance... to really demonstrate what it is like to eat all healthy foods.

I'm glad to hear you upped your food intake. Many people don't eat enough at first. I'm glad to hear you are including coconut milk. Getting adequate fat is very important and coconut milk, avocados, and olives are great sources.

Nope, Second baby, I'm just a worrywart;) Not really worried about him getting adequate nutrition, just worried about dumping toxins into my milk! I don't think I'm eating anything new, maybe just more coconut. No medications.... So you think just ride it out? I guess I'm just surprised that cutting out just dairy ( and I wasn't even drinking milk!) would be so huge. Power of food, huh?

Thanks Tom! GAPS is the same way, it requires 100% compliance, which I did until I got pregnant last year. Guess I didn't realize how much I was letting slip in to my diet. It's really incredible what food can do...tiny amounts of food even! I'm going to go make a shake with coconut milk and avocados:)

Archived