Speaking of coffee...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh that's true. I forget it's a PNW thing to be coffee crazy. We have a place downtown that is supposed to sell the best beans but I haven't been yet.

What's PNW?

Yes, we have Illy out here, too, in the regular groceries and WF. Since I live in the Philly area, there's a local brewer named La Colombe. I'll try their beans, too.

I just mean, why can't we be Europe? LOL. (joking)

Sorry Anham. Pacific Northwest. Both Portland and Seattle are coffee crazy. The first Starbucks store is in Seattle near Pikes Place public market and we have lots of small independant coffee store. Some of them roast their own beans on the premises and source their beans very carefully with fair trade in mind. Just in my little walking area alone, there are 4 Starbucks and the little place that only uses Illy coffee. Pretty cool for coffee lovers which I have given up for my W100. :)

I love Bulletproof coffee. Just don't make the mistake of not blending it - YUCK!

Here is the recipe: http://well.bradrourke.com/2012/12/how-i-make-bulletproof-coffee/

Just make sure you use ghee/clarified butter instead of Kerrygold.

Also, I didn't buy from the site and got some coffee beans from a local, high quality roaster.

Susan - don't know if you realize this, but the beans used for Bulletproof coffee are roasted here in Portland. On the bag, it mentions a Portland roaster but not which one. It kills me to pay to have them shipped from the east coast when they were roasted somewhere around the corner from me!

It's good coffee, but it's not the best I've ever had by any stretch of the imagination.

I do agree that coffee quality matters MUCH more when you are drinking it black. I was surprised to discover that I prefer it much stronger when drinking it black. I would have expected it to be the other way around (ie, make it watery and make it easier to drink!) but was shocked to find out that an extra scoop in the coffee maker improved the taste.

Susan - don't know if you realize this, but the beans used for Bulletproof coffee are roasted here in Portland. On the bag, it mentions a Portland roaster but not which one. It kills me to pay to have them shipped from the east coast when they were roasted somewhere around the corner from me! It's good coffee, but it's not the best I've ever had by any stretch of the imagination. I do agree that coffee quality matters MUCH more when you are drinking it black. I was surprised to discover that I prefer it much stronger when drinking it black. I would have expected it to be the other way around (ie, make it watery and make it easier to drink!) but was shocked to find out that an extra scoop in the coffee maker improved the taste.
Wait...seriously? That's crazy. But we can't get it direct from here? Phhhtttt Here is the local place that I have heard great things about, but I have not been. http://coavacoffee.com/

Let's plan to do it sometime in March, shall we? I'm on the road now and I'm doing a lot of traveling this month, but I'll be back home for good (and doing a Whole60) in March so it would be better timing for me. :)

Who else on here is from our area? I know I've seen others but I can't think of their forum names at the moment.

Joining this conversation a little late....

I second, third and fourth all the votes for coconut milk in the coffee! In my first whole 30 I learned, much to my suprise, I don't just love coffee I can and do love it more without any added sweetener!

I live in Louisiana now. In my rural area wal-mart is my only shopping option. I assure you wal-mart does not sell a quality coffee. Thank goodness for the internet! Last year, my job sent me for training for a week in Seattle. I was like a kid in a candy store. I am not exaggerating when I say I went to a different coffee shop (sometimes more!) every day of that trip! I was amongst my people! LOL

You know what Glc. Can we wait until april. I gave up coffee for my hundred days. I would love to partake in the real thing when my challenge is over. I'm not even drinking decaf because it seemed like SWYPO. :)

Ann is from this area too. I forget who else but we can start a thread and see who we find.

I bought a bag of upgraded coffee, and I don't like it. There's a sharp note to the flavor that I find disagreeable. I'm having my first cup each day bulletproof-style with ghee, and thinking that there's something wrong with the taste but I'm drinking it.

Then my second cup that I'm having black, I have just a few sips and never finish it. I've got my second up of today's coffee sitting there. Forced a few sips but it tastes "off" to me and I'm not enjoying it.

They guarantee it so I guess I'll ask for a refund.

Terez

Susan,

I bought the coffee from the Bulletproof Executive. It's their "Upgraded Coffee."

Terez

That is too bad! I liked the upgraded coffee, but it wasn't so great that I'd order more. I definitely don't recall a sour taste though (I do know what you mean, I've tasted that before). Actually, did you try making it a tad stronger? I notice that if I make my coffee too weak, it does taste a little on the sour side. I never noticed it until I started drinking it black though - cream masked it. Maybe the upgraded coffee needs to be a little stronger for you?

That is too bad! I liked the upgraded coffee, but it wasn't so great that I'd order more. I definitely don't recall a sour taste though (I do know what you mean, I've tasted that before). Actually, did you try making it a tad stronger? I notice that if I make my coffee too weak, it does taste a little on the sour side. I never noticed it until I started drinking it black though - cream masked it. Maybe the upgraded coffee needs to be a little stronger for you?

Well, I've already removed the coffee from my grinder, GLC1968, so it wouldn't be easy to try making it stronger. Guess I should've posted sooner!

My grinder uses dosage but when I measured coffee in the past (back when I had a whirly blade grinder), I used 2 scoops of coffee per 12-ounce cup. The doser on my current grinder is set at "2 cups" finely ground (one notch before espresso grind), which is what I use for each 12-ounce cup of coffee (I make my coffee by the cup, not by the pot).

I like other coffee black at this strength (Mayorga Mocha Java and Starbucks French Roast).

The Bulletproof site gives advice on how to source healthful beans. I'll try a coffee roaster in DC that has Central American beans and see if they're "wet method" beans, in which case I'll give them a try.

Oh Terez, that really is a bummer. Some people love it and others don't care for it.

I thought I was going to love it, Susan! Really surprised not to. As I realized I was going to pour another cup of black coffee down the drain, it clicked that I just don't like it.

The Bulletproof folks are processing my refund.

I hope it's kosher to make a post on the forum here offering my beans to someone else in DC.

Terez

I bought a bag of upgraded coffee, and I don't like it. There's a sharp note to the flavor that I find disagreeable. I'm having my first cup each day bulletproof-style with ghee, and thinking that there's something wrong with the taste but I'm drinking it.

Then my second cup that I'm having black, I have just a few sips and never finish it. I've got my second up of today's coffee sitting there. Forced a few sips but it tastes "off" to me and I'm not enjoying it.

They guarantee it so I guess I'll ask for a refund.

Terez

Terez,

How are you brewing your coffee? I don't know anything about Bulletproof coffee, but the notes you are talking about often come From too much water and not enough beans, or water that is too hot, too fine a grind for your brewing method orrrr... Steeping too long. Basically... The acidity in the bean comes out when you get past a certain point.... Folders etc are like Duncan heines cake mixes, you kindah ave to work to mess Em up in a drip machine. They are not great, but they never get tooooo awful either. Higher end coffees usually mean you need to take a bit of care on deciding how you will brew it. Once you know though they come out great every time. That said, different roast types appeal to different people and this one might not be for you.

Terez,

How are you brewing your coffee? I don't know anything about Bulletproof coffee, but the notes you are talking about often come From too much water and not enough beans, or water that is too hot, too fine a grind for your brewing method orrrr... Steeping too long. Basically... The acidity in the bean comes out when you get past a certain point.... Folders etc are like Duncan heines cake mixes, you kindah ave to work to mess Em up in a drip machine. They are not great, but they never get tooooo awful either. Higher end coffees usually mean you need to take a bit of care on deciding how you will brew it. Once you know though they come out great every time. That said, different roast types appeal to different people and this one might not be for you.

Hi Tracy,

I'm not the Folger's person. ;)

I use a Clever Coffee for my single cups, and a Chemex for my full pots.

My last beans were Mocha Java (medium roast) from a local roaster. And I like Starbucks' French Roast. Both of those beans brew up nice and tasty for me at the beans:water:temperature I use.

Admittedly my grind is on the fine side. It's possible that the Upgraded Coffee would have benefited from a coarser grind. If no one takes me up on my offer for the beans, I might give that a try. (Not feeling real enthusiastic about giving it another try but I might!)

Anham, do you plan to experiment with some of the variables to see if they might make for a more palatable Upgraded brew for you?

Terez

Sure. I didn't find the coffee unpalatable. It just didn't wow me, like the coffee did in Rome. That's what I want out if my coffee every morning. To drink it, and have my Roman Proustian moment! Lol.

But I'll try some if these variables, then try new beans.

I was the one drinking Folgers. Lol. As much as I love good coffee, I also just love coffee, so I'd rather drink Folgers than nothing. It was drinkable (with sweetener), but not black. And I can't do Statbucks. Their coffee tastes burned to me.

Hi Tracy,

I'm not the Folger's person. ;)

I use a http://www.amazon.com/ABID-CO-LTD-C-70888-Dripper/dp/B0047W70GY/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1360985880&sr=1-1&keywords=clever+coffee+dripper for my single cups, and a Chemex for my full pots.

My last beans were Mocha Java (medium roast) from a local roaster. And I like Starbucks' French Roast. Both of those beans brew up nice and tasty for me at the beans:water:temperature I use.

Admittedly my grind is on the fine side. It's possible that the Upgraded Coffee would have benefited from a coarser grind.

Terez

Terez, both those methods do better with a regular grind... I would go up a level or two in coarseness and make sure your water is not boiling when you pour it over. Might make a big difference. Sorry about the folgers thing! I should have checked :-)

Archived