Panera Bread Hidden Menu

Matthew Hillis

So I have been eating from the Hidden Menu the last 2 days for lunch. Is this Whole30?

Here is the link the website

http://mypanera.panerabread.com/articlestips/article/access-into-paneras-hidden-menu/

POWER MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN SALAD

All-natural, Antibiotic-free chicken, baby spinach, romaine, tomatoes, apple-wood smoked bacon, diced eggs, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil.

ha Renee, as you were posting I was searching. Here's the info:

Redacted and edited!

Breakfast:

Steak bowl - good to go!

Turkey bowl - ask for no pesto

Salads:

Med chicken - no go. Sugar in the chicken (and that's where I stopped reading)

Roasted turkey - if they can remove the pepperoncini, it's good

Chicken hummus bowl - nope. Obvi hummus is not okay, but there's sugar in the chicken

Steak wraps - ask for no pesto.

Robin had an ingredients list, but I can't find it now. I'm guessing sulfites?

also, I'm pretty sure the diced eggs were not just eggs but had other stuff (starch, maybe?).

Basically never assume something pre-made is ok without looking at the ingredients list even if it's marketed as "healthy". so frustrating.

I've had the steak bowl for breakfast a couple of times now. It's decent tasting and I LOVE having the option when I travel!!

The turkey salad is really, really bland but it is better than going hungry.

I've ordered off the hidden menu at three different Panera locations and at every one, they told me I was the first person to do so. I really, really hope more people start using it or I'm afraid they'll discontinue it!

Unfortunately it is not Whole30 compliant because it contains sugar, buttermilk powder, non-fat dry milk and sodium nitrite. Darn! I got my hopes up!

Ingredient List

Power Mediterranean Chicken

Citrus & pepper chicken (antibiotic free all natural boneless skinless chicken breast fillets with rib meat, water, seasoning [lemon, mangosteen, natural smoke flavor], sea salt, dehydrated garlic, dehydrated onion, sugar, dry lemon peel, spices, dehydrated rosemary, dehydrated basil, citric acid, malic acid and paprika for flavor, vinegar, rice starch), Romaine lettuce, baby spinach, tomatoes, diced egg topping (egg whites, egg yolks, modified food starch, salt, xanthan gum, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors [contains buttermilk powder and non-fat dry milk], annatto [natural color]), applewood smoked bacon (cured with water, salt, sugar, sodium phosphates, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite), Lemon Juice, 100% extra virgin olive oil.

Not to mention the rice starch, modified food starch and artificial flavourings. Guess I can stop feeling jealous there's none over here :) Nitrates are actually OK. However I looked up sodium erythorbate and Livestrong has this to say about it

"Sodium erythorbate has been found to cause general side effects such as headaches, body flushing, generalized fatigue and malaise, dizziness, lightheadedness and hemolysis, a condition where red blood cells rupture leading to anemia and other complications.

Sodium erythorbate can cause nausea, vomiting, heartburn, gastritis, abdominal cramping and diarrhea. These symptoms can lead to significant dehydration if not managed appropriately and in a timely manner.

Sodium erythorbate in high doses can lead to a buildup of acids in the bloodstream leading to the formation of kidney stones and the symptoms associated with them. These include flank pain, blood in the urine, and kidney and bladder infections."

Do they really think we want to eat this stuff? :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately it is not Whole30 compliant because it contains sugar, buttermilk powder, non-fat dry milk and sodium nitrite. Darn! I got my hopes up!

Ingredient List

Power Mediterranean Chicken

Citrus & pepper chicken (antibiotic free all natural boneless skinless chicken breast fillets with rib meat, water, seasoning [lemon, mangosteen, natural smoke flavor], sea salt, dehydrated garlic, dehydrated onion, sugar, dry lemon peel, spices, dehydrated rosemary, dehydrated basil, citric acid, malic acid and paprika for flavor, vinegar, rice starch), Romaine lettuce, baby spinach, tomatoes, diced egg topping (egg whites, egg yolks, modified food starch, salt, xanthan gum, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors [contains buttermilk powder and non-fat dry milk], annatto [natural color]), applewood smoked bacon (cured with water, salt, sugar, sodium phosphates, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite), Lemon Juice, 100% extra virgin olive oil.

I can't find this online anywhere, but this just stinks! I've had this salad 2X already. :(

• 1 month later...

FInally navigated my way through Panera Bread's nutrition site. With much disappointment I found the following re: their breakfast steak bowls being noncompliant:

Ingredient List

Power Breakfast Egg Bowl with Steak

Sirloin steak (beef top sirloin cap, seasoning [spice, dehydrated garlic, sea salt, canola oil]), pasteurized eggs, tomatoes, avocado, salt, black pepper, wheat starch.

The local Panera also uses a canola oil blend on their grills, which includes wheat starch. I guess I will stick with the Steak Lettuce Wraps with no pesto, since that is the only menu item I have found on their website that is whole30 approved.

I was going to go to Panera for lunch tomorrow but now that is out...the steak in the Steak Lettuce Wraps is cooked with Canola Oil too. :( I don't think my co-workers will want to hit Chipotle every week as that seems to be about the only place I can go (they don't do sashimi!).

The power went out last night and was still off this morning. We tried to fire up our gas grill outside but it wouldn't start. So we went to Panera and ordered the steal bowl thinking we were compliant. So the egg in the steak bowl is compliant but not the egg in the chicken bowl ? And the canola oil is the only non compliant thing in the steak bowl?

Canola is not banned from W30. If it were, nobody would be able to go out to eat and that isn't reasonable in real life. It isn't a desired oil, but it isn't prohibited.

Good to know!! Now my co-workers can be happy that I have more than one place on my list! :D

What about the wheat starch in the steak bowl from Panera? Is that compliant? I would not think so, but I may be wrong.

Maybe I missed it, but I think Robin checked out the steak bowl and okay'd it. She wouldn't have if it had wheat starch in it.

Archived